Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 June 2013, 17:01   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Yes, As an expert, I have been praising Ribeyes on this forum for many years. It is most gratifying to see how many people have listened, taken my advice and bought them.
OMG!!!! I'm worried...first I agree with Timw (and others)about ribeye being good boats.

Second..Don't worry Timw don't get carried away and think anyone listens to 'your advice' thinking you're an 'expert'.......feeding compete.
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2013, 18:01   #22
Member
 
TomLinley's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Ian . I really like it. Tbh Ribeye do need to be lifted up a bit and too be taken more seriously than they currently do. But i think they should have privateers which would be more refreshing rather than sponsored/connected same old same old double barrelled......look at me scenario!!
Wouldn't it be more beneficial and less biased and boring to get someone like biffer or Nos with more street cred to helm it and give an honest and again non linked unbiased opinion!
Thanks for your comment. In all honesty I have nothing to do with the magazine if this is what you are referring too.

I work as a marine consultant in the superyacht and commercial sectors, I looked at the powerboat and rib challenge and at first didn't want to enter as I am focused on our work and bigger craft, then one thing led to another I entered (as a fully paid entry)

I then looked at my options of craft, not for a freebee of what partnerships we can do, but what I believed would be the best boat/equipment for the job.

I have worked with Shockwave and they have a great set up, I knew if I were to do the event I would want shock mitigation and I believe they represent a great fresh look at seating- and above all else it works, hence the investment! I bought the seat two months ago and it was shipped 2 days after!

Next I chose Ribeye due to a number of reasons, I really like the 6m hull, I didn't want to go to big and knew the hull if set up right could make a good offshore boat. I then looked at its design and what I would needed to modify for the seat and the offshore conditions, again Ribeye were great as they were flexible and thought outside the box, allowing me a lot of time with their workshop guys to get the design right before building.

The boat is totally unique and will be used in my company for many purposes this year, the Mazda connection is a simple one, they are a partner of ours, we are using the event to promote their new tow vehicle, thus we are testing it out on the trip as our land support.

At the end of the year I will look to sell her, as next year I have to focus on other projects and would like to release the investment made into the Ribeye. Will be a real shame as she's a very fun boat to own.

She performs well and the shockwave seat and set up of the boat works a treat, if anyone would like a spin in her to try the seat for themselves, they are more than welcome to contact me for a run.

Best
Tom
__________________

__________________
TomLinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2013, 18:04   #23
Member
 
TomLinley's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Great unless you flip the boat? I know its rare to flip a rib but it does happen and the last place I'd want to be is strapped to the seat...
The lap belts are fitted so that you move in conjunction with the seat as it floats from the deck. Personally I don't run with them that often as I am not sure about belts on an open boat at speed, but when in the really rough stuff, it does secure you to the moving seat and console.

They are on a quick release flight style belt.
__________________
TomLinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 01:44   #24
RIBnet supporter
 
C2 RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Ian . I really like it. Tbh Ribeye do need to be lifted up a bit and too be taken more seriously than they currently do. But i think they should have privateers which would be more refreshing rather than sponsored/connected same old same old double barrelled......look at me scenario!!
Wouldn't it be more beneficial and less biased and boring to get someone like biffer or Nos with more street cred to helm it and give an honest and again non linked unbiased opinion!
Ok so "privateers" should be the only listened to group who use boats for leisure seperate to others who skipper boats for thousands of nautical miles and almost daily and have used many boats over the years. I accept my choice is Ribeye for my business. Many of us using these boats commercially have tested them in all conditions ( force 8 last week as an example) and have seen thousands of hrs put on the engines. I am not sponsored by them, I pay my hard earned cash to keep my business afloat using their boats and I looked at many other products when going to an 8.5metre boat, so guess I am connected here as outlined. I have raised points before and on each time I have been listened to and the matters changed/ fixed by Ribeye including the latest development of the 850s which is now proving to be a sound buy for the business

Whilst out with an independant boat tester in recent weeks this person stated they would have the Ribeye 600 over the 650 ( totally different hulls) as they too had tested them in all conditions. We have also been involved in tests where armstrong brackets were fitted to a 650 and 785 and the tested- tried to see if they were poor into, with and broadside to waves, scared me but the boats stayed perfectly seated.

I know Biff who has done some great work for me on Ribtecs( also now a Ribeye product) and if memory serves me was involved in building these quite a few years ago and does know the business much better than me.

I am not sure where you get the "taken more seriously than they currently do". That appears to be only on this forum as they sell boats worldwide and have a great reputation ( including super yacht tenders). I accept what is good for one user may not suit another but the constant "slagging" of a fantastic product and business is disheartening and as I said in my earlier biting- the people behind the scenes work very hard to make their business successful and it is a shame we see so much against them. It seems to be what we do in the UK if someone / thing is successful we try to knock them down

Last words from me now on this subject
__________________
Ian
Rib charter and Rib hire with www.c2ribs.co.uk
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 02:12   #25
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Ok so "privateers" should be the only listened to group who use boats for leisure seperate to others who skipper boats for thousands of nautical miles and almost daily and have used many boats over the years. I accept my choice is Ribeye for my business. Many of us using these boats commercially have tested them in all conditions ( force 8 last week as an example) and have seen thousands of hrs put on the engines. I am not sponsored by them, I pay my hard earned cash to keep my business afloat using their boats and I looked at many other products when going to an 8.5metre boat, so guess I am connected here as outlined. I have raised points before and on each time I have been listened to and the matters changed/ fixed by Ribeye including the latest development of the 850s which is now proving to be a sound buy for the business

Whilst out with an independant boat tester in recent weeks this person stated they would have the Ribeye 600 over the 650 ( totally different hulls) as they too had tested them in all conditions. We have also been involved in tests where armstrong brackets were fitted to a 650 and 785 and the tested- tried to see if they were poor into, with and broadside to waves, scared me but the boats stayed perfectly seated.

I know Biff who has done some great work for me on Ribtecs( also now a Ribeye product) and if memory serves me was involved in building these quite a few years ago and does know the business much better than me.

I am not sure where you get the "taken more seriously than they currently do". That appears to be only on this forum as they sell boats worldwide and have a great reputation ( including super yacht tenders). I accept what is good for one user may not suit another but the constant "slagging" of a fantastic product and business is disheartening and as I said in my earlier biting- the people behind the scenes work very hard to make their business successful and it is a shame we see so much against them. It seems to be what we do in the UK if someone / thing is successful we try to knock them down

Last words from me now on this subject
well said Ian, nowt wrong with a well informed personal opinion, after all this is a forum not a court room, we can all have an opinion, and I agree that ribeye do seem to offer a good commercial package, I know of one business that has just traded in the"old" Ribeyes for new ones, so that says a lot foe the quality and overall package
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 02:26   #26
Member
 
TomLinley's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post

well said Ian, nowt wrong with a well informed personal opinion, after all this is a forum not a court room, we can all have an opinion, and I agree that ribeye do seem to offer a good commercial package, I know of one business that has just traded in the"old" Ribeyes for new ones, so that says a lot foe the quality and overall package
:thumbs
__________________
TomLinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 02:35   #27
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Well said Ian
The Ribeye bashing gets so boring on here (tall poppy syndrome!)
I have had an Osprey Viper in the past which is a brand some think is the best thing since sliced bread and I did look at getting anther but it did not come as such a good all round package well laid out and ticking all the boxes I wanted!
Ribquest do now make a good alternative but I at the time could remember the shocking quality of them when they where first launched they had a terrible build quality but they are now making a great product by all account.
Been very pleased with my choice great little rib just the right size for what I wanted as I can only manage 6m on the drive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Ok so "privateers" should be the only listened to group who use boats for leisure seperate to others who skipper boats for thousands of nautical miles and almost daily and have used many boats over the years. I accept my choice is Ribeye for my business. Many of us using these boats commercially have tested them in all conditions ( force 8 last week as an example) and have seen thousands of hrs put on the engines. I am not sponsored by them, I pay my hard earned cash to keep my business afloat using their boats and I looked at many other products when going to an 8.5metre boat, so guess I am connected here as outlined. I have raised points before and on each time I have been listened to and the matters changed/ fixed by Ribeye including the latest development of the 850s which is now proving to be a sound buy for the business

Whilst out with an independant boat tester in recent weeks this person stated they would have the Ribeye 600 over the 650 ( totally different hulls) as they too had tested them in all conditions. We have also been involved in tests where armstrong brackets were fitted to a 650 and 785 and the tested- tried to see if they were poor into, with and broadside to waves, scared me but the boats stayed perfectly seated.

I know Biff who has done some great work for me on Ribtecs( also now a Ribeye product) and if memory serves me was involved in building these quite a few years ago and does know the business much better than me.

I am not sure where you get the "taken more seriously than they currently do". That appears to be only on this forum as they sell boats worldwide and have a great reputation ( including super yacht tenders). I accept what is good for one user may not suit another but the constant "slagging" of a fantastic product and business is disheartening and as I said in my earlier biting- the people behind the scenes work very hard to make their business successful and it is a shame we see so much against them. It seems to be what we do in the UK if someone / thing is successful we try to knock them down

Last words from me now on this subject
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 02:56   #28
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Well said Ian
The Ribeye bashing gets so boring on here (tall poppy syndrome!)
I have had an Osprey Viper in the past which is a brand some think is the best thing since sliced bread and I did look at getting anther but it did not come as such a good all round package well laid out and ticking all the boxes I wanted!
Ribquest do now make a good alternative but I at the time could remember the shocking quality of them when they where first launched they had a terrible build quality but they are now making a great product by all account.
Been very pleased with my choice great little rib just the right size for what I wanted as I can only manage 6m on the drive.
to be honest, I think the bashing of any rib is a touch boring, there's a rib for everyone out there somewhere, and somewhere someone will think any rib is just what they wanted, it's all down to personnel taste
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 03:24   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,194
C2 ...I have neither stated or implied Ribeye are.. this is not a Ribeye bashing atall,I have never disliked them at all. I think they are well built Ribs and really do like the look of the 550 and i would not have had a quote for one if i disliked them or were inferior.. I mean what other 5meter Rib has good seating for 6?? etc the problem i have is the same old people doing the Big I Am.
Its a touch boring. And what i mean reference connected is, Hugo Swan Monty... Magazine....face in every picture....Tom swan Linley...Magazine....Hugo Swan......take a picture of me....Tom Linley Swan......I this .... I that..

I dont think you are the best ambassador for a good Product you are pluggin TBH.


Quote:
Thanks for your comment. In all honesty I have nothing to do with the magazine if this is what you are referring too.
Must have been your Twin Brother driving the Ribquest 4.9 ...another round the Island contender then so i got told!
Blimey are you testing every boat out there Mr Linley.
Mr Linley, we all know your in a privileged position but tone it down old boy. I commissioned this..... I work as this......me me me...
__________________
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 04:16   #30
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
We all have our faults, just like Ribs, but usually we are all liked by someone.

Regarding HMS and Tom (the latter I know not so much of), but people's actions can be interpreted in different ways.

Whether or not they do things for their own ego, if that's what you're inferring, I like the fact they produce a good magazine and post interesting builds/pics on here respectively. Who else is doing it or building such an innovative boat.

If they didn't I think the site would be far less interesting and their would be no magazine for a whole load of readers and British trades to advertise in.

I for one support their actions and posts, however can make no judgement on their motives or personalities, but don't care if they're not hurting anyone or actively putting others out of business.
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.