Boat name: Smudger
Make: CJR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Selva Antibes 35
Send a message via MSN to 1492
RIBEYE 2.90 Gel Coat UPDATE

HI to all members

Well the saga continues!

I had an email from the sales rep from Ribeye and he asked me to contact the dealer re: repairing the boat.

Rang the dealer told him I do not want it repaired, I want it replaced! He kept going on about Ribeye will get it repaired and was not interested in replacing it!

I went and visited the dealer and told him that a number of my friends were boat builders / laminators and advised me to decline the repairs as it would crack again in 3 - 6 months time and you would be as risk of the water entering the fibreglass and causing further damage.

They also said that a gel coat repair is never a complete fix as the fibreglass is already weakened enough for it to eventually crack and maybe even disintegrate causing the boat to break apart.

He said if it made me happy I could choose a repairer of my choice! Anyway after that I agreed to having the boat inspected by a reputable boat builder in Cowes and that the dealer would call me on Wednesday to update me on the progress.
Well I did not hear from him at all!

I also spoke to other boat dealers on the Island and they agreed that the boat should be replaced immediately by the dealer and has nothing to do with manufacturers etc.

I have just talked to the dealer and he just told me he has not had a definate date when the repairer can look at it.

I have informed him that I want it replaced and am going to trading standards on Monday! Cancel the repair appointment etc.

So that's the saga so far!

Garry
Old 28 February 2004, 14:28   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
ribeye 2.9

who is the dealer on the island
Old 28 February 2004, 15:00   #3

Town: Isle of Wight
Boat name: Smudger
Make: CJR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Selva Antibes 35
Send a message via MSN to 1492
Ribeye 2.90

Hi Tim

Kevin Mole Outboards, Cowes.

Regards

Garry
Old 28 February 2004, 17:03   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
1492 I didn't expect to hear any different
Have you asked the assistance of the leag team of your marine insurance? Just a thought
You should ask their solicitors to send a letter to the dealer (not RIBEYE your contract is with the dealer) and ask for immediate replacement (within a week say) of the boat (stating the reasons etc) otherwise they will take legal action against him on your behalf. I don;t think that it should cost you (except your preimium may go up a little bit but you get a new boat ).
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2004, 06:46   #5

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
gel coat repairs

go for a refund
as the goods you were sold are faulty, and some dealers do get a bit sulky after losing money , so you are not going to get the best sevice from now on are you and he is the only yam dealer on the island
tim