Boat name: Viking
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp
Ribex

Anyone going to the Ribex show in 2011?
Old 31 December 2010, 12:53   #2

Length: 7m +
I went last year, it wasn't great to be honust. I expect I will pop over again this year just for a look at any new Ribs. It's probably better if you attend the evenings entertainment as well but I just go for a quick look as im reasonably local
Old 31 December 2010, 14:18   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Been to most of them since started in Weymouth.

Shall be there again2011 (at least on the agenda)

Bogi
Old 19 January 2011, 17:20   #4

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
I will be there...

And the last day i will go home with RIB (on water) to stockholm
Old 19 January 2011, 18:31   #5

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I've tried to visit by rib the last couple of years but weathers a bit unreliable at that time of year it seems. Doesn't sound like I've missed much but I haven't been since it was at Southampton so I might fly over this year for a day.
Old 20 January 2011, 14:29   #6

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
but weathers a bit unreliable at that time of year
I reckon the trick with jollies like this is to try and leave the dates free and see what the weather is doing at the time, it is an easy enough crossing using here as a jumping off point.

Mid-May can be cracking, or at least is was when I were a lad.
Old 20 January 2011, 15:15   #7

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Your right it was, always a bit unsettled these days it seems
Old 20 January 2011, 16:19   #8

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
it is an easy enough crossing using here as a jumping off point.
That sounds like a crafty ploy to get picked up en route
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 16:26   #9

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Quote:

Everyone always bangs on about how pleasant the 50's years were
Old 20 January 2011, 19:15   #10

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
It helps to remember what the weather is like that time of year when an event like Ribex is around to help jog the memory.

We've had some really good trips to Ribex as a family in the last few years, and I can remember 3 years ago desperately seaking out some shade to eat lunch as the sun and heat was becoming quite unbearable.

On the other hand, I think 4 or 5 years ago, the show closed early because it hadn't stopped raining the whole time, and I can still remember Nauti buoy's miserable soaking wet image, having been sat on his boat in a waterproof coat for 3 days waiting to take non-existant punters out on demo runs.

Nasher
Old 21 January 2011, 07:49   #11

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
On the other hand, I think 4 or 5 years ago, the show closed early because it hadn't stopped raining the whole time, and I can still remember Nauti buoy's miserable soaking wet image, having been sat on his boat in a waterproof coat for 3 days waiting to take non-existant punters out on demo runs.

Nasher
That was the last one I did!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 08:09   #12

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
i went last year, well i went to check on my house really, walking through the town i finished up with a load of free pass's, so i had a look, to be honest, every year there are some nice boats but there is nothing new, the last good looking new rib i looked at was the pascoe, my opinion.
Old 21 January 2011, 08:14   #13

Town: River Hamble
We are in a bit of a dilemma over this one; we have exhibited at Ribex for 6 years now. I like think as we are one of the few companies that will take cash at the show rather then potential orders we get a pretty good idea of quality visitor numbers. Last year was the worst of all 6 it was even worse than the washout! I really think trying to include a music festival doesn’t help. I don’t know what other opinions were on last year it would be good to hear.
Another question to other exhibitors would be IOW what are your genuine thoughts on the location? For us taking stock etc over on the ferry it works out more expensive to do Ribex for 3 days than it would cost to do Southampton for 10.
Old 21 January 2011, 08:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
We are in a bit of a dilemma over this one; we have exhibited at Ribex for 6 years now. I like think as we are one of the few companies that will take cash at the show rather then potential orders we get a pretty good idea of quality visitor numbers. Last year was the worst of all 6 it was even worse than the washout! I really think trying to include a music festival doesn’t help. I don’t know what other opinions were on last year it would be good to hear.
Another question to other exhibitors would be IOW what are your genuine thoughts on the location? For us taking stock etc over on the ferry it works out more expensive to do Ribex for 3 days than it would cost to do Southampton for 10.
the location is wrong, think back to weymouth when we were both at ribtec, now that was a good venue, i didn't mind ocean village, good transport services for everybody, and the girls can do retail therapy in the shops.
on a personal note have you any hypalon glue handy, i reckon i'm going to run out over the weekend
Old 21 January 2011, 08:37   #15

Town: River Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
on a personal note have you any hypalon glue handy, i reckon i'm going to run out over the weekend
Plenty 250ml 1lt and 5lts
Old 21 January 2011, 08:43   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
It's probably better if you attend the evenings entertainment as well but I just go for a quick look as im reasonably local
I didn't stay for "RIBfest" last year but from what I hear it wasn't exactly a runaway success. I was a bit surprised to see that they're doing it again to be honest.

This year's headline acts are The Hamsters and Doctor Feelgood, with special guest acts including Swans In Flight and Mr So & So - featuring Steve Rothery of Marillion. I expect that Rogue Wave might like it!
Old 21 January 2011, 10:01   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

Nasher
Oh I remember that one well, I don't think we will be there this year either. Personally I think they should combine it with Sports Boat and Rib show. As an exhibitor there are only so many shows you can afford to do and with each show ranging from £4k - £15k to exhibit at it really stacks up!
Old 21 January 2011, 11:15   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I worked there in 2008 and don't see how it justified the cost to exhibit and I totally see Kieron's point regarding transporting stock etc. 2008 was a scorcher (weather-wise) but despite that I only did 2 demos and didn't take any orders. I am pretty sure we didn't gain any business at all from it. Last year I took the wife and kids and did the entire thing in half hour. If it hadn't been for the demo I had on a solent 6.5 and the great pub lunch then it would definitely have been a wasted trip...

Compare that to the SB&R show at ocean village and it's a bit of a no brainer. About the same amount of content but fewer logistics problems and plenty of parking....
You get the picture.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 11:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
I worked there in 2008 and don't see how it justified the cost to exhibit and I totally see Kieron's point regarding transporting stock etc. 2008 was a scorcher (weather-wise) but despite that I only did 2 demos and didn't take any orders. I am pretty sure we didn't gain any business at all from it. Last year I took the wife and kids and did the entire thing in half hour. If it hadn't been for the demo I had on a solent 6.5 and the great pub lunch then it would definitely have been a wasted trip...

Compare that to the SB&R show at ocean village and it's a bit of a no brainer. About the same amount of content but fewer logistics problems and plenty of parking....
You get the picture.

plus you see a lot of lovely old boats with even older drivers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0018.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	56617  
Old 21 January 2011, 12:02   #20

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
From a purely punters view point.

If the weather is nice we can make a family day out of it as a nice ride out in the RIB, with something different to go and see at the destination. We always bump into lots of Ribnetters though, so the social element is there as well.
The RIBs on show are always the same, and anything new is normally so crowded that as a family we can’t get near it.

If the weather is bad it’s 50/50 if it’s worth going, but we do don drysuits and helmets and brave it just like other trips out. I’m sure plenty stay at home.

If it was this side of the water we would still go, but we do like being able to arrive by RIB.
It wouldn’t be so special though.
I can however see the cost implications from the traders point of view.

One real downside is the size of the pontoons and the feeling that as a family many of the traders with boats for demos make you feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome. Present company excepted of course, but that’s because we can walk up and say hello because we already know you.

Because the pontoons are so narrow, in many places you can’t simply walk up alongside a Rib to have a look without trying to get around all the other people, and without being stared at by the salesman who you can see thinking “Not another family of dreamers wasting my time”.

Oh and we never eat at the show because of the expense, we go into Cowes and get something instead.

I think what sums it up is that despite the weather being reasonable last year we didn’t go, partly because we had other things we could do that wouldn’t be exactly the same next year.

Nasher.