Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 21 January 2002, 20:23   #1

Town: Jacksonville, Florida
Make: Nautica / former Police boat
Length: 5.89
Engine: 115 Yamaha 4-stroke
Ribex 2002

Can anyone direct me on how to get to the RIBEX 2002 show at Ocean Village in Southampton, I believe on the 17th to the 19th of May. Info such as places to stay, (places with local flair) How to get there from your local airport ie. Heathrow Intl. I have never been to your country (UK) and thought that it would be great to visit and engage in the local ambiance and check out whats new in rigid inflatable boats. May even consider a home/boat swap for a couple of days....a bit of food for thought? My humble north floridian villa here in the U.S. for the same in lets say Southhampton for 4-5 days. I could easily follow up with picture of my home, if such a route were followed....
Thanks for responding, Didier
Old 23 January 2002, 12:12   #2

RIBEX - Disapointing Brit response

Several days ago, I had posted a thread that was focused on coming to your island to visit a trade show, RIBEX 2002.
Not a single response, not one. I would have thought that you would want to show off your island, promote unity amongst ribsters or just plain folks. Well, by reading how you brits view Americans, I am not surprised, (Re:The buffon who launched his boat & trailer as discribed in another thread) You know, the U.S. is composed
of every conceivable ethnic, religious and racial background. I was born and raised in France and lived (not visited) in 8 different countries, hense I came up with a theory: People are the same thruout the world, its the governments that wage a mental challenge. I certainly hope that you English folks are warmer in receiving visitors that share common likes and interest and are not so closed minded that you can't even give directions regarding airports or on a place to stay...............ah oui, we even bring the money to spend in your land, so you see, we are not looking for a hand-out. Didier
P.S. I had made many Scottish and Welsh friends when I was serving in the French Legion, they tought me how to speak and write in English, it took 5 years, but it worked...fond memories...long ago..................
Old 23 January 2002, 12:49   #3

Town: N.C.

Didier,
Getting to to Ribex shouldn't be a problem. I flew into Gatwick, hopped a train to Portsmouth,( the train leaves from the airport, the platforms are not well marked, so ask the ticket agent for the paltform #) and stayed at the Royal Albert Yacth Club, cheap and cheerful, but there are plenty of places to stay in Southampton as well. Have a safe trip.
Neil
Old 23 January 2002, 14:31   #4

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
re:RIBEX - Disapointing Brit response

Perhaps there is an electronic gremlin trying to perpetuate the myth that the Brits and French can't get along!

I did send you some info via the RIBnet messaging system yesterday as my email was playing up...... your request did not fall on deaf ears!!!

If you cannot retrieve the info I will find it again.
Old 23 January 2002, 14:36   #5
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
That's southerners for you Didier. Need I say more?

If Ribex was "up north" you would be most welcome on the Isle of Man.

Not being part of the EU we don't have a problem with Johnny Foreigner wanting to rule the UK from Brussels, and not even with the French expecting the rest of Europe to keep their agricultural industry in the inefficient and money-grabbing manner to which it has become accustomed, so that they can fiddle their way in to monetary union by raiding the Telecoms pension fund.

No grudges to bear up here mon ami.

A bientot
Old 23 January 2002, 15:16   #6

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Didier

Oh dear, I'm sorry we seemed so unfriendly

I must point out that my response to the 'Trailer Under the Boat' story was a story of my own about an Englishman who did something stupid with a trailer.

If they ever bring RibEx to Inverness, you'll be most welcome to use my facilities in Scotland.

You see the thing with people down South is that they are a bit 'soft'. They grow up in a warmer climate than in the Midlands and Scotland. The wind is more gentle, the snow hardly ever falls, the trains run on time, wages are much more, they get more hollidays, they have the Millenium Dome (ha ha ha ha! - perhaps life is not so perfect after all!)

Cheers

Keith (friendly) Hart

PS That last comment was a JOKE so please don't shout at me....
Old 23 January 2002, 15:25   #7

Hello again

Just to prove my point. Here is a photograph of the sea cliffs at Yesnaby in Orkney. This is what Ribsters from the North of Scotland would consider a calm sea. Bear in mind that these cliffs are over 150 feet high!

They don't get waves like this down South.

Cheers

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sea.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	250  
Old 23 January 2002, 15:31   #8

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
You must remember Keith, the Millenium Dome proves that folks who live in the South have a sense of humour!

Having lived just by Land's end for many years its nice to see your picture of the millpond conditions you get further north.
Old 23 January 2002, 15:46   #9

Town: Newfoundland
Hang on just one darn minute..............

you post a question two days ago and don't get a response so then decide that we are all a bunch of xenophobes who hate the Yanks, the French and don't want you coming to RIBEX??!!!

Isn't that just a little bit OTT?!!!!!!

The boat and trailer story is an Urban myth in the same manner as the Lighthouse and US Aircraft carrier story. I don't think its a particular dig at the Americans at all. Of course it IS one of those things that could only happen in America.....................

To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen on this board any kind of serious abuse. racial or otherwise, apart of course from that between Messrs Corlett and Priddy which is all in Jest. And since Allen C is a Northern Hairdresser its all justified! (He did very kindly buy me a pint of Guiness at the boatshow last week so he's not all bad)

So mon cher Didier, I think you are being a little hasty in your judgement of us all, and I do take a little exception to this. Particularly as having read your post last night around midnight I thought that I would, when time permitted reply with directions and info, plus an invite since you are travelling so far to join in some RIB cruising whilst you were here! (Something that I think we could organise through RIB.NET or BIBOA.)

Still you were born in France and the French are of course the traditional enemy so what should we expect?? (1066 an all that.)

In hoping that you DO have a sense of humour,
regards,

Alan W
Old 23 January 2002, 16:14   #10
Hairdresser

French? Humour? No chance
Old 23 January 2002, 16:21   #11

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
as per the other messages you may have been a bitquick off the mark I am a regular viewer of this forum but only just got to see your message. for a place to stay you could look at http://www.smoothhound.co.uk If you are comming I would sugest you try to arrive at Heathrow as the train connections are easier. If you have problems feel free to mail me (an ex northerner now in the South)

John
Old 23 January 2002, 16:53   #12

Boujour mes amis

Le French may avec been les enemies traditionale de les Anglaise mais Le French avec plus temps avec been les allaies de les Jocks!

By the way take a look at the picture again and you will just make out me in my 3.4m SIB waving at the photographer as I round the point, naked, with no compas or GPS or lifejacket, whilst steering with my left foor on the tiller, reading a book. I had just poped out to the shop on a local island to get some more sack cloth to make into a shirt! The locals thought that I was a bit soft as I had taken the boat and had not swum across with both arms tied behind my back.

Keith (my drugs are running low) Hart
Old 23 January 2002, 17:44   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Alternativly, it could be because no-one thought that RIBEX was worth going to and would not like to be blamed for you having a crap time!!

I aggree that everyone is the same in the world and I have made many friends in many countries on my boating travels. Check out www.spirit-of-cardiff.com & www.offshore-expeditions.com for proof.
I have to say that your comments are a bit on the strong side but having owned and run my own business in Florida I can understand why you got upset when no-one replied in the time that you wanted them to....We also live in a multi culture society and have come to learn the difference between them. Try getting anything done in The west country on time? I hope that the comments on the forum have not put you off. In fact it has demonstated the unity between Ribsters. My recomendation is that you DO come over and meet the finest bunch of idiots that you will ever meet in the World. Unfortunatly I am not around for RIBEX ( and wouldnt go anyway) but I am scheduled for a fuel stop in Ft Lauderdale & Wilmington about a week before. Zirzap is handling the Wilmington stop so it would be nice to meet you.

Alan P with a serious head on
Old 23 January 2002, 18:57   #14

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Ouch!!!

As the original poster of the "trailer" joke maybe I chose the wrong subject but the thread was supposed to start a discussion on "interesting trailer stories" - which it did........

I was also having a dig at Keith - the only person who dosn't need a trailer - and might have made the same mistake if he'd tried to use one

I used emotions to express that it was a joke

Anyway - I hope you understand that I wasn't being countryist -- I just copied it as a joke

I live in Bristol and won't be going to Ribex - hence I left it to the locals to post a reply on the other subject

Hopefully this will be the end of this thread - as this type of thing drags on. Yesturday I was commenting how this is one of the best behaved "newsgroups" that I read - long may this continue
Bye for now....
Old 23 January 2002, 19:23   #15
Hairdresser

Well, well. One slap on the wrist and look what happens - grovelling all round

Another award for Alan P - the Order of the "Nez Brun" would be appropriate
Old 25 January 2002, 01:11   #16

Ribster solidarity

Your response was exceptional as was your sense of British Humor and show of true solidarity. The lure of the sea does move the spirits of mariners around the globe and pride of that spirit does indeed reign in your hearts... From a transplanted french man.

This is indeed a most excellent site dedicated to la bonne vie...
Please note >I am not a member of the" NEZ BRUN" clan either.
Old 25 January 2002, 07:34   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Looks like that's sorted out then!

I have merged the original three threads into this one to keep it all together -- that's why we've got different buttons for "post reply" and "new thread"

John