Old 14 May 2007, 10:19   #1

Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
RIBEX 1st Timer

Having missed the RIBEX in previous years it was with great enthusiasm that we set out by RIB from Chichester (Saturday).

Having braved the rough sea we arrived around midday to find that trying to berth in the RIBEX visitors area was almost impossible, there was no officials around (or visible) to advise us, at it all seemed quite chaotic.

We ended up berthing in the main pontoon area (not the RIBex visitors area) and it cost us less that the (Ribex £12 berth fee + 1 entrance)

Coming from the diving community (although not a potential buyer at this time) we were expecting to see some ribs setup for diving / rough sea work.

The only one we were impressed with was an 8m(ish) XS RIB that was also berthed in the main marina bit (so I guessed it to was not a show exhibitor), all the others seemed to be for fair weather trips (apart from Nautibuoys - love to know why its already for sale?)

One that did amuse us was one that had 2 glasses and a champagne bottle holder built into a delve in the forward seat - have some of these manufacturers actually put to sea in the solent on an average day?

The dutch lifeboat was impressive - but id like to know when a boat stops being a rib just because they put an inflatable tube around it, the same goes for some of the sports ribs at the show - Some of them have such small sponsons they are really just sports boats pretending to be a rib.... A Rib to me should have bigish sponsons (let the argument commence!)

The land stalls interesting, but having been a trade exhibitor myself at shows before and knowing thet being a exhibitor is not a cheap option, I echo what others say about boat exhibitors seeming to spend more time talking to each other, they should have been at least trying to hand out leaflets on the specs of their boats.

To summarise - worth going for the price (especially as a local pub had £1 off vouchers - good job we went there before paying for the show ticket!) with many pretty boats if you've got money but no intention to go to sea unless its calm.

Would I go to the show again - probably not.

Pete
><(((º>
Old 14 May 2007, 10:29   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
The only one we were impressed with was an 8m(ish) XS RIB that was also berthed in the main marina bit (so I guessed it to was not a show exhibitor), all the others seemed to be for fair weather trips (apart from Nautibuoys - love to know why its already for sale?)
Glad you liked my rib, yep she went out loads of times, full of passengers all of which came back dry and saying what a fantastic rib. The only reason I have NOW SOLD her is because I am just about to order another Parker 900 Baltic but Safari set up as I have a requirement for more seats, so the next rib will have physical seating for 12 paying passengers and 2 crew as where now I can only seat 10. Full details and spec of new rib will be posted shortly. But she will look something like this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Nauti Buoy.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	26821  
Old 14 May 2007, 10:48   #3

Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
Yes its a nice rib youve got, I do like rear consoles though (like on the one your planning to get), Not trying to panda to your vanity but yours was one of the few at the show that looked like a proper rib - built for UK weather.

><())º>
Old 14 May 2007, 11:00   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Glad you liked my rib, yep she went out loads of times, full of passengers all of which came back dry and saying what a fantastic rib. The only reason I have NOW SOLD her is because I am just about to order another Parker 900 Baltic but Safari set up as I have a requirement for more seats, so the next rib will have physical seating for 12 paying passengers and 2 crew as where now I can only seat 10. Full details and spec of new rib will be posted shortly. But she will look something like this.

Hi Richard,

If you remember back to the original Parker 900 Baltic thread I did query as to why you had gone for a less conventional seating arrangement for a commercial venture. I guess your getting more business than you expected and its time to take the job up full time.
Sounds like your doing well. Does this mean there is space in the Solent for more Charter Work. Both you, Tim and Jimbo seem to have taken off with a flurry this year.

Regards NR.
Old 14 May 2007, 11:04   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
The dutch lifeboat was impressive - but id like to know when a boat stops being a rib just because they put an inflatable tube around it, the same goes for some of the sports ribs at the show - Some of them have such small sponsons they are really just sports boats pretending to be a rib.... A Rib to me should have bigish sponsons (let the argument commence!)

><(((º>
Pete,

I didn't go to the show and haven't seen the Dutch Lifeboat but this is a point I have raised before. I think once a boat gets to a certain size tubes aren't needed. And if its a small boat they need tubes that are big enough to actually do something. They help tremendously on small boats in rough seas but once you get to Pilot boat size then I really don't see the need for them. Has anyone on RIBNET got a 20 Meter plus boat with tubes on it. And if so what benefit do the tubes give ?
Old 14 May 2007, 12:31   #6

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Pete,
...once you get to Pilot boat size then I really don't see the need for them. Has anyone on RIBNET got a 20 Meter plus boat with tubes on it. And if so what benefit do the tubes give ?
I expect they make nice fenders going up against something bigger when it's rough?
Old 14 May 2007, 16:37   #7

Town: Portsmouth, Hants
The Tubes on the Dutch Lifeboat were BIG! They must add stability but must make it harder to get onboard and most probably hard to pick up a MOB.
Boatcareuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 18:38   #8

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Speaking of the Dutch Lifeboat - was interested to see that no one heading out for a spin on it over the weekend was wearing lifejackets.
I know it was huge, sturdy etc, but was still surprised to see what was happening.
Old 15 May 2007, 05:26   #9

Boat name: Ribell
They forgot to bring them

People were only outside till just outside the marina then we all had to go inside whilst the bloke in survival suit stayed outside.

The guys who run the boat believe the tubes are a major advantage in very heavy seas, giving the boat a lot of support making manoeuvres safer.

The demo run we had was just great. The two 1000hp jet drives gave the skipper fantastic control and us a trip in a RIB quite like nothing I have tried before.

To be honest, knowing we were in very safe hands, inside a boat that self rights and being whizzed about by a skipper that had plenty of concern for the safety of his passengers, I would have no hesitation of putting me and my children on the boat again without lifejackets (it's not quite in the same league as a normal fast rib ride).

Tim
Old 15 May 2007, 07:19   #10

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
SNIP as I have a requirement for more seats, so the next rib will have physical seating for 12 paying passengers and 2 crew as where now I can only seat 10.
Hi Richard,
Did you have a problem with HMRC with having only 10 seats?
Andy
Old 15 May 2007, 08:11   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
Hi Richard,
Did you have a problem with HMRC with having only 10 seats?
Andy
Hi

No, no problem, just personal preference as I prefer to only carry what I have physical seating for and I have found having that size rib she always ends up full of passengers, so ended up taking an extra rib along for 3/4 people which is daft.

Richard