Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 June 2007, 17:27   #1

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
Ribcraft Professional v 7.5 Sport

I notice that Ribcraft sell a 7.5 Sport model that is described as "designed to be faster and sleeker than the Ribcraft Professional range of Ribs. The 750 Sport still enjoys the same classic Ribcraft characteristics ... soft dry ride, deep forefoot to the outstanding handling being very sure footed in tight turns, large head, beam and following seas."

This seems a little contradictory, because for a RIB to be "faster" than an otherwise identical RIB (length, weight & power) it must have a shallower V.

So I'm left wondering if a Ribcraft 7.5 Sport would give a softer ride to either a Ribcraft 6.8 Professional or my Solent 6.5. Does the 7.5 Sport have a shallower V? I'd welcome your views.
Old 20 June 2007, 20:02   #2
RJH

Town: Southampton
Hi. We've just taken delivery of a 750 Sport and even though I can't find the exact spec I'm wondering if the beam is any narrower on the Sport compared to the professional models. I seem to remember hearing that from someone. I don't believe the V is any shallower but stand to be corrected. The other thing is what does the brouchure mean by "faster"? Does it mean simply top speed or its ability to cover more distance in a given time due to the hull design?

I'm no expert in these matters but do know that we are very pleased with the way it handles and whilst we've not had her out in anything really lumpy I know other people have had theirs out in those sort of conditions and have found the boat solid and fast.

We tested a similar sized Solent at Ribex 2006 and didn't find the ride anywhere near as solid as the Ribcraft and that helped us to make up our minds. If its any use we are out most weekends at the moment so if you wanted to jump aboard we'd be happy to help.
Old 20 June 2007, 20:06   #3

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
when i was down at ribcraft getting my tubes fitted etc they were telling me about the new sport models, from what i remember i think they are sharper at the front end and that is what gives them the speed edge over the blunter models.
Old 20 June 2007, 20:36   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
They ride with the tubes well clear of the water too which gives them a few extra knots
Old 21 June 2007, 21:36   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
I also have a 750 Sport.

Although boat construction/design is not my thing (I should probably just stick to the massage ), I've been running my 750 Sport for almost a year now and have also been recently trialling some more commercial spec Ribcrafts.

The Ribcraft boys will, I suspect, better explain this, but it appears to me that the hull design of the 750 Sport has not been compromised to afford higher speeds. I have found it to be a fantastic hull which has superbly handled in all states of sea and gives a noticeably cushioned and dry ride.

I would imagine that boat weight is a factor. I would expect the 750 Sport to be a lighter than, say a 7.8, given that she has a sleeker design in general and more "leisure"-type fittings.

I've had 52kts so far out of my 750 Sport - and that's with a Suzuki 250 with 23" s/s prop on the back - with 6ppl & full load and not WOT. Would expect to be able to improve on this. If I recall rightly, a Ribcraft 7.8 with a Suzuki 300 would be expected to make ~50-52kts.

Like RJH, I also trialled several other RIBs last year before choosing the 750. Similarly, I found the 750 Sport to be the most sure whilst still being comfortable.

I'm also about in The Solent most weekends - give me a shout if you'd like a spin to put your mind at rest!
Old 21 June 2007, 21:55   #6

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
The sport range has a slightly shallower vee than the offshore range, also i think the beam is slightly narrower, this is quite often the case on most manufactures sport range of ribs.
Old 22 June 2007, 17:07   #7

Town: Isle of Wight
Thanks for the answers thus far. I've had two generous offers from proud owners to experience their RIBs first hand.

I spoke with Ribcraft yesterday. They advised that the hull is different; it mainly has a finer entry, ie less of a bluff bow (not sure this term applies to RIBs, but I remember it from my sailing days). They said that the V is just as deep.

My feeling at the moment is that a 7.8 Professional model would give a softer ride, than a 7.5 Sport model, but I think you would be splitting hairs between the 7.5 Sport and the 6.8 Professional model. Any views on this feeling?
Old 22 June 2007, 21:46   #8

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiAndNice View Post
(I should probably just stick to the massage ),

And you are an anatomy expert....what do you do for a job or should we not ask?
Old 24 June 2007, 20:42   #9

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
And you are an anatomy expert....what do you do for a job or should we not ask?
Guess... (and it IS legal! )
Old 25 June 2007, 22:12   #10

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156 View Post
Thanks for the answers thus far. I've had two generous offers from proud owners to experience their RIBs first hand.

I spoke with Ribcraft yesterday. They advised that the hull is different; it mainly has a finer entry, ie less of a bluff bow (not sure this term applies to RIBs, but I remember it from my sailing days). They said that the V is just as deep.

My feeling at the moment is that a 7.8 Professional model would give a softer ride, than a 7.5 Sport model, but I think you would be splitting hairs between the 7.5 Sport and the 6.8 Professional model. Any views on this feeling?
Hi rich,

I sent you a pm.

have a look and feel free to call...