Old 18 September 2006, 13:30   #1

Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
RIBase
ribcraft or xs

ribcraft 5.3 with a suzuki 90hp or a xs 5.5 with a mercury 100hp 4stroke both approx same price which one do i choose
Old 18 September 2006, 14:03   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Tough call, I haven't been in either of the two boats but if the build quality is similar and the boats are laid out the same then I think size does matter and I'd be tempted to go for the XS with the 100 HP power lump.

I've been on the 6 m XS and I own a Ribcraft 585. With these two boats I much prefer the look of the Ribcraft. Funny but one of the most obvious disapointments on the XS was the seat cushions. The rest of the boat looks fine but the seat cushions don't seem big enough for when your getting chucked around the oggin.

Best of luck with your choice I'm sure they are both fine boats.
Old 18 September 2006, 16:40   #3

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE BASED,the ribcraft is nearly unbreakable, and bits can be added at any time,i would go for a ribcraft, very likely,would be identical speed,
Old 18 September 2006, 16:50   #4

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
size matters

I would agree with biggles that this is one of the times when Size does Matter , I have had a Ribcraft 5.85 in the past and the only other Rib that is in the same ballpark is the XS 600 I now have, there are not as many XS's out there yet but i cannot praise the hull enough.

Go for the XS!

Mark
Old 18 September 2006, 18:30   #5

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
We Run a XS 550 Superb boat, takes all we can throw at it, Students, Divers and US. She's coupled to a '90 Opti and fly's. Check out our site for Piccy's. Shes also shown on the XS site. Superb Build quality and built to last takes big sea's well and inspires confidence. We have a customised dive cylinder rack/seat and non standard Dry Box baskets also a bespoke cover.
Old 19 September 2006, 21:04   #6

RIBase
decided to go for the ribcraft, but 5.3 with 90 suzuki ski a frame, single seat consul + 2 twin jockeys etc etc or for much the same money 5.85 basic + 90 suzuki - only extra is 2 twin jockeys?????
Old 20 September 2006, 08:18   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Go for the 585 if you can. The 5.3 is a great little boat, but the extra half a metre makes a massive difference in seakeeping.

John
Old 20 September 2006, 22:00   #8

RIBase
if i take the ski a frame off the 530 i can get it down to about £1500 less than 585 + 90hp suzi or appoox £2500 less than 585 + 115 hp suzi will the 585 be that much better?
Old 21 September 2006, 09:09   #9
Administrator

If you buy the 535 you'll have a load of fun but will probably want to trade up after season. You're likely to be happy with the 585 for a lot longer!

Tell us a bit more about what you plan to use the boat for . . .

John
Old 21 September 2006, 09:29   #10

RIBase
ill be using the boat for a mixture of inland /coastal and the odd trip across the irish sea. My main concern is my 3 kids aged between 12 - 16 - will they be able to handle the 585 or will the smaller 530 be more suited to them? They have no trouble with the 450 / 35hp i have now but 90 /115 is a totally different ball game or is it?
Old 21 September 2006, 09:58   #11
Administrator

There's no question in my mind. Get the 585.

Your kids will be fine driving it, and you're far more likely to have an enjoyable time on the more adventurous trips. The 535 is great for inshore use, but I would definitely want something bigger for anything remotely offshore.

John
Old 21 September 2006, 10:32   #12

Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett

Your kids will be fine driving it, and you're far more likely to have an enjoyable time on the more adventurous trips. The 535 is great for inshore use, but I would definitely want something bigger for anything remotely offshore.

John
Ribcraft state the 5.3 is CE CatB (should be able to handle force 8 with up to 4m waves) and has been designed for offshore use. Although I agree the 5.85 will be better in rougher water than the 5.3, I would not say the 5.3 is an inshore only boat! There is an astronimcal difference in the rough water performance of a small 4m RIB (eg SR4) to a 5.4, mainly driven by tube diameter and height (bow sheer etc) but there should not be such a dramatic difference between the 5.3 and 5.85 (5.85 is a little wider but tubes are same as 5.3). I believe 3 of the 4.8's went round britain so they must be pretty solid!!

I guess there are also other things to consider like towing, trailer size, engine size etc. For me, the 5.3 looked ideal, but then again that's just me and everyone has different requirements.

Whatever one of these boats you get, you are buying a solid, well made piece of kit!
Old 21 September 2006, 11:51   #13

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Quote:

John
Kids fine !!!!
You nearly put me over the bow when you piloted mine !!!!!
Old 21 September 2006, 12:49   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al40
Ribcraft state the 5.3 is CE CatB (should be able to handle force 8 with up to 4m waves) and has been designed for offshore use. Although I agree the 5.85 will be better in rougher water than the 5.3, I would not say the 5.3 is an inshore only boat!
Oh the boat will be fine. I didn't say that it was an inshore only boat, but given the choice I would definitely go for the 585. I wouldn't choose to cross the Irish sea in a 535, especially not with youngsters on board. No one's likely to die, but it probably wouldn't be much fun after a while!
Quote:
There is an astronimcal difference in the rough water performance of a small 4m RIB (eg SR4) to a 5.4, mainly driven by tube diameter and height (bow sheer etc) but there should not be such a dramatic difference between the 5.3 and 5.85 (5.85 is a little wider but tubes are same as 5.3). I believe 3 of the 4.8's went round britain so they must be pretty solid!!
The difference between a 4m boat and a 5.5m boat is huge, but a 585 is still a whole lot more boat than the 535. The difference is actually quite surprising.
Quote:
Whatever one of these boats you get, you are buying a solid, well made piece of kit!
No arguments there. I just reckon he'd be happier for longer with the 585.

John
Old 21 September 2006, 12:51   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edges
You nearly put me over the bow when you piloted mine !!!!!
Ah, I thought you might be along soon. Never mind about me (ahem) how about giving your views on 535 v 585?

Move along please. There's nothing to see here . . .

John
Old 21 September 2006, 12:57   #16

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
There's nothing to see here . . .
Hmmm... quick check of the cutting room floor called for here
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 13:12   #17

Engine: 90hp
Quote:
No arguments there. I just reckon he'd be happier for longer with the 585.

John
Yes, you're right. I'd want something as big as possible crossing the irish sea :-)

I went for a 5.3 but as always, it's a balance of many factors - towing, engine size etc. I was really torn between the 2 but decided the 5.85 was just a bit big for towing without changing the car (and would need a larger trailer and engine)! As it's for family cruising, if it's too rough for the 5.3, I shouldn't be out in it anyway (having said that I fully expect the 5.3 to get me back home in the rough stuff) - no trips to Ireland planned in the immediate future.
Old 22 September 2006, 12:10   #18

Quote:
Ah, I thought you might be along soon. Never mind about me (ahem) how about giving your views on 535 v 585?

Move along please. There's nothing to see here . . .

John
Oh alright!
5.3 great starter rib and will put a smile on your face, but will be a much more bumpy ride than 585.
You can squeeze 180 litres + onboard the bigger boat so range doubled.
I would say the 585 is more of a longer term ownership prospect. It will do most of what the big ribs will do for a fraction of the cost
Sold? I was!
Andrew
Old 22 September 2006, 12:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by al40
Yes, you're right. I'd want something as big as possible crossing the irish sea :-)

I went for a 5.3 but as always, it's a balance of many factors - towing, engine size etc. I was really torn between the 2 but decided the 5.85 was just a bit big for towing without changing the car (and would need a larger trailer and engine)! As it's for family cruising, if it's too rough for the 5.3, I shouldn't be out in it anyway (having said that I fully expect the 5.3 to get me back home in the rough stuff) - no trips to Ireland planned in the immediate future.
I prefer trailing the 585 to the 5.3
Better trailer (rapide). The boat sits a lot lower than the snipe (5.3) The Boat doesn't not bounce around so much.
My audi A4 bling pulls 585 no problem
Old 22 September 2006, 13:56   #20

RIBase
ribcraft

i might end up towing sometimes with a Berlingo van, but that shouldnt be a problem would it? 1100kg towing limit

Also i know the 530 with a 90hp would great fun i wouldnt loose the fun factor on the 585 + 115hp would i?