Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 September 2006, 05:58   #11
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
There's no question in my mind. Get the 585.

Your kids will be fine driving it, and you're far more likely to have an enjoyable time on the more adventurous trips. The 535 is great for inshore use, but I would definitely want something bigger for anything remotely offshore.

John
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 06:32   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
There's no question in my mind. Get the 585.

Your kids will be fine driving it, and you're far more likely to have an enjoyable time on the more adventurous trips. The 535 is great for inshore use, but I would definitely want something bigger for anything remotely offshore.

John
Ribcraft state the 5.3 is CE CatB (should be able to handle force 8 with up to 4m waves) and has been designed for offshore use. Although I agree the 5.85 will be better in rougher water than the 5.3, I would not say the 5.3 is an inshore only boat! There is an astronimcal difference in the rough water performance of a small 4m RIB (eg SR4) to a 5.4, mainly driven by tube diameter and height (bow sheer etc) but there should not be such a dramatic difference between the 5.3 and 5.85 (5.85 is a little wider but tubes are same as 5.3). I believe 3 of the 4.8's went round britain so they must be pretty solid!!

I guess there are also other things to consider like towing, trailer size, engine size etc. For me, the 5.3 looked ideal, but then again that's just me and everyone has different requirements.

Whatever one of these boats you get, you are buying a solid, well made piece of kit!
__________________

__________________
al40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 07:51   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
There's no question in my mind. Get the 585.

Your kids will be fine driving it, and you're far more likely to have an enjoyable time on the more adventurous trips. The 535 is great for inshore use, but I would definitely want something bigger for anything remotely offshore.

John
Kids fine !!!!
You nearly put me over the bow when you piloted mine !!!!!
__________________
Andrew Edge
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 08:49   #14
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by al40
Ribcraft state the 5.3 is CE CatB (should be able to handle force 8 with up to 4m waves) and has been designed for offshore use. Although I agree the 5.85 will be better in rougher water than the 5.3, I would not say the 5.3 is an inshore only boat!
Oh the boat will be fine. I didn't say that it was an inshore only boat, but given the choice I would definitely go for the 585. I wouldn't choose to cross the Irish sea in a 535, especially not with youngsters on board. No one's likely to die, but it probably wouldn't be much fun after a while!
Quote:
There is an astronimcal difference in the rough water performance of a small 4m RIB (eg SR4) to a 5.4, mainly driven by tube diameter and height (bow sheer etc) but there should not be such a dramatic difference between the 5.3 and 5.85 (5.85 is a little wider but tubes are same as 5.3). I believe 3 of the 4.8's went round britain so they must be pretty solid!!
The difference between a 4m boat and a 5.5m boat is huge, but a 585 is still a whole lot more boat than the 535. The difference is actually quite surprising.
Quote:
Whatever one of these boats you get, you are buying a solid, well made piece of kit!
No arguments there. I just reckon he'd be happier for longer with the 585.

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 08:51   #15
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edges
You nearly put me over the bow when you piloted mine !!!!!
Ah, I thought you might be along soon. Never mind about me (ahem) how about giving your views on 535 v 585?

Move along please. There's nothing to see here . . .

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 08:57   #16
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
There's nothing to see here . . .
Hmmm... quick check of the cutting room floor called for here
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 09:12   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
No arguments there. I just reckon he'd be happier for longer with the 585.

John
Yes, you're right. I'd want something as big as possible crossing the irish sea :-)

I went for a 5.3 but as always, it's a balance of many factors - towing, engine size etc. I was really torn between the 2 but decided the 5.85 was just a bit big for towing without changing the car (and would need a larger trailer and engine)! As it's for family cruising, if it's too rough for the 5.3, I shouldn't be out in it anyway (having said that I fully expect the 5.3 to get me back home in the rough stuff) - no trips to Ireland planned in the immediate future.
__________________
al40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 08:10   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Ah, I thought you might be along soon. Never mind about me (ahem) how about giving your views on 535 v 585?

Move along please. There's nothing to see here . . .

John
Oh alright!
5.3 great starter rib and will put a smile on your face, but will be a much more bumpy ride than 585.
You can squeeze 180 litres + onboard the bigger boat so range doubled.
I would say the 585 is more of a longer term ownership prospect. It will do most of what the big ribs will do for a fraction of the cost
Sold? I was!
Andrew
__________________
Andrew Edge
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 08:15   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by al40
Yes, you're right. I'd want something as big as possible crossing the irish sea :-)

I went for a 5.3 but as always, it's a balance of many factors - towing, engine size etc. I was really torn between the 2 but decided the 5.85 was just a bit big for towing without changing the car (and would need a larger trailer and engine)! As it's for family cruising, if it's too rough for the 5.3, I shouldn't be out in it anyway (having said that I fully expect the 5.3 to get me back home in the rough stuff) - no trips to Ireland planned in the immediate future.
I prefer trailing the 585 to the 5.3
Better trailer (rapide). The boat sits a lot lower than the snipe (5.3) The Boat doesn't not bounce around so much.
My audi A4 bling pulls 585 no problem
__________________
Andrew Edge
The Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 09:56   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 181
RIBase
ribcraft

i might end up towing sometimes with a Berlingo van, but that shouldnt be a problem would it? 1100kg towing limit

Also i know the 530 with a 90hp would great fun i wouldnt loose the fun factor on the 585 + 115hp would i?
__________________

__________________
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.