Old 09 August 2013, 08:02   #21

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by plymrib View Post
Been mainly looking out for a Ribcraft 585 but a number of people have suggested a Ribeye A600.
the rib will mainly be used in and around Plymouth and the South Coast. I've heard the Ribcraft is a good seaboat in the chop but what's the Ribeye like?
If you're Asking...you've obviously not done enough 'Research!'
N0.1..Get some Hands on!..In the meantime have a look at Manufactures SPEC's(As opposed to Sales Blurb) they can, and will tell you a lot about Lay-up..-Build Quality..materials..applications ect.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 08:03   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I have always regarded Ribeyes as Punters Boats and therefore I would say the ability of the salesman is vital in gettin you to part with your money. Also if the presales service is iffy what is the post sales service going to be like?

Osprey or Ribcraft for me every time but whatever you buy enjoy it!

BTW the Ribtec Hull has a single spray rail and can be a bit wobbly in the chop when on the plane
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 08:16   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I'm on my second RC, the first one was a 585 which I bought as a bare hull & fitted out myself, best boat I've had The current 6.4 was bought as a package, the pre-sales part went fine & dealing with Jason was a pleasure, after I paid my deposit & was handed over to the production staff, it went down hill from there You don't buy a Ribcraft for the "Customer experience" you buy one for the alleged quality of the boat, that said, I've had well documented quality issues with the build & fit out which I've rectified myself rather than make the 500 mile round trip to Yeovil. Would I buy another? possibly, but I would certainly look around first, rather than jumping straight in as I did this time. I don't want to turn this into a RC bashing thread, but customer service DOES play a big part in selling anything, not just boats, & some companies have a lot to learn.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 08:26   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
presto is a lot closer to you?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 08:35   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
presto is a lot closer to you?
maybe next time. My first was an early Osprey made when it was run by Mike Armitage from Northern Diver, good boat but a bit rough around the edges.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 09:19   #26

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I've had a 6.5 Vipermax which was fairly poorly put together by Gary Murley of Boats & Jetski World who had the Osprey dristribution rights at the time. I now have a 7m which we meticulously put together.

In both boats, the quality of the lamination work has been faultless and I'm pretty fussy. The tubes have been pretty good also.

Having said that, I've not seen a badly put together Ribcraft.
Old 09 August 2013, 09:35   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Are people really swayed into buying a boat, based on the actions of the sales personnel?
If you were the MD paying that sales team, you'd certainly hope so! Sales staff can't build you a better boat*, but they certainly will give you some indication of how the company will deal with you.

* Although they should help you in the direction of the most suitable options in their range.
Old 09 August 2013, 09:40   #28

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I've owned a couple of Ribcraft (including a 585 with a df140) and currently have a Ribeye. All were bought new. All 3 boats have been really good and the only reason I changed my 585 was that after 7 years I wanted something larger. In terms of personnel from both companies all have been helpful and pleasant. The initial sales experience with Ribeye is better as I have found that it can be a nightmare getting Ribcraft to call back etc.
in terms of aftersales experience I would place Ribcraft above Ribeye. Would I purchase boats made by either company, yes. Judging my experience when I tried to buy a new RC 850 Cuddy it's probable that only Ribeye would complete the order from start to finish.

RC585, great boat. Does it all.
Old 09 August 2013, 09:47   #29

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Before I bought my Ribcraft I wanted to trace the ownership of the boat, I called Jason at RC and while I waited with the current owner during the viewing, Jason looked out all the build spec etc, we were then able to trace the boat from the order and build and then confirm the former keeper and double check all the paperwork. Jason spent a good hour on this for me and this was the first time I had ever spoken to him.

As this was a private sale and nothing in it for RC, I was very happy that I was taken care of in such a professional way.

Top points for Ribcraft on this occasion
Old 09 August 2013, 09:56   #30

Town: N. Cornwall
Boat name: Jubjub
Make: Ribquest
Length: 6m +
How about Ribquest?

I was looking for a ~6m boat and tried a Ribcraft, Ribeye and Ribquest.

Personally I found the Ribeye uncomfortable to drive standing up which is what I mainly do. So that left Ribcraft and Ribquest - I couldn't get Ribcraft to take any interest whatsoever and found Ribquest to be very responsive and allowed me a lot more choice. Being 5'7" I also found that reaching the steering wheel with my back against the back rest was an issue across all of the boats I tried. Ribquest designed and installed an adjustment system for the very comfortable wing back rests. Very impressed.

The only down side for me was distance - I live in Bath & use the boat in Cornwall.... they're in Derby - just up the M5...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jubjub.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	83890  
Old 09 August 2013, 10:34   #31

i wouldn't rule out redbay, if you can afford a new RC then your in redbay territory. i called them and they were great, said come over, pick me up from ferry and go test some boats.

i think it is clear there are 2 ribcraft experiences- pre and post olympics.

Whether you think customer service is important or not doesn't really matter, if they won't give you a quote then you can't buy it in the first place. i don't know about others but if your throwing out serious money then i want to feel they want it. doesn't mean i would buy something i didn't want on based on sales service but there are enough good makers out there to go somewhere else who shows interest IMO.

anyway, out of the 2 boats listed i would still buy the RC to show the above hasn't changed my mind.

cheers
Old 09 August 2013, 11:21   #32

Town: London/Devon
Make: Linley Swan /Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150
I've taken my Ribeye A600 around Ireland last week, three days were force 6-7 covering 130 miles per day. Never missed a beat and handled greatly.

She is based in exmouth and is set up for offshore use. More than welcome to come and have a spin, she is being put up for sale later this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1959442348.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	83893   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1262305498.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	83894  
Old 09 August 2013, 11:41   #33

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Nimrod
Engine: Suzuki 200
My RC 585 was a fantastic boat - very stable for diving and handled big seas well. The service was always good as well. They turned around fitting an extra jockey seat pod to her in less than a week from asking. That was late last year when I sold her and the buyer needed the extra seat.
My latest boat is one of the Olympic 7.8s with quite a lot added or changed. Delivery was 4 weeks later than originally planned as they were just so busy. That was fine as they kept me informed throughout and I rather it was a little delayed than rushed and build quality suffered.
Old 09 August 2013, 12:30   #34

I think RC has injection moulding now so the later ones should be absolutely excellent in terms of finish and quality. Don't get me wrong the older ones are great too.

My only comments would be that the SS back rests could be a lot more robust and also check the deck around the inside of the deck hatch for water ingress as some were not sealed. I don't want to open a can of worms with this as my one is perfect but if you are buying secondhand then you need to check this out.

What's your budget? You can buy mine if you like
Old 09 August 2013, 12:40   #35

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Lots of passionate arguments here- which is good, shows that most of us are very happy with our individual choices of boat.

We won't answer the question here - I think the message is go and try some of the boats you're thinking of buying, and go with your own judgement on which boat the and company / people you're dealing with meets your needs / you feel most comfortable with.
Old 09 August 2013, 13:35   #36

If it helps I made a list of 3 ribs, Osprey, Parker and Ribcraft all around 6m, then I tested them all, 2 tests were done via very helpful Ribnet members

I then started to look for the ribs for sale, with a young family seating was important for us, also age and engine economy but with good power too.

Having 3 possible ribs kept my options open and I was able to find all three secondhand.

I then bought the best one which wasn't the cheapest but clearly stood out and the decision was an easy one
Old 09 August 2013, 14:09   #37
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLinley View Post
I've taken my Ribeye A600 around Ireland last week, three days were force 6-7 covering 130 miles per day. Never missed a beat and handled greatly.
I thought you got towed in by a lifeboat then did one of the legs on a trailer. Did I get that wrong?
Old 09 August 2013, 15:39   #38

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I thought you got towed in by a lifeboat then did one of the legs on a trailer. Did I get that wrong?
......??... AND its For Sale

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 15:47   #39

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Didnt like the Ribeye then,? you only kept it 3 weeks!! perhaps you should look closer to home Mr Swan Linley and buy a Ribcraft!

Not a good advert for Ribeye for you to be floggin it so soon!
Old 09 August 2013, 16:34   #40

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 115hp OB
At the risk of having some rib related contract put on me by the anti ribeye liberation front. I have a ribeye 600 . Yes I love it. Yes I think it is a good sea boat. Yes it has good seating at least for us- young family and occasionally friends with 1 or 2 kids. No it's not the only rib I've ever been on. Yes I chose it after testing. Yes I think the finnish and build and rigging is quite good . Yes it is a South African import hull and tubes. Yes I think they also have waves their so the hull is rather capable. No I don't have a bad word to say about the many other good options. Enjoy whatever you chose.

Tags
rib