Old 09 August 2013, 04:02   #21

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by plymrib View Post
Been mainly looking out for a Ribcraft 585 but a number of people have suggested a Ribeye A600.
the rib will mainly be used in and around Plymouth and the South Coast. I've heard the Ribcraft is a good seaboat in the chop but what's the Ribeye like?
If you're Asking...you've obviously not done enough 'Research!'
N0.1..Get some Hands on!..In the meantime have a look at Manufactures SPEC's(As opposed to Sales Blurb) they can, and will tell you a lot about Lay-up..-Build Quality..materials..applications ect.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 04:03   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I have always regarded Ribeyes as Punters Boats and therefore I would say the ability of the salesman is vital in gettin you to part with your money. Also if the presales service is iffy what is the post sales service going to be like?

Osprey or Ribcraft for me every time but whatever you buy enjoy it!

BTW the Ribtec Hull has a single spray rail and can be a bit wobbly in the chop when on the plane

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 04:16   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I'm on my second RC, the first one was a 585 which I bought as a bare hull & fitted out myself, best boat I've had The current 6.4 was bought as a package, the pre-sales part went fine & dealing with Jason was a pleasure, after I paid my deposit & was handed over to the production staff, it went down hill from there You don't buy a Ribcraft for the "Customer experience" you buy one for the alleged quality of the boat, that said, I've had well documented quality issues with the build & fit out which I've rectified myself rather than make the 500 mile round trip to Yeovil. Would I buy another? possibly, but I would certainly look around first, rather than jumping straight in as I did this time. I don't want to turn this into a RC bashing thread, but customer service DOES play a big part in selling anything, not just boats, & some companies have a lot to learn.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 04:26   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
presto is a lot closer to you?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 04:35   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
presto is a lot closer to you?
maybe next time. My first was an early Osprey made when it was run by Mike Armitage from Northern Diver, good boat but a bit rough around the edges.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 05:19   #26

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I've had a 6.5 Vipermax which was fairly poorly put together by Gary Murley of Boats & Jetski World who had the Osprey dristribution rights at the time. I now have a 7m which we meticulously put together.

In both boats, the quality of the lamination work has been faultless and I'm pretty fussy. The tubes have been pretty good also.

Having said that, I've not seen a badly put together Ribcraft.
Old 09 August 2013, 05:35   #27
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Are people really swayed into buying a boat, based on the actions of the sales personnel?
If you were the MD paying that sales team, you'd certainly hope so! Sales staff can't build you a better boat*, but they certainly will give you some indication of how the company will deal with you.

* Although they should help you in the direction of the most suitable options in their range.
Old 09 August 2013, 05:40   #28

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I've owned a couple of Ribcraft (including a 585 with a df140) and currently have a Ribeye. All were bought new. All 3 boats have been really good and the only reason I changed my 585 was that after 7 years I wanted something larger. In terms of personnel from both companies all have been helpful and pleasant. The initial sales experience with Ribeye is better as I have found that it can be a nightmare getting Ribcraft to call back etc.
in terms of aftersales experience I would place Ribcraft above Ribeye. Would I purchase boats made by either company, yes. Judging my experience when I tried to buy a new RC 850 Cuddy it's probable that only Ribeye would complete the order from start to finish.

RC585, great boat. Does it all.
Old 09 August 2013, 05:47   #29

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Before I bought my Ribcraft I wanted to trace the ownership of the boat, I called Jason at RC and while I waited with the current owner during the viewing, Jason looked out all the build spec etc, we were then able to trace the boat from the order and build and then confirm the former keeper and double check all the paperwork. Jason spent a good hour on this for me and this was the first time I had ever spoken to him.

As this was a private sale and nothing in it for RC, I was very happy that I was taken care of in such a professional way.

Top points for Ribcraft on this occasion
Old 09 August 2013, 05:56   #30

Town: N. Cornwall
Boat name: Jubjub
Make: Ribquest
Length: 6m +
How about Ribquest?

I was looking for a ~6m boat and tried a Ribcraft, Ribeye and Ribquest.

Personally I found the Ribeye uncomfortable to drive standing up which is what I mainly do. So that left Ribcraft and Ribquest - I couldn't get Ribcraft to take any interest whatsoever and found Ribquest to be very responsive and allowed me a lot more choice. Being 5'7" I also found that reaching the steering wheel with my back against the back rest was an issue across all of the boats I tried. Ribquest designed and installed an adjustment system for the very comfortable wing back rests. Very impressed.

The only down side for me was distance - I live in Bath & use the boat in Cornwall.... they're in Derby - just up the M5...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jubjub.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	83890  

Tags
rib