Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 November 2016, 13:39   #41
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Any fixing of this type will only be as good as the substrate it's fitted into. If you haven't got proper embedded matrix fixings, I think Sika 291 is the way to go. Even then, it's only as good as the preparation & substrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I am going to use the same method as above glued in, the deck will fail before the fixing let's go.

By glue I presume you mean epoxy? Surely it would have to be reinforced? Despite how good epoxy is
__________________

__________________
gtflash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2016, 14:13   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
I've spoken to a couple of people and nope, just glue in be fine, it is special glue for the fixings

You have 6 big fixings in each seat, plus maybe sikaflex on rails.
__________________

__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2016, 16:14   #43
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I've spoken to a couple of people and nope, just glue in be fine, it is special glue for the fixings

You have 6 big fixings in each seat, plus maybe sikaflex on rails.
Love to know what it is
__________________
gtflash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2016, 13:57   #44
Member
 
butty's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 287
Something like SP Spa Bond 345, we use it to glue all sort together in yachts.

Works very well in shear.
__________________
butty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2016, 17:58   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
Scotseat recommends veck ra300 glue.
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2016, 02:23   #46
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Scotseat recommends veck ra300 glue.
i see they have a range of fastners Xk59D you going to glue fastners down then bolt the seat on them?
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2016, 13:24   #47
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,447
Both spa and veck look like a very good product. It would really make me nervous having no mechanical "lock" to the deck though. Are these products really suitable on their own? What if the thing its adheared to gives?

I think I have just talked myself into thru bolting my seat instal with a small access to get to rear
__________________
gtflash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2016, 16:24   #48
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Both spa and veck look like a very good product. It would really make me nervous having no mechanical "lock" to the deck though. Are these products really suitable on their own? What if the thing its adheared to gives?

I think I have just talked myself into thru bolting my seat instal with a small access to get to rear
both scotseats and ribcraft said it is nigh on impossible to get this stuff off so it is very unlikely the seats will ever move. for extra security sikaflex the bases down if you want, it will never move.

scotseats said they only use this glue on some of their seats for buses and they are tested to 7 tonnes as per the requirement, no mechanical fixings of any kind.

keep in mind both ullman and scotseats recommend these fittings so it isn't in their interests to do something not pukka.

i have not decided 100% to get seats yet but when i do i will 100% be fixing them with these fasteners from veck.
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2016, 03:57   #49
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,598
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
both scotseats and ribcraft said it is nigh on impossible to get this stuff off so it is very unlikely the seats will ever move. for extra security sikaflex the bases down if you want, it will never move.

scotseats said they only use this glue on some of their seats for buses and they are tested to 7 tonnes as per the requirement, no mechanical fixings of any kind.

keep in mind both ullman and scotseats recommend these fittings so it isn't in their interests to do something not pukka.

i have not decided 100% to get seats yet but when i do i will 100% be fixing them with these fasteners from veck.
When you consider many modern "glues" are used in F1 and even Aircraft manufacture in loads of applications previously the realm of welding and fixings...it shows how much things have moved on.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2016, 04:04   #50
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,840
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
When you consider many modern "glues" are used in F1 and even Aircraft manufacture in loads of applications previously the realm of welding and fixings...it shows how much things have moved on.

Yup we routinely use resins/glues/mastics for structural fixing. The glued joint is generally stronger than the substrate. It's all in the preparation pet! (Showing your age if you remember that ad.)
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib, ribcraft

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.