Old 10 November 2018, 16:33   #1

Town: Falmouth
Length: 6m +
Ribcraft 6.8 or 5.85

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase either a Ribcraft 5.85 or 6.8, going to be used in the South West mainly with some trips away. Main use will be leisure for 2-4 people and a bit of diving and fishing. Also be nice mohave the capacity to seat 6 occasionally.
I like the idea of the 6.8 for the added room but the 5.85 is a little lighter so I could tow it behind my Transporter T5 camper without having to use my Discovery.
Look forward to all your views?

Old 10 November 2018, 17:47   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase either a Ribcraft 5.85 or 6.8, going to be used in the South West mainly with some trips away. Main use will be leisure for 2-4 people and a bit of diving and fishing. Also be nice mohave the capacity to seat 6 occasionally.

I like the idea of the 6.8 for the added room but the 5.85 is a little lighter so I could tow it behind my Transporter T5 camper without having to use my Discovery.

I used to Navajo a 585, loved it
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 17:48   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
For me, if I had bought the 5.85 I would always think I should have bought the 6.8. People rarely regret going larger. I have a 6.3m Humber and would like an 8m ...
Old 10 November 2018, 18:20   #4

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
I'm not sure if anyone on here has owned both to give you a long time comparison?

I have no sea keeping complaints with my 6.8 but not been on lots of ribs the same size to compare.

I've never been on a 5.85 other than sitting on its trailer and seen a few about, it is a much smaller boat than the meter (ish) would suggest as the 6.8 is wider too giving you substantially more room.

I'd think 6 people on a 585 occasionally would be comfy but fine (not with a Suzuki 140 though which is popular on them) and 6 on a 6.8 isn't an issue with decent seating arrangement.

If you are building new I would strongly advise not to buy any 4 cylinder engine for the 6.8, it is a heavy boat.

Ribcraft like Suzuki so you will probably be given the option on the 6.8 of 200 4 pot (avoid I would say) or 225/250 v6, I'd go that way if Suzuki is your bag. Ideally I'd want a mercury/suzuki v6 250 or v8 mercury on it but depends on your dealer support and what deal you can get.

If a new 585 I'd want nothing but a mercury 150 on it.

Happy shopping!
Old 10 November 2018, 19:50   #5
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Hi all,

I tow my 545 with a T6 camper & it handles it no problem. The 585 should be ok depending on the weight & setup. You might struggle with a 6.8 & appropriate engine on a T5, you also have to consider the launching & recovery, towing is the easy bit. I’d echo what Dubrus says re. Engines, the 585 needs a large displacement 150 as a minimum, I had a 175 2stroke on mine & with 4 divers & kit it wasn’t overpowered. DO NOT put the Suzuki 140 on it, regardless of what anyone tries to tell you to the contrary.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 November 2018, 19:55   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3163.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	127640
6 seat 585 with a Suzy 140
Old 10 November 2018, 20:01   #7

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
My 8 seat 6.8 as comparison-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170708_131721.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	127641  
Old 11 November 2018, 04:16   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
If it was me I'd be getting the larger of the two. You have the ability to use, tow and store and you really will want larger then 5.85 with that number on regularly.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 04:56   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Not Apache on the 6.8m though...

I've driven loads of 5.8's and they are really good Boats...but the difference of a metre in the 6.8 is the biggest difference in any RIB range I've tried...really is a different animal...

It is not only a lot bigger/beamier it also has a deeper V (even taking in the size differential) more like an oversized 545.

Is a lot heavier and therefore very firmly Planted...and really self assured in all conditions...the same Matrix build.. But the whole thing is just tuned and Beefed up....with a lot more space....Larger Tank which gives you longer Legs..what's not to like?
Down side?...The 6.8 is the thick end of 2000kg and needs a decent tow vehicle and Trailer....more storage/ mooring space /fees and obviously more power ..although the actual running costs difference ...with a well balanced RIG aren't too much at all
If you can go 6.8!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 07:18   #10
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Ribcraft 6.8 or 5.85

All true re. 585 v 6.8. BUT the OP wants to tow it with a T5 camper conversion in the South West (Cornwall/Devon??) having had plenty of genuine “on the road” first hand experience of towing with a T6 204ps DSG 4motion, I think the OP will struggle with the 6.8. The 545 /T6 combo is enough @ 12.4m long IMO. Just sayin

Tags
rib, ribcraft