Old 17 June 2016, 04:46   #11

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
That is what I mean.

A second car you need to factor in insurance which is 450 quid extra for me, everyone will be different of course, plus worst case 500 quid road tax, mot, service etc. Just to move a boat x times a year, might be cheaper leaving it stacked perhaps is the point, only the person can answer.

I can tell you the xtrail tows mine fine, you know it is there but don't labour the engine and no issue. If mines was an auto with 2.2 capacity I would keep it but nissan don't make one.

Old 17 June 2016, 05:38   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Welcome to Ribnet Curlew. The material is Nidaplast - and it will certainly save weight. It's more difficult to bolt things onto though and this needs to be considered at the time of the design. AFAIK, 1900kg is the most heavy duty axle for this application?

Personally I'd build a standard Ribcraft, loose the V70 and buy a truck...
I'd do the same...Id also give the the 6.8 some serious thought....you may find yourself in the same position in the not too distant future. A totally different Hull/Boat and IMO a much better one.
If you want to PM me I'll expand.
Good luck!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2016, 05:56   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
That is what I mean.
I know, and I was just being a little flippant.

I used to tow with a 2001 A4 2.5 TDI quattro avant. At 175,000 miles and 10 years of ownership, it is practically worthless. I paid £300 or so for insurance, and another £260 road-tax on account of it's old-school emissions. It was a great tow-car and hauled my 750kg unbraked trailer with ease. My main car is now a Škoda Fabia 1.6 TDI for the daily work commute.

I've just changed to an A4 Allroad 2.0 TDI quattro to tow, so the old girl will ultimately be going, but I'm still keeping the Škoda, as it's just £20 road-tax, relatively low insurance and will return 55mpg all day long.

It's all swings and round-abouts. What choice do you have? Upgrade to a nearly-new 4x4 and take the hit on road tax, insurance and running costs, and use a smaller more fuel efficient car for the daily commute, or just buy one vehicle to do everything.

The government will probably unveil a new diesel stealth tax in the next few months - so we're all goosed anyway if you drive an oil burner.
Old 17 June 2016, 06:49   #14

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
that is all very true buddy.

unfortunately no matter what you pay through nose for a boat but IF you can get by without the proper 4x4 then i would 100% go that way if you are not towing it a lot.

if you have any tips about second car insurance please pm me! i am all ears.

i am probably about to buy a 2012 pathfinder which is 380 quid insurance, i have already priced a little pug 307 1.6hdi as a second car for work valued at 1k as i literally don't give a hoot about whacking miles on that- £471 insurance as obviously zero no claims on second car but that was a "mirror" NCD they claim....my a$$ it is!

back on topic- i nearly bought a 6.4 ribcraft but i got my 6.8, they are very different boats but i never went out on the 6.4 as owner refused, amazing with spending a LOT of money but wouldn't even fire up the engine as it was winter stored.....idiot.

if you want 6.8 info then PM me what you want to know and i can answer some things, mines is a 2012 with zuke v6 200df on it.
Old 17 June 2016, 07:07   #15

Just to throw in an option...If you want a CHEAP... AND capable 4x4 chaps look no further than a Nissan Terrano...I've had a few over time through my hands ...being in the Motor trade and for me they are they never fail to impress!
Sold a dozen or more over the years and never seen them again for anything serious...Big pluss in my book!
I ran one for a year towed mine absolutely no problem!.2 tonnes ....including a couple of runs to Scotland (500m+)
Of course before anyone has a Hissy Fit!... there are better towers out there!...and certainly more luxurious!... and with more Bells and whistles...but IME nothing comes even close in the Bang for Bucks dept!...wth even low mileage well maintained examples available at low cost.

Old 17 June 2016, 08:04   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dubrus, I think the other thing about using a big domestic car for 6.5m tow duties is where you are going to launch. Steep, slimy slips are 4x4 territory. BUT you can pay a lot of nice marina slipway fees, and even launch tractors for your insurance and tax cost on a second car.
Old 17 June 2016, 08:09   #17

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Having owned a good few single, twin and tri-axle trailers, I'd say if you can get away with a single axle....go for it. The big plus is the ease of man-handling it when it's off the car. Add maintenance & weight penalty then, really if you can do without twin axles it'll make life simpler.

I've now got an XC90 that's probably mechanichally much the same as your V70 and it breazes my 6.5m coastline.

Had an ML320 as a tow car. ran it from 70,000 > 80,000 mls in 10 months.....
£3,500 worth of repair bills. Doubt if Ribnet's got enough storage space to list all the things that went wrong......DO NOT TOUCH!!!!!
Old 17 June 2016, 08:20   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Having owned a good few single, twin and tri-axle trailers, I'd say if you can get away with a single axle....go for it. The big plus is the ease of man-handling it when it's off the car. Add maintenance & weight penalty then, really if you can do without twin axles it'll make life simpler.
Mmmm... Although anyone who has had a wheel bearing fail underway may see life differently! So I guess as dubrus says it depends if it's moving twice a year or every weekend, and how far a typical tow is etc...
Old 17 June 2016, 08:30   #19

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Prior to seeing sense I had about half a dozen bearing failures.

Now I just replace them every season.......and that costs half as much with a single axle.
Old 17 June 2016, 08:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Mmmm... Although anyone who has had a wheel bearing fail underway may see life differently! So I guess as dubrus says it depends if it's moving twice a year or every weekend, and how far a typical tow is etc...
I'd agree...especially if you're ANYWHERE near the limit go double axle ...as I advised Dubrus at the time

Tags
rib, ribcraft