Old 04 July 2019, 07:32   #21

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Hi mhb100 - obviously been thinking long and hard about the direction to go. I am hoping to check out a couple of 680 and 585 to get a sense of scale - I have only seen them from dive hard boats set us as dive club boats normally with a hoard of kit on and dry suited divers. The rib would initially be kept in a Drystack but I am mindful of the extra limitations for towing the larger boat would have having seen the earlier thread here about exactly the same concern in the SW (pipster who went for a 585 in the end). I have 2 quotes from Ribcraft one for a 585 one for a 680. I am trying to understand the day to day practicality of either. Both seem fantastic boats general consensus seems to be the larger boat = a smoother ride when it starts to get choppier and can plow on without too much throttle management. Already have a 4x4 and old enough that my licence allows me to tow either.

As to fuel costs (or Drystack costs) I dont have to particularly worry about it now but at some stage I at least need to do the mental arithmetic

Anyway man maths means I have already discounted the cost of a 585 and ownership I am now thinking the same for the 680. Pretty much settled on a rib once I looked at the ownership costs of something like an XO Boat 270 was probably a bit steep for me
Old 04 July 2019, 07:57   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
If the ride is important I'd have a look at these...

https://island-ribs.co.uk/island-7-0-7-5m/

Sensibly priced, UK build and I've absolutely no issues with the build quality and performance of my 28 year old Coastline 6.5 that I believe these are based on...
Old 04 July 2019, 08:27   #23

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Hi mhb100 - obviously been thinking long and hard about the direction to go. I am hoping to check out a couple of 680 and 585 to get a sense of scale - I have only seen them from dive hard boats set us as dive club boats normally with a hoard of kit on and dry suited divers. The rib would initially be kept in a Drystack but I am mindful of the extra limitations for towing the larger boat would have having seen the earlier thread here about exactly the same concern in the SW (pipster who went for a 585 in the end). I have 2 quotes from Ribcraft one for a 585 one for a 680. I am trying to understand the day to day practicality of either. Both seem fantastic boats general consensus seems to be the larger boat = a smoother ride when it starts to get choppier and can plow on without too much throttle management. Already have a 4x4 and old enough that my licence allows me to tow either.

As to fuel costs (or Drystack costs) I dont have to particularly worry about it now but at some stage I at least need to do the mental arithmetic

Anyway man maths means I have already discounted the cost of a 585 and ownership I am now thinking the same for the 680. Pretty much settled on a rib once I looked at the ownership costs of something like an XO Boat 270 was probably a bit steep for me
Personally, I'd go for the biggest boat your budget allows, I've never worried about fuel usage - stressing about 0.001 extra nlmppm ( or whatever the abbreviation? ) is not for me Just have fun and the extra space and sea keeping on a larger rig is priceless
I'd not go back to a smaller RIB Enjoy
Old 04 July 2019, 09:09   #24

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Nanolitre per ppm? Sounds cheap; where do I sign up! I saw a 10m leisure rib at the weekend - was an absolute monster; safe to say it was kept on the water all the time. Now that was definitely toooo big. Likewise the 7.8m is also in the too big (for me anyway)
Old 04 July 2019, 10:10   #25

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
<<<<my 28 year old Coastline 6.5>>>>

Sorry.....typo. That's 18 year old.

My annual fuel costs about £2,000 doing the arithmetic on a real life comparison with my mate's Parker 7.3 hard boat/300hp Verado, that cost would be about £3,500. Plus service every 100hrs. (less than a year) The upside is that the parker provides his overnight accommodation.
A bigger open RIB isn't going to do that and 6.5mtrs has never been a constraining factor for me. Day trips of 100 -150 miles is well within scope and realistic.

However, if money's no object (and obviously isn't to some ) .......

Tags
rib, ribcraft