Old 02 May 2011, 15:38   #1

Town: Barnstaple
Boat name: N/A
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Suzuki Petrol
Ribcraft 4.8 Channel Crossing

Guys,

I own the above boat and i'm considering taking it over to Alderney, departing from Weymouth. Have any of you got any experience doing this trip in this size boat. The outboard is a Suzuki 50...(petrol). I have limited experience and would be going in company with other like minded people. The trip has been organised by "Rib Squadron"....not sure if any of you have heard of them. They recently did an article in RibMagazine.
I have completed a couple of RYA courses and the organisers have told me that my boat is more than up to the job....what are your thoughts????
Old 02 May 2011, 16:08   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Just be sensible with the weather and you should be fine. Bear in mind that your cruising speed will drop significantly if the conditions worsen.

Make sure you have enough fuel on board, and try to avoid having to pour from jerry cans.

Have fun, and post pictures when you get back
Old 02 May 2011, 16:17   #3

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
It would be good to see you as part of that trip or even for more than just a lunch stop.

Make sure that the Squadron are prepared to either allocate you a buddy boat, or will adjust the whole group's speed as John says you will be the first to slow down if it gets choppy.
Old 02 May 2011, 16:19   #4

Thanks John,

At the moment i'm still unsure whether i have the experience to do it. I'm certain the boat is up to it but not sure about me. Like you say if the weather is good then no problems but if it starts getting rough then i'm not so sure. I have two 25 litre tanks so i think that should be enough to get me there....what do you reckon???
Old 02 May 2011, 16:34   #5

Thanks Channel Ribs....would be lovely todo the trip. I think Rib Squadron buddy you up with a equal size boat. I just hope that they don't buddy up two reasonably inexperienced persons together.
Old 02 May 2011, 17:20   #6

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
50 litres does not sound much, it the weather turns, with one person on board with some kit bank on 0.7 miles per liter approx,
Old 02 May 2011, 17:28   #7

Matt, i think your right, if i'm gonna do the trip i will buy another 25 litre container just to be on the safe side.
Old 02 May 2011, 17:30   #8
RIBnet Supporter

60Nm on 50L with a 50hp seems slightly optimistic, especially if the weather works against you. You know your usage better than me, obviously, but I'd recommend taking 50% more than you estimate. Remember that unless there is flat calm, you'll burn more on one of the legs. JK is right about the jerry cans, use a spare fuel tank for the reserve.

Talk to your buddy and share important waypoints. Agree a procedure to be followed if you get separated or if one boat has problems keeping up...

Longer passages are great, but a little planning helps a lot.

EDIT: Sorry - got delayed while typing - anyway, I agree :-)
Old 02 May 2011, 18:08   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
The trip is quite achievable in good conditions. I really wouldn't want anything more than a F2 and I'd be especially avoiding wind against tide. I did a trip once with a 50hp Honda and covered 80 miles with 50 litres, but I used every last drop. I would definitely recommend at least another 10 litres as reserve.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2011, 18:31   #10

Town: London
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
just plotted your voyage on my chart plotter, it gives three different routes, and about 57.3nM.

I hate making things complicated, but at the same time don't want to suggest something wrong!

So my questions are:
1. Is your outboard four stroke or Two?
2. What equipments do you have on board? Do you own a liferaft or not? Have you thought about the fact that you will be in the middle of a BUSY channel??!

I have not done the journey you are intending to do, but I have done Brighton to Dieppe which is in fact longer (around 80nM), and I did it with a 6.5m RIB! You can't believe that how just 1.5m length will make difference in your ride and speed.... In the middle of the channel you feel quite lonely, and all you can see around you is water and fast moving ferries and cargo ships...they create a MASSIVE wash and you can't even slow down as sometimes they come one after another so you have to be prepared...

We were three ribs, and two people on each rib. It is a good idea to have someone next to you...

Secure ALL your stuff, carrying so much fuel on a small boat requires good ventilation... so don't put them all in a closed hatch as the petrol fumes can be very dangerous...

I sold that rib and then "DOWNGRADED" to a 5.3m Humber and I personally won't do that journey again with this rib!
Old 02 May 2011, 18:45   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
I did a Southampton to Alderney trip in a Ribcraft 5.45 (Along with a Searider 5.4?) Made sure it was the right weather window, and all went very well.
We had a 90 2 stroke Merc and filled up in Yarmouth before we made the crossing, we needed the 3rd 25 litre tank (but only just used about 5 litres out of it !)

Good luck, I'm sure youll have a great timte!
Old 02 May 2011, 18:54   #12

Hi Vandad,

My outboard is a 2010 Suzuki 4 stroke. Equipment wise i have a chart plotter and a handheld DSC Radio. I personally would never have even considered doing this trip but i have spoken to so many people that tell me the 4.8 is more than capable and all direct me to the fact that the round great britain were all completed in 5 meter Ribs.
The organiser has also told me he completed a trip all round Scotland on a Rib smaller than this. I fully understand your concerns re traffic and i guess my hope is that if doing it in a group it will to some degree be a bit more safer.
That all said i'm still nervous...LOL
Old 02 May 2011, 18:56   #13

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
i would do it,The 4.8 is incredibly seaworthy.
enjoy the trip
Old 02 May 2011, 19:10   #14

s
Old 02 May 2011, 19:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS5764 View Post
My outboard is a 2010 Suzuki 4 stroke.
It is an excellent outboard, so you should be OK.

Quote:
Equipment wise i have a chart plotter and a handheld DSC Radio.
Consider buying a Fixed VHF radio with a good Antenna.

Quote:
That all said i'm still nervous...LOL
Don't be! If you are doing it in a group, I am sure they can give you better advice. It is always good to think what could possibly go wrong and then what is needed to prevent it.

I think I should have corrected myself; as I sounded quite hopeless in my first post! It is an enjoyable journey, perhaps one of the longest that you may do and then once you feel more confident you may plan weekend trips to France with your Rib! This is what our colleagues used to do!

Watch this one:
Old 02 May 2011, 19:11   #16

Matt, i need yor confidence. lol
Old 02 May 2011, 19:17   #17
RIBnet Supporter

I wouldn't tackle that trip without a fixed VHF.
Old 02 May 2011, 19:23   #18

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
go for it

Hi, I dont say a lot on here now days but a few know i've a fair few RIB miles under my belt mostly in 5 & 6m RIBs.

I would be quite happy making that trip in your boat in favourable conditions, but 75li fuel minium and either a fixed VHF set (25w transmit power) or a buddy boat who I knew and trusted with a fixed VHF.

You will want a drysuit for sure.

2nd person on boat is nice, the less experience you have the more important this is. It would not bother me 10 years on, but in the early days a "crew" was great for reassurance, assistance tieing things down, swapping fuel, and company!!

Being part of a group adds a huge safety factor too, but bets to have all your own kit (flares, own route plan, etc etc)
Old 02 May 2011, 19:24   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I wouldn't tackle that trip without a fixed VHF.
Why? I have used both, and as long as the hand held is well charged up I dont see any real difference, both are only anygood for line of sight, however with the ammount of trafic in the channel (which I actually see as a plus because somebody is alway nearby) you can always raise someone on the VHF........

And without wanting to put myself up to be shotdown....... we only had two handhelds when I went across..........
Old 02 May 2011, 19:25   #20

Vandad,

You mention in the future about going places like France, so is there a reason whu you wouldn't do it in your boat now. I only ask as i'm interested about your comment you made in your last post about getting rid of your bigger rib to a smaller one but wouldn't take it that far.