Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 May 2011, 19:33   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Why?
A handheld and a fixed VHF (with an appropriately mounted antenna) do NOT have the same range.

I would prefer to broadcast my DSC alert to the CG, not a Korean ore carrier. Ditto the handling of any issues or concerns that I might want assistance with.

BTW, I said that I wouldn't cross the channel without one, but I respect your decision to travel light
Old 02 May 2011, 19:34   #22

Town: Barnstaple
Boat name: N/A
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 50 Suzuki Petrol
Daniel,

Thanks for your comments. I would have liked a fixed VHF but as good as the 4.8 is there is only limited space on the console so i went for the chart plotter and the handheld with DSC built in.
Old 02 May 2011, 19:42   #23

Town: London
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS5764 View Post
Vandad,

You mention in the future about going places like France, so is there a reason whu you wouldn't do it in your boat now. I only ask as i'm interested about your comment you made in your last post about getting rid of your bigger rib to a smaller one but wouldn't take it that far.
Hi Matt, I had to sell other rib as I needed the money at the time. It had a 225hp Outboard and it was well capable of any sea condition.

There are a couple of reasons why I would not do it personally, first of all the comfort. Although when you do it for the first time it is fun and enjoyable, but if you plan to do it say two-three times a season, and each journey taking 4-5hrs (=>10hrs return) you want to be a bit comfortable.

My current rib is a bit uncomfortable for such long sea journey, especially on anything over force 2-3... at the moment we use the rib on tidal thames, so a return journey to Tower Bridge (in Central London) from where I moore the rib takes about 2-3 hrs and both mine and my girlfriend's legs are quite tired after sitting on an uncomfortable jockey seat!!! Having said that, Tidal thames NEVER gets over force 1..

Another reason is that with a smaller rib you are restricted to a GOOD to Excellent weather window, so it is quite difficult to plan a weekend trip...

And again, equipmentwise, on a larger rib, you can put more equipments, I had liferaft, radar reflectors, Chart Plotter, Two Fixed VHF Radios, one Handheld for each crew, Radio cd Player, First Aid box, two Fire Extinguishers etc......loads of ropes, chaines, etc..

But my friend just bought a 7m Rib and they have been there twice since March...
Old 02 May 2011, 20:22   #24

Guys,

Thanks for all your helpful comments, really appreciate it.
Phil
Old 02 May 2011, 20:44   #25

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I'm all for adventure but a 4.8m rib is pretty small. If you have other boats with you then obviously that makes it a lot safer. I've done it on my own with a 6.8m in a F4/5 and that was pretty hard going although I did go all the way to Jersey. Beware of getting tired, especially if the sea conditions deteriorate and ensure you take enough fuel and a fixed VHF with a proper antenna. You can get mounts that allow an antenna to be placed temporarily on a console rail; I have one myself if you can't find any.
Old 02 May 2011, 20:45   #26

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
Crossing

I did it last weekend in my Humber Destroyer 5.3 (90HP) as a support vessel for a powerboat that was going from Salcome to Guernsey to race.
I have an RYA advanced ticket and 30 years + experience and I wouldn't like to do it in anything smaller. I also think 50 hp is not enough. In perfect conditions you could happily cross in an inflatable tender given enough fuel but it only takes a small change in wind speed and direction to make an enjoyable experience into, at best, very hard work; at worst a living nightmare.
I took every precaution possible but the trip was not without incident. A 3.5 hr gentle cruise there (despite a partial tube deflation) became a 6.5 hr battle on the return due to a NE wind and a back injury sustained by a crew member of the powerboat.
If you decide to go, check just how experienced the other skippers are. The comment "your boat is more than up to it" leaves me with a niggling doubt.

Youtube footage:

QUOTE=PS5764;398925] Guys,

I own the above boat and i'm considering taking it over to Alderney, departing from Weymouth. Have any of you got any experience doing this trip in this size boat. The outboard is a Suzuki 50...(petrol). I have limited experience and would be going in company with other like minded people. The trip has been organised by "Rib Squadron"....not sure if any of you have heard of them. They recently did an article in RibMagazine.
I have completed a couple of RYA courses and the organisers have told me that my boat is more than up to the job....what are your thoughts???? [/QUOTE]
Old 02 May 2011, 21:11   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If I owned your boat I'd do this trip in very good weather, with another boat for company. HOWEVER I'd be cautious about assuming RIB Squadron gauntnesses its all OK. It actually means there is more pressure to go on the day(s) they've selected even if the weather is not idea and e.g. you can't go a day early even if its ideal conditions. A smaller group might be more flexible on dates. In a small boat your weather window will be much tighter than the average boat; with limited experience this is amplified.

Here are some scenarios to consider which make an "unknown" buddy not ideal:

- You get nervous 1/4 of the way across. Your buddy thinks its all OK. Is that because he's a gung-ho muppet or extremely competent and done it all before (you'll likely only have his version of how good he is!).

- You find yourself going much slower than the rest of the pack for comfort / experience / boat / engine size reasons. Your buddy thinks "buddy" means buy each other a pint at the other end.

- You make it to the destination but you've broken something important on the boat / the weather is turning for the worse / you/the missus are too knackered to do the return journey as planned.

- If your buddy had "hung back" with you as the slow boat (or you've hung back with him) and an hour into the crossing one of you decides to turn back [and bear in mind this might be back to Alderney] will the other one do the same - even if this is the "big adventure" they've spend the last 3 months getting excited about? Or are you going to have to go it alone.

Remember the other person may be assuming you'll be there to help them out in all these situations too. It could be the blind leading the blind. It could be the start of a great RIB friendship but it could also be a weekend spent with someone you can't stand.

These are the reasons why "random strangers" and "buddies" are not necessarily a great idea! Boat size might also not be the best matching criteria - if one of you did need a tow another very small rib is probably not idea as the tug. So I would suggest you need to be in a position where you can make your own decisions / navigation etc. and a buddy is only a nice to have.

Quote:
I would have liked a fixed VHF but as good as the 4.8 is there is only limited space on the console so i went for the chart plotter and the handheld with DSC built in.
I'm with Willk on this one. There are ways to fit a VHF on there with almost no extra space - search for a thread by FJarvis some time back (or a recent post by me signposting someone else there who had the same problem). Ariel mounting will be important for range. Personally I wouldn't want to rely on my "buddy boat"'s vhf because (1) its trusting someone else's kit and you've no idea if its reliable (2) its trusting someone elses competence and it sounds like you've no idea of his expertise (3) it is surprisingly easy to lose sight of your buddy boat if it all kicks up - especially if you are having to pay attention to dodging shipping etc.

I'd also say a competent crew member would be nice (not a nervous wife, if you have that variety!). Someone who can use the VHF to ask your buddy why he has disappeared! or read the chart plotter or act as a useful set of eyes spotting shipping etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandad
2. What equipments do you have on board? Do you own a liferaft or not? Have you thought about the fact that you will be in the middle of a BUSY channel??!
I doubt many of the boats doing that trip will have a liferaft unless commercially coded. I can't think of any situation where with a buddy a couple of miles you'd need a liferaft and it would be useful.
Old 02 May 2011, 22:09   #28

Town: London
Engine: 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I doubt many of the boats doing that trip will have a liferaft unless commercially coded. I can't think of any situation where with a buddy a couple of miles you'd need a liferaft and it would be useful.
Agree, a buddy boat is more helpful than a liferaft, however what would you do if due to bad weather you lose sight of the buddy boat and then with the weather getting worse and worse you need to quickly float on something until help arrives!?

I agree, I am quite a cautious person generally...!
Old 02 May 2011, 22:32   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post
Agree, a buddy boat is more helpful than a liferaft, however what would you do if due to bad weather you lose sight of the buddy boat and then with the weather getting worse and worse you need to quickly float on something until help arrives!?
I'd stay in the RIB! Its been discussed here many times before but what circumstance might a liferaft be useful? These seem to be that catestrophic circumstances:

(1) Sinking. Very unlikely on a RIB. Most (and certainly the Ribcraft in question) will float with all the tubes deflated or with the boat totally swamped.

(2) Capsize. You'll probably not be able to deploy a raft from below the upturned hull. Best bet is probably to get on top of upturned hull.

(3) All thrown overboard - e.g. in a collision. If you can get back to the boat you don't need the raft. If you can't it won't help.

(4) Fire. Yes. But you've carefully stored your fuel, fused your electrics, maintained your outboard etc so the likelihood of fire is minimised. If it starts your extinguisher is probably minimal help, but shutting down the fuel and power (and even throwing can's over board) will buy time - a bucket, a fire blanket (or a jumper soaked in water), gives you a reasonable chance to get a fire under control. If the first you know of it is a catastrophic bang then on a 4.8m rib a raft is probably little use! Overall this is the only scenario I can really imagine "stepping off" a RIB into a liferaft mid channel - and I think it is pretty low risk.
Old 02 May 2011, 22:47   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Overall this is the only scenario I can really imagine "stepping off" a RIB into a liferaft mid channel
One of the Elder Lemons here reckons the correct time to move to the liferaft is only when you can step up into it from your vessel...
Old 02 May 2011, 23:29   #31
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
One of the Elder Lemons here reckons the correct time to move to the liferaft is only when you can step up into it from your vessel...

Ref the VHF/buddy boat etc.Yes,you do need a buddy boat-but you sound more like you need a babysitter boat than a buddy boat.

Remember your buddy might have to rely on you rather than the other way round,and he (or you both) could be screwed if you're not carrying the right gear.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2011, 03:42   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Guys,

I own the above boat and i'm considering taking it over to Alderney, departing from Weymouth. Have any of you got any experience doing this trip in this size boat. The outboard is a Suzuki 50...(petrol). I have limited experience and would be going in company with other like minded people. The trip has been organised by "Rib Squadron"....not sure if any of you have heard of them. They recently did an article in RibMagazine.
I have completed a couple of RYA courses and the organisers have told me that my boat is more than up to the job....what are your thoughts????
Apart from the courses what other boating experience do you have, how many hours / miles in this rib and in what weather conditions?
Jim
Old 03 May 2011, 06:50   #33

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Daniel,

Thanks for your comments. I would have liked a fixed VHF but as good as the 4.8 is there is only limited space on the console so i went for the chart plotter and the handheld with DSC built in.
I have done a number of channel crossings in a variety of weather and light conditions, on one the boat I was with lost it's fixed VHF. Despite my urging to fix it, it was only a fuse, the skipper decided to press on (didn't know it was only a fuse at the time).

It was very easy to fall out of handheld range. I was able to call them on my fixed set, but all across the way they were in near silence.

Do not bank on their being hundreds of ships about, at times the channel is quite lonely!

If you really really cannot fit a fixed set then at least get a decent antenna on a pole at the transom, you can get a cheap adapter that allows your handheld to use the proper antenna.
Old 03 May 2011, 08:00   #34

To, NOS4r2,

Thanks for your comments, but i DON't need a babysitter. I have over a years experience and i will be the first to admit that isn't anything. I am still new to the world of Ribs and am merely wanting to extend my experience rather than getting bored taking my boat out out to the same place each weekend and coming in again.
My original post was with regards to like minded people's thoughts which i am very grateful for. I was told that these oganised trips cater for everyone's experience or lack of and boat size wasn't an issue due to the numbers going and everyone looks out for each other thereby lessening the risks involved. Perhaps to you i come accross as not having much confidence but i think the word is cautious. I won't take risks and to be honest haing read everyones comments, perhaps it is too soon for me to take the trip. Wanting to understand how these trip work and the buddy system is not wanting to be looked after like a baby!!
Phil
Old 03 May 2011, 08:27   #35

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Phil, I dont think NOS meant to offend.

Babysitter boat is more of a term when a fleet of small boats travel with one or more larger boats for support.

We did it loads and loads in the early days with a group of 4.5-6.5m boats travelling with 9m cabin ribs, 10m scorpions that kind of thing.

Its the ultimate security for smaller boats and/or inexperienced on a long trip.The bigger boats have all the space for kit, can esily tow, a nice cabin to read charts on that kind of thing!!!

RIBnet seams to have been a good place for exactly these types of trip to come together over the years with plenty of larger RIB owners prepared to organise and cruise with the smaller ribs.
Old 03 May 2011, 08:55   #36

Daniel,

Thanks for that....and apologies to NOS if that's what he was referring to.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:01   #37

If you want to do it and the weather allows then go for it.

Ample fuel (you and the boat), warm clothing, good comms, good company. Job done.

It is just shame the Squadron are only stopping for lunch, Alderney is clearly the best of all the islands.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:12   #38

LOL,

I'm sure it is...They all look beautiful to me and a far cry from North Devon. They don't need any Police officers out there do they??lol
Old 03 May 2011, 09:48   #39

Quote:
I'm sure it is...They all look beautiful to me and a far cry from North Devon. They don't need any Police officers out there do they??lol
Despite being a crime free island, Alderney is in the midst of changing Sergeants.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:49   #40

One can live in hope!!!