Old 19 November 2018, 19:07   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Ribcraft 4.8 AD

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ard/1320292901

Saw this boat on gumtree ,listed in wrong catogory , so took up a floorboard and got cash ready to set out for Bexley Heath ,
tried to contact seller and alas no joy ,
so realised it was probhably a scam , but how does this work ? ,is it premium rate phone calls ? ,i did,nt get far past the dialling tone ; any help appreciated ,thanks
Old 19 November 2018, 20:05   #2

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
one ad, new seller to gumtree. Probably
Old 19 November 2018, 21:22   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Really?

Pretty comprehensive advert listing from someone who has never advertised on Gumtree before, and since when could you buy a 2005 Ribcraft with a 4-stroke engine with less than 250 hours for under £6k?

Oh and look, apparently Louise can deliver it too.

You dodged a bullet there, keep your hard earned cash, walk away and don't look back, this has scam written all over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	127741  
Old 19 November 2018, 22:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Really?

Pretty comprehensive advert listing from someone who has never advertised on Gumtree before, and since when could you buy a 2005 Ribcraft with a 4-stroke engine with less than 250 hours for under £6k?

Oh and look, apparently Louise can deliver it too.

You dodged a bullet there, keep your hard earned cash, walk away and don't look back, this has scam written all over it.
Yes i sure dodged a bullet ,but how ???? , how is someone going to take my money ??? ,what is there plan ???? i am going to turn up with the cash ,and if satisfied i will purchase , i will then hook on my car and pay and drive down the road with the boat , so how does the scam work ??

on another note those 2018 , 4.8s sold ex demo after southampton show were sold @£12500 from memory ,so 6k for a 13 year old rib is not so outstanding ,however it struck me as very straight good condition and a bargain which is why my interest .
Old 19 November 2018, 22:15   #5

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Can’t see it as a scam for the reasons you mention - perhaps it’s being advertised on behalf of someone? Only way to find out is to speak with them really and get their reasons for sale, if you can view, see paperwork and test the engine etc - have it surveyed and check engine / hull numbers ... I would think there are easier scams out there, if it is a scam I’m not sure how they planned on making it work...
Old 19 November 2018, 23:34   #6

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
That advert was on Apollo duck a few weeks back saying the boat was £10995 in the Isle of Man. So I think scam
Old 20 November 2018, 07:44   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If you send a message you will probably get a reply along the lines of " I have a hearing problem so can only communicate via message" (because its probably a Nigerian sat in his mud hut) they will then give you every excuse why you cant see it then they either ask for a holding deposit via bank transfer. Or if they think your realy dumb they will offer to deliver the boat free of charge (after you pay in full) and will assure you if your not totally happy on receipt they will refund your money.
Obviously as soon as you pay any money either deposit or full amount you never hear from them again quite a comon scam
Old 20 November 2018, 07:51   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Can’t see it as a scam for the reasons you mention - perhaps it’s being advertised on behalf of someone? Only way to find out is to speak with them really and get their reasons for sale, if you can view, see paperwork and test the engine etc - have it surveyed and check engine / hull numbers ... I would think there are easier scams out there, if it is a scam I’m not sure how they planned on making it work...
SCAM!
...Cheap Boat...Female vendor ...someone else's sale .....little knowledge....
...HOLDING DEPOSIT....Thank you very much!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 07:52   #9

RIBase
or as is getting more common, the luverley louise arranges to meet you in a car park with the boat, as long as you agree to pay cash on handover of the boat. You arrive carrying a wad of wonga. At the allotted time, the luverley louise arrives, but no boat, she has however arrived with her brick shitehouse boyfriend and two of his mates. The next thing you know your waking up in hospital having been relieved of you cash, your car. etc. etc.
Old 20 November 2018, 07:57   #10

RIBase
also i have just reported it to them (gumtree) as fraudulent, so hopefully they will remove it.
Old 20 November 2018, 09:09   #11

RIBase
also that mobile number is Romanian, plus they were selling a Quicksilver 700 boat on Gumtree but were called Aimee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a Hitachi Digger and called Stacey!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 November 2018, 09:38   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>that mobile number is Romanian

Or anything it wants to be really. Numbers starting 074183 like that are provided by a Netherlands provider Tismi who operate all over the world. That number prefix range is associated with scam calls, worldwide SIMs, premium rate numbers, CI & IOM numbers and hidden redirects.

As others have said "Louise" will just try to get some funds from you by transfer then you'll hear no more. Actually they are just as happy with a £250 deposit as the full amount because they can do it many times until the advert is taken down.

But you are right Orwell Boy if you strictly keep to the idea of visiting "Louise's house" with the cash to inspect and take away there and then the scam won't work because she will tell you her husband has just died and she's too upset to see you collect it so she'll deliver after transferred deposit/payment... and if you keep to calling in person there will be an excuse why you can't buy it.
Old 20 November 2018, 14:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
or as is getting more common, the luverley louise arranges to meet you in a car park with the boat, as long as you agree to pay cash on handover of the boat. You arrive carrying a wad of wonga. At the allotted time, the luverley louise arrives, but no boat, she has however arrived with her brick shitehouse boyfriend and two of his mates. The next thing you know your waking up in hospital having been relieved of you cash, your car. etc. etc.

Wow!...Nuclear option from Gumtree! ...thats some scenario (imagination!)...the "pessimist assessment" for sure
Dont reckon many internet scammers are that "industrious "...or would put themselves on offer(mores the pity!) ....that's why they work in the Netherworld...online.

Funny thing is they a do seem to like a Ribcraft!

Old 20 November 2018, 16:10   #14

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

Funny thing is they a do seem to like a Ribcraft!

They also seem to like Warrior, Raider, Merry Fisher, Bayliner, & Orkney ......... Using a popular boat to scam probably increases their chances ...

The most popular method the scammers use now is sending you a fake link to make payment that looks just like the real thing (usually Paypal or other online systems), then the monies are transfrerred immediately through a series of accounts and that makes the final destination very difficult to trace.
Old 20 November 2018, 16:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
They also seem to like Warrior, Raider, Merry Fisher, Bayliner, & Orkney ......... Using a popular boat to scam probably increases their chances ...

The most popular method the scammers use now is sending you a fake link to make payment that looks just like the real thing (usually Paypal or other online systems), then the monies are transfrerred immediately through a series of accounts and that makes the final destination very difficult to trace.
The "Smart" revolution eh!
...."1984" should be made mandatory reading ....I always doff my hat when I pass Jura

Old 20 November 2018, 20:16   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
On another note those 2018, 4.8s sold ex demo after southampton show were sold @£12500 from memory, so 6k for a 13 year old rib is not so outstanding, however it struck me as very straight good condition and a bargain which is why my interest.
I can't comment regards RIBcraft's ex-demo boats, but I know Ribeye were selling a nearly new 4.8m for £19k just last month.

You get a feel for the used boat market when you're looking, so if something is too good to be true, then you need to question why? Any legitimate seller will supply you with any number of pictures, invoices and receipts. If communication is poor, or contact is solely by email, then walk away.

Here's what on the market if you're still looking.

2007 Ribcraft 4.8 with Yamaha 60hp and factory A frame for £8,995
https://www.boatshop24.com/en/ribcra...latable/857166

2007 Ribcraft 4.5 with Mercury 40hp for £6,000
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/ribcraft-45/587368

2001 Ribcraft 4.8 with new Mercury 60hp engine for £6,995
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ribcraft-...AAAOSwaIpb2E1f
Old 21 November 2018, 19:42   #17

Yes thanks people for all your thoughts on that one ,at least it would appear we all agree that maybe turning up as a pair, maybe with cash in locked glovebox would appear the best way not to get scammed , however maybe being mugged is the greater risk !
with regard to boats for sale ! to explain myself i am a little " all over the place " but am now thinking of keeping my 19 ft nautica as it has proved fantastic throughout the summer this year (not bothering with the new RC 585 i was quoted at the boat show as my engine shaft was only long ,not xl ) and getting a smaller boat on unbraked trailer for getting about on my own for winter explorations ,of which RC 4.6/8 would suit nicely
The boats shown look interesting however the closest to me looks a little tired ,and why are so many ribs antifouled ?
Old 22 November 2018, 22:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I can't comment regards RIBcraft's ex-demo boats, but I know Ribeye were selling a nearly new 4.8m for £19k just last month.

You get a feel for the used boat market when you're looking, so if something is too good to be true, then you need to question why? Any legitimate seller will supply you with any number of pictures, invoices and receipts. If communication is poor, or contact is solely by email, then walk away.

Here's what on the market if you're still looking.

2007 Ribcraft 4.8 with Yamaha 60hp and factory A frame for £8,995
https://www.boatshop24.com/en/ribcra...latable/857166

2007 Ribcraft 4.5 with Mercury 40hp for £6,000
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/ribcraft-45/587368

2001 Ribcraft 4.8 with new Mercury 60hp engine for £6,995
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ribcraft-...AAAOSwaIpb2E1f
quick update ,rang couple of these today Plymouth boat was sold months ago according to the guy i spoke to ,his words wherever did you see that advert still for sale ? ,Essex boat finished on ebay last night but i phoned today and guy had sold it 3 hours earlier (however it has,nt gone yet ) ,third boat i didnt ring however i have no trailer spare at moment and i am not sure how i would get on on the M25 with what thats currently sitting on Ha ha
Old 24 November 2018, 11:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
quick update ,rang couple of these today Plymouth boat was sold months ago according to the guy i spoke to ,his words wherever did you see that advert still for sale ? ,Essex boat finished on ebay last night but i phoned today and guy had sold it 3 hours earlier (however it has,nt gone yet ) ,third boat i didnt ring however i have no trailer spare at moment and i am not sure how i would get on on the M25 with what thats currently sitting on Ha ha
Give Charlie Chan a bell at Ribcraft....they often know for stuff coming up for sale (because of up-grades ext)....before it hits the Market

Old 24 November 2018, 11:14   #20

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Give Charlie Chan a bell at Ribcraft....they often know for stuff coming up for sale (because of up-grades ext)....before it hits the Market

God Matthew you had me way back to my childhood there with Charlie Chan!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, ribcraft