Click Here to Login

Old 28 July 2016, 10:15   #1

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Uncle Ray
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Ribbing locations close-ish to Yorkshire

HELP Please!! Have the opportunity to get away at the last minute for the weekend, probably camping with the rib. Can anyone recommend anywhere, I usually head to Cornwall or Scotland but it's a bit too far for just Fri/Sat night.

Would like the get the water toys out, or somewhere to explore. Around 3.5/4hrs drive max? PITA living in the centre of the country, I really need so find some new places so I can get out more at weekends.

Launched at Whitby before and been down to Anglesey a few times, weather is looking better on the west coast but I'm open to suggestion.

BTW, I need a slip or tractor launch, don't fancy taking the car down the beach.

If only they hadn't imposed the bloody limits on the lakes!

Cheers

Tom
Old 28 July 2016, 11:04   #2

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Seahouses has marvellous scenery and an excellent slip - wide, and a gentle gradient.
For me however, the place was ruined with the appointment of the 'new' harbourmaster a few years ago and after going for years on end, stopped totally

Trailer facilities - poor parking unless you want to leave it on the beach to the mercies of the incoming tide. I used to pay for two slots in the large car park by the tourist information office - but technically this isn't allowed !
Ribs ( when i last went ) were still not entirely welcome by the local trip/diving and fishing boat community.

That said, it really is a good place for a day/weekend out.

Someone more local and/or who has used the facilities more recently may be able to offer a better viewpoint.

Beadnall did/does have a tractor launch, but I hate tractor launches across long beaches - the ability for them to get your boat/trailer airborne, speeding across the ramp never ceases to amaze me :-(
Old 28 July 2016, 11:43   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Seahouses has marvellous scenery and an excellent slip - wide, and a gentle gradient.
For me however, the place was ruined with the appointment of the 'new' harbourmaster a few years ago and after going for years on end, stopped totally

Trailer facilities - poor parking unless you want to leave it on the beach to the mercies of the incoming tide. I used to pay for two slots in the large car park by the tourist information office - but technically this isn't allowed !
Ribs ( when i last went ) were still not entirely welcome by the local trip/diving and fishing boat community.

That said, it really is a good place for a day/weekend out.

Someone more local and/or who has used the facilities more recently may be able to offer a better viewpoint.

Beadnall did/does have a tractor launch, but I hate tractor launches across long beaches - the ability for them to get your boat/trailer airborne, speeding across the ramp never ceases to amaze me :-(

+1 agree with all that. I cut my diving/boating teeth at Seahouses & the Farnes, when the particularly unhelpful fat knacker of a new harbourmaster was appointed we stopped going, must be over 10 years now since we we there, shame really. The harbour master prior to the present incumbent was a gent & couldn't be more helpful.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 11:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
when the particularly unhelpful fat knacker of a new harbourmaster was appointed
He sounds like a cheerful chap!!

Maybe seahouse's is one to miss then this time around? Hoping for a relaxing weekend lol

Seems a shame i was hoping to get back into diving and join one of the dive groups up there sometime.
Old 28 July 2016, 12:01   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_20000 View Post
He sounds like a cheerful chap!!

Maybe seahouse's is one to miss then this time around? Hoping for a relaxing weekend lol

Seems a shame i was hoping to get back into diving and join one of the dive groups up there sometime.

Although I've not launched there, I've heard good reports about Amble, one to look at. Personally if I was looking for a quickie (ooerr missus) I'd go to Whitby. Dunno what the tide times are like though, they will be neapy this weekend.

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 28 July 2016, 12:23   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
amble marina slip tidal not sure how long each side.

whitby 3 hours each side of HW big drop off on end of the slip.

beadnel tractor was ok when i last used it you can hand launch small craft.

belverdea beach bridlington tractor launch good facilities be careful of sea state ring them before going.

Scarborough much the same as whitby.

st abbs good slip into harbor fantastic sights great diving.

humber bridge at the lifeboat house not RNLI you buy a key

dumbar into harbor.

cheers
Old 28 July 2016, 13:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
amble marina slip tidal not sure how long each side.

whitby 3 hours each side of HW big drop off on end of the slip.

beadnel tractor was ok when i last used it you can hand launch small craft.

belverdea beach bridlington tractor launch good facilities be careful of sea state ring them before going.

Scarborough much the same as whitby.

st abbs good slip into harbor fantastic sights great diving.

humber bridge at the lifeboat house not RNLI you buy a key

dumbar into harbor.

cheers
+1 Dunbar ,,,, fantastic place. Isle of May a nice 11 miles out and if ok with the site wardens its a great place to land, explore and have apicnic ( seal pupping and puffin nesting times are to be aware of) 4-4.5 hrs driving though.
Old 28 July 2016, 14:11   #8

RIBase
I'd avoid the Humber bridge launch like the plague.

Lions led by donkeys
Old 28 July 2016, 14:38   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'd avoid the Humber bridge launch like the plague.

Lions led by donkeys
why Dave?
Old 28 July 2016, 15:05   #10

Dunbar and St Abbs are both decent slips and both have good fishing, snorkel / dive and sight seeing opportunities. A little further is North Berwick. Slip takes you onto the beach but it's pretty hard packed and gently sloping - the local sailing club launch their ribs with small tractors and they're usually happy to help if you have a problem. The Harbour Master is a decent chap too. Another I used for the first time last week was the slip by South Shields Sailing Club. Quite expensive at £28 but it was in good condition and quiet.
Old 28 July 2016, 15:13   #11

One more, along the coast to Edinburgh is Cockenzie & Port Seton, free launch (no one around to pay...), good condition 3/4 slip and easy trip out to Inchkeith and the other islands of the forth.
Old 28 July 2016, 15:45   #12

RIBase
Redcar another slip onto hard sand launch in what they call the harbor which is between the scars in front of Denny dive shop and RNLI station or you can launch into the river at the back of the steel works forget the name of it now but very steep slipway.
good crab & lobsters on the scars and you can buy off the fisherman on the beach.
Old 28 July 2016, 15:54   #13

Quote:
Redcar another slip onto hard sand launch in what they call the harbor which is between the scars in front of Denny dive shop and RNLI station or you can launch into the river at the back of the steel works forget the name of it now but very steep slipway.
good crab & lobsters on the scars and you can buy off the fisherman on the beach.
There are some lovely photos on the internet of beach launching incident at Redcar ;;;; just one here

Two cars end up stranded in North Sea during speedboat launches at Redcar - Gazette Live

The slip at South Gare is private - you have to be a member of South Gare Marine Club which is actually really good value if you are using it a few times a year. The top is steep (high tide launching) but it levels out significantly further down ,,, can be a very slippy slipway at low tide depending upon the time of year/last cleaned

Jeff
Old 28 July 2016, 16:08   #14

RIBase
Quote:
why Dave?

Very rocky beach & if the wind turns or picks up whilst you're out its a proper tw4t to recover (been ther done that, the Humber convinced the missus she needed a dry suit). Plus the Humber is grim with a capital Gr

Lions led by donkeys
Old 28 July 2016, 16:15   #15

RIBase
well we had no bother with this at all i'll give you its bleak till you get down to spurn point and as with anywhere you have to catch the tide/weather right.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog and 9.5m ribquest 021.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	114702   Click image for larger version

Name:	dog and 9.5m ribquest 018.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	114703  
Old 28 July 2016, 16:32   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
There are some lovely photos on the internet of beach launching incident at Redcar ;;;; just one here

Two cars end up stranded in North Sea during speedboat launches at Redcar - Gazette Live

The slip at South Gare is private - you have to be a member of South Gare Marine Club which is actually really good value if you are using it a few times a year. The top is steep (high tide launching) but it levels out significantly further down ,,, can be a very slippy slipway at low tide depending upon the time of year/last cleaned

Jeff
thats it south gare never launched there always gone out off the beach did it for years i had a fisherman's phone number just gave him a call check the weather and away we went.
and yes if you pee about launching, engine running & throbbing in the surf you'll get stuck you have to be organised we have all seen it on the slipway Joe soap only him there all the time in the world decides to untie everything on the slip reversed down at an angle now hes got all the slip no room for anyone else. revs me up excuse the rant.
Old 28 July 2016, 17:46   #17

RIBase
Quote:
thats it south gare never launched there always gone out off the beach did it for years i had a fisherman's phone number just gave him a call check the weather and away we went.

and yes if you pee about launching, engine running & throbbing in the surf you'll get stuck you have to be organised we have all seen it on the slipway Joe soap only him there all the time in the world decides to untie everything on the slip reversed down at an angle now hes got all the slip no room for anyone else. revs me up excuse the rant.

I think you'll find that I have copyright on that rant Jeff😄

Lions led by donkeys
Old 28 July 2016, 19:08   #18

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I'm a member of the south gare marine club and can confirm if its a bit choppy in the tees mouth it can be interesting ( in a buy some fibreglass way) when recovering back onto your trailer
Old 28 July 2016, 19:09   #19

RIBase
Sorry mate i feel better now, Filey is a beach launch but not been there for years flanborough head nice in good weather.
Old 28 July 2016, 19:23   #20

Cheers all, i'm frantically googling. Some of the scotland locations are tempting, but it's a long trek on a friday evening with the trailer, i'm going from Sheffield. Really cant risk a beach launch in the car. I've got a coupe and it wont stand a chance on the sand, dont fancy ending up like those cars at Redcar!

Tags
rib