Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 July 2016, 05:15   #1
Member
 
tom_20000's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Uncle Ray
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 209
Ribbing locations close-ish to Yorkshire

HELP Please!! Have the opportunity to get away at the last minute for the weekend, probably camping with the rib. Can anyone recommend anywhere, I usually head to Cornwall or Scotland but it's a bit too far for just Fri/Sat night.

Would like the get the water toys out, or somewhere to explore. Around 3.5/4hrs drive max? PITA living in the centre of the country, I really need so find some new places so I can get out more at weekends.

Launched at Whitby before and been down to Anglesey a few times, weather is looking better on the west coast but I'm open to suggestion.

BTW, I need a slip or tractor launch, don't fancy taking the car down the beach.

If only they hadn't imposed the bloody limits on the lakes!

Cheers

Tom
__________________

__________________
tom_20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 06:04   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 853
Seahouses has marvellous scenery and an excellent slip - wide, and a gentle gradient.
For me however, the place was ruined with the appointment of the 'new' harbourmaster a few years ago and after going for years on end, stopped totally


Trailer facilities - poor parking unless you want to leave it on the beach to the mercies of the incoming tide. I used to pay for two slots in the large car park by the tourist information office - but technically this isn't allowed !
Ribs ( when i last went ) were still not entirely welcome by the local trip/diving and fishing boat community.

That said, it really is a good place for a day/weekend out.

Someone more local and/or who has used the facilities more recently may be able to offer a better viewpoint.

Beadnall did/does have a tractor launch, but I hate tractor launches across long beaches - the ability for them to get your boat/trailer airborne, speeding across the ramp never ceases to amaze me :-(
__________________

__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 06:43   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,471
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Seahouses has marvellous scenery and an excellent slip - wide, and a gentle gradient.
For me however, the place was ruined with the appointment of the 'new' harbourmaster a few years ago and after going for years on end, stopped totally


Trailer facilities - poor parking unless you want to leave it on the beach to the mercies of the incoming tide. I used to pay for two slots in the large car park by the tourist information office - but technically this isn't allowed !
Ribs ( when i last went ) were still not entirely welcome by the local trip/diving and fishing boat community.

That said, it really is a good place for a day/weekend out.

Someone more local and/or who has used the facilities more recently may be able to offer a better viewpoint.

Beadnall did/does have a tractor launch, but I hate tractor launches across long beaches - the ability for them to get your boat/trailer airborne, speeding across the ramp never ceases to amaze me :-(

+1 agree with all that. I cut my diving/boating teeth at Seahouses & the Farnes, when the particularly unhelpful fat knacker of a new harbourmaster was appointed we stopped going, must be over 10 years now since we we there, shame really. The harbour master prior to the present incumbent was a gent & couldn't be more helpful.


Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 06:53   #4
Member
 
tom_20000's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Uncle Ray
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
when the particularly unhelpful fat knacker of a new harbourmaster was appointed
He sounds like a cheerful chap!!

Maybe seahouse's is one to miss then this time around? Hoping for a relaxing weekend lol

Seems a shame i was hoping to get back into diving and join one of the dive groups up there sometime.
__________________
tom_20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 07:01   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,471
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_20000 View Post
He sounds like a cheerful chap!!



Maybe seahouse's is one to miss then this time around? Hoping for a relaxing weekend lol



Seems a shame i was hoping to get back into diving and join one of the dive groups up there sometime.

Although I've not launched there, I've heard good reports about Amble, one to look at. Personally if I was looking for a quickie (ooerr missus) I'd go to Whitby. Dunno what the tide times are like though, they will be neapy this weekend.



Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 07:23   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,464
amble marina slip tidal not sure how long each side.

whitby 3 hours each side of HW big drop off on end of the slip.

beadnel tractor was ok when i last used it you can hand launch small craft.

belverdea beach bridlington tractor launch good facilities be careful of sea state ring them before going.

Scarborough much the same as whitby.

st abbs good slip into harbor fantastic sights great diving.

humber bridge at the lifeboat house not RNLI you buy a key

dumbar into harbor.

cheers
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 08:56   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
amble marina slip tidal not sure how long each side.

whitby 3 hours each side of HW big drop off on end of the slip.

beadnel tractor was ok when i last used it you can hand launch small craft.

belverdea beach bridlington tractor launch good facilities be careful of sea state ring them before going.

Scarborough much the same as whitby.

st abbs good slip into harbor fantastic sights great diving.

humber bridge at the lifeboat house not RNLI you buy a key

dumbar into harbor.

cheers
+1 Dunbar ,,,, fantastic place. Isle of May a nice 11 miles out and if ok with the site wardens its a great place to land, explore and have apicnic ( seal pupping and puffin nesting times are to be aware of) 4-4.5 hrs driving though.
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 09:11   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,471
RIBase
I'd avoid the Humber bridge launch like the plague.


Lions led by donkeys
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 09:38   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'd avoid the Humber bridge launch like the plague.


Lions led by donkeys
why Dave?
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 10:05   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Length: 5m +
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 183
Dunbar and St Abbs are both decent slips and both have good fishing, snorkel / dive and sight seeing opportunities. A little further is North Berwick. Slip takes you onto the beach but it's pretty hard packed and gently sloping - the local sailing club launch their ribs with small tractors and they're usually happy to help if you have a problem. The Harbour Master is a decent chap too. Another I used for the first time last week was the slip by South Shields Sailing Club. Quite expensive at 28 but it was in good condition and quiet.
__________________

__________________
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.