Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 June 2013, 10:07   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Ribbing in Northern Ireland

Hi all,
I am new to boating in general and ribbing in particular. Does anyone know of public slipways/access points to any suitable stretches of freshwater within easy reach of Belfast by car? I have a 9ft Aquamarina, with 4HP Johnson + electric troll motor. I also have a launch trolley, if that helps.
Thanks,
Soulman, Belfast
__________________

__________________
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 10:47   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 909
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
Hi all,
I am new to boating in general and ribbing in particular. Does anyone know of public slipways/access points to any suitable stretches of freshwater within easy reach of Belfast by car? I have a 9ft Aquamarina, with 4HP Johnson + electric troll motor. I also have a launch trolley, if that helps.
Thanks,
Soulman, Belfast
Hi Soulman. Welcome to Ribnet.

Take a run out of the city along the M1 to Exit 10. Follow signs to Oxford Island and then Kinnego Marina. Lovely slip there. Register in the office, pay your fiver and off you go into Lough Neagh. Do take care though to look at the charts - posted around.

Enjoy
__________________
-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
Any meaning read into my message is the product of your own mind...
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 10:50   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 166
Slipway at Antrim Forum N. end Lough Neagh
Kinnego marina off Lurgan exit off M1 S. end Lough Neagh
Drumahegliss (spelling)at caravan park near Ballymoney on N. River Bann.
Slipway at Saltmarine cars on the Coalisland exit M1 (seen from M1 on approach to exit) on S. River Bann.

Don't discount Strangford Lough if you have a trolley....even better than Lough Neagh. Launch from the stone slipway on the bad bend after turning left onto the Whiterock Road (road to Daft Eddie's bar)at Balloo House on the Comber to Downpatrick Road....dozens of islands to explore and the tides are ok provided you don't venture down the Strangford Narrows (7.8 knots south bound on Springs). If you speak nicely to staff at SLYC beside the slip they may let you use their concrete one provided it's not too busy.
__________________
Slaphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 12:53   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Thanks guys...those are great suggestions.
Anybody out there with any more? Is Lough Neagh accessible from around Crumlin/Glenavy?
Thanks,
Soulman
__________________
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 12:55   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 181
RIBase
If you speak nicely to staff at SLYC beside the slip they may let you use their concrete one provided it's not too busy.[/QUOTE]

don't waste your time, going from past experiences if you are not a member forget it, the public slip will be fine for your boat
__________________
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 13:00   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 181
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
Thanks guys...those are great suggestions.
Anybody out there with any more? Is Lough Neagh accessible from around Crumlin/Glenavy?
Thanks,
Soulman
Sandy Bay Marina Glenavy i think has a slip
__________________
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 13:54   #7
Member
 
surreycool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
Drive about 2 hours to County Fermanagh around Enniskillan. There are loads of slipways and most there are free.

Rib around Lough Erne from Portora to Castle Hume to Lusty Beg Island (idyllic)

I promise you on Lough Erne, you will not be disappointed and even in the river Erne south of Enniskillan most is unrestricted speed limit and only a few places of 5 knots

It's well worth a look, it's where the G8 Summit has just taken place. I spent 10 days there recently (awesome) !
__________________
surreycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 17:03   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Belfast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 181
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreycool View Post
Drive about 2 hours to County Fermanagh around Enniskillan. There are loads of slipways and most there are free.

Rib around Lough Erne from Portora to Castle Hume to Lusty Beg Island (idyllic)

I promise you on Lough Erne, you will not be disappointed and even in the river Erne south of Enniskillan most is unrestricted speed limit and only a few places of 5 knots

It's well worth a look, it's where the G8 Summit has just taken place. I spent 10 days there recently (awesome) !
agreed
__________________
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 17:39   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Thanks a lot, folks. There's enough there to keep me busy.
Let's hope the Irish weather sees fit to cooperate.
Regards,
Soulman
__________________
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 18:58   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 136
you've got carrickfergus and bangor/groomsport/donaghadee on the coastal side of things, thought it was worth mentioning as most suggestions seem to be inland....

If you've not got one get a vhf and if your going lough neagh or enniskillen get yourself one of those maps with the marker buoys shown then do yourself a favour and stay within sight of the buoys until you know where you are. Id say at least 50% of lifeboat calls to lough neagh/lough erne are either people simply lost, or broken down/run out of fuel..... they'd be simple jobs if people could just explain where they are but alot of people take it for granted because they think they'll be safe as they are surrounded by land....
__________________

__________________
miccheck1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.