Old 23 August 2011, 18:39   #21

Town: Llangefni
Length: 3m +
Tbh, I'd rather stop her falling overboard than think "oh well at least if she falls overboard I'll notice". If I could safely stop her falling overboard, I'd pay hundreds quite happily. On top of the usual immersion risks, she has severe epilepsy and chucking her suddenly in cold water could trigger a seizure, which means I'd have limited time to MOB her and get emergency meds in.

SPR - thanks for the mention of sailability - stupidly I had no idea they did RIBs as well as sail, I'll get onto them.

Meantime, I have had another low-tech idea, which is a hybrid of the seatbelt and lash-her-to-an-adult approaches. I could fit a lapbelt which is only fixed at one end - a strip of seatbelt webbing, really. And the adult sitting next to her could sit on the loose end of it. If it all goes aubergine-shaped we're both floating free, but meantime the adult has at least one hand free to hang on themselves.
Old 23 August 2011, 19:01   #22

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed View Post

Meantime, I have had another low-tech idea, which is a hybrid of the seatbelt and lash-her-to-an-adult approaches. I could fit a lapbelt which is only fixed at one end - a strip of seatbelt webbing, really. And the adult sitting next to her could sit on the loose end of it. If it all goes aubergine-shaped we're both floating free, but meantime the adult has at least one hand free to hang on themselves.

My only concern with this is if anyone moves the belt could become either too loose or uncomfortably tight.
Old 29 August 2011, 12:52   #23

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Use the other adult as the release mechanism for the velcro belt? Similar idea to a deadman cord...

Although by thre sounds of things the "responsible passenger" (and possibly someone else) should carry the epilepsy meds on their person, as they'll be no use in the box under the seat if the rib is upside down.

As a general rule, anyone "dipping into" ribbing will think it's an absolute blast, and so 20 odd knots will likely seem like 250 mph unless she's out with you every weekend. The point about not going out in extreme weather is quite valid, and although may not be the adrenalin filled day you might have on your own, will likely provide more than sufficient entertainment in this scenario. I of course say that not knowing your passenger's thirst for speed etc, but based on "first time outings" for passengers in my boat...