Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Priddy
World Record for the fastest...
Alan, I thought you had more records than I could see on hotribs.com, looks like you need to get Mike to update his site
Old 22 December 2002, 13:10   #102

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Splodge

Just the Hull is about £2,000-2,500 that will include carriage to Cape Town and loading it on the cntr on a wooden base.
If you want to have it on trailer the price for a galvanised SS trailer with waterproof lights, winch etc is about £650
Shipping costs if you use one 40 ft cntr just for the boat will be about £1,830.00 (last year price) but you can bring it here with other peoples staff (this is called GROUPAGE shippment) and pay about 50% less or even less than that.
Customs clerance expenses about £100 this inc agency fees etc
Imports from SAfrica do not pay duty in the UK (you need to have a GSP7 or G7 form (is called something like that) issued at the port of origin - they do that from SAfrica any way).
You pay VAT @ 17.5% on top of the buying price.

TANKS I trust the heavy duty plastic on deck (no hidden supprises). Sorry no one can change my mind on that one.

Cheers

PS I calculate with ER Zar 15 = £ 1.00
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2002, 13:17   #103

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Hi sploge,

I wonder If you could help mi,

What range and fuel consumption of your big boat,and also im interested in its weight,has it got one a them GZ curve thingys and what drive system does it have.

Is it a new boat as it sounds like you have had some great/memeroble times in her,I think its just great, great.?

I know nothing about racing boats but it sounds to me like you do and any advice would bbe appreciated. Tell me what is the secret of succses in this demanding field.

Cheers

Crazyhorse
Old 22 December 2002, 23:14   #104

Town: Hamble
Hi guys,

Just got in from working on the rib, hey, it sure is addictive.

Sorry about the fuss and confusion yesterday, I get the impression I may have upset a few people, but it wasn't my intention.

Very early on in my postings, I asked the question as to where I could get my tube repaired, I think someone said that they weren't made of hypalon, possibly pvc, any ideas.

I also asked about x heights, any one got any info for me.

It seems from reading your posts that you are all very passionate about ribs, but I do have one question, and please don't get your knickers in a twist.

I would like to think that ribs and powerboats have quite a lot in common, after all the vast majority of them started off as powerboats, ie: revengers, rings, phantoms, fletchers, etc.

So my question is where do SIB's fit in to this, surely most of these are owned by yotties, who are without a doubt the enemy.

Why do you seem to give powerboaters such a hard time, but tolerate SIB owners who could well be closet sailors???
Old 22 December 2002, 23:25   #105

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
SIBs are even more manly than RIBs! (Unless used on one of those daft thinks with a plank of wood and some sheets instead of an engine). Smaller boat, smaller engine, same old big nasty sea!

Seriously, SIBs are a lower budget version of RIBs. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run. Alright, so you can't go out in the same sort of conditions, but they're still pretty stable. Plus they have the added advantage of fitting in the back of the car when they're deflated. Take em anywhere!

Matt
Old 22 December 2002, 23:32   #106

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Sibs as you call them are also known as RNLI inshore lifeboats.

X boats on the tyne class and Y boats on the Aruns, are just as sea worthy as ribs in certain conditions.

You may not agree but in certain conditions they hold to the water better than a Rib as the centre of gravity is lower and a vacume is set up between hull and water.

Rnli Inshore Sibs as you call them, are well documented as recue craft and are capable of facing far bigger seas than is realised.

But are classed as inshore,as the decision to use them and in what conditions is down to the opperater/coxan.

Im not recomending people try this but if you read rescue information you will see x,y boats play an important place in rescues in quite bad conditions.

Crazyhorse
Old 22 December 2002, 23:33   #107

Narked, working on your theory, does it mean you could be even more "manly" with a lilo, or how about water wings, and the advantage of those is that you could keep them in your saddle bag!!
Old 22 December 2002, 23:41   #108

Hey Narked, just looked at you profile, and it seem we share a common interest.

I learnt to dive with BSAC, Harrow & Wealdstone branch. Long time ago. Back in the days of twin hose, Siebbe Gorman or something like that.

Don't do much now, last time a year ago on the barrier reef.
Old 22 December 2002, 23:48   #109

We cover SIBs because they are very very similar to RIBs. Nowadays a lot of SIBs have inflatable keels too, so are similar in shape to RIBs. They have inflatable tubes, like RIBs do. We aren't the only RIB oriented place that also covers SIBs. The upcoming issue of RIB International has an article by a Mr Keith Hart, all about SIBs. Keith is one of the members here, and is the "brains" behind the Orkney SIB Expedition 2003!

Lilos? Where do you put the engine? You'd need to power it manually! And that means exercise. Exercise isn't manly, it's just plain daft!

I reckon that the crew would give up on conditions in a SIB before the boat itself would.

Matt
Old 22 December 2002, 23:50   #110

Crazyhorse: we're all bonkers, otherwise we wouldn't be on this bloody forum!

It seems now that things have got a bit more peaceful at last! Back to on topic discussion.

Yup Dirk, I'm a diver, also BSAC trained. Hopefully going into the Royal Navy as an EOD Diver sometime next year, which will also involve playing about on RIBs!

Matt
Old 22 December 2002, 23:54   #111

Might not be the right time to join the navy, might get used for target practise !!
Old 23 December 2002, 00:02   #112

Shouldn't be a problem. 6 months training, followed by 2 years of basically doing ship maintenance jobs or mine disposal/defusal. If I end up the EOD unit, that's when the fun starts. Clearing the way for the Marines to do beach landings and going on behind enemy lines missions where explosives experience is needed!

Giving myself a few months holiday after finishing college before I go in though, so hopefully any problems with Iraq will be resolved by then!

Matt
Old 23 December 2002, 08:30   #113

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Dirk, after 18 pages I thought we had answered your questions, however sicne they may have been lost I will repeat them.

Start with the anticavitation plate 1 inch above the bottom of the transom. Ribs don't go round sharp corners to well if you use excessive height on the engine, so don't over do it.

Hyperlon repairs are quite straight forward. Use either bostic 2 pack glue for critical areas or if just replacing things like wear patches then evostick can be cheaper as you don't have to use the whole can unlike 2 pack glues.

If the damage is too much for you then Nick in Lymington is probably your nearest. Have a look at the home page for Ribnet and the links for firms its quite an extensive list.

There is a cruise to the CI in August, coming ?

Pete
Old 23 December 2002, 08:51   #114

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Dirk

Hi,

I was just reading one of your first posts and something you mentioned about X-height.
Also WHAT IS X-height?? never heard of that term neither my mates in SAfrica. Could you please elaborate??
Also we are very interested about your boat and if you are genuinely want some help and advise on what you should or shouldn't do with it if you give me type, model and serial No will be able to give you any info you require (free of charge).

Cheers
Old 23 December 2002, 10:06   #115

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
I just want to take advantage of this thread and and give a good welcome to the newest member Ryszard. Ryszard lives in Poland and is a good friend of mine who is new to ribs but not to the sea. Hopefully the RIBnet Forums will be an eye opener for Ryszard in respect of ribs and ribsters

Andre

Old 23 December 2002, 10:12   #116

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Welcome Ryszard You will certainly learn a few things on this forum

Just don't take things too personal

Just ask the question and wait for the perfect reply

Pete
Old 23 December 2002, 10:19   #117

WELLCOME Ruszard!!!!

Wellcome Ruszard

THIS FORUM IS ONE OF THE BEST UNIVERCITIES IN TOWN you couldn't have chosen any better

Creep creep to all LOLOL
Old 23 December 2002, 11:00   #118

Town: Kolobrzeg
Hi All

Hope to learn a lot. Ryszard
Old 23 December 2002, 11:29   #119
Trade member

Town: Yeovil, Somerset
Boat name: Ribcraft1
Make: Ribcraft
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to jace
Re: Dirk

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
[B]Hi,

I was just reading one of your first posts and something you mentioned about X-height.
Also WHAT IS X-height??
X height is usually referred to when installing Inboard sterndrives and relates to the crankshaft center. Most manufactures give an X measurement the engine should be fitted to allow the outdrive cavitation plate to be level with the keel.

On an outboard the usual technique is a ruler on the cavitation plate on an unknown height transom.

J
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2002, 15:30   #120

Correct, sorry about that, I should have said cavitation plate height. I must have had my stern drive head on.