Old 21 December 2002, 21:42   #81

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Reply to pete7

Hi Pete7,

Is it safe to come out yet, I must say that you now how to make a new guy feel most welcome!!!!!

I also don't know how long Falcon have been making ribs, but to answer your question, here goes.

I bought the rib very very cheap, less than a grand. It had been stolen, and the motors were missing, it also has slashed tubes and some fibreglass damage.

In answer to Andres question, I bought the rib on a whim, my powerboat is kept in France, to take advantage of cheap moorings and mild weather. My wife suggested that we purchase what she refers to as a toy, her words not mine. By keeping it in the solent we plan to take advantage of the evenings and weekends when we can't get away.

My remarks as to my powerboat being better for long distance is based on experience, both on my boat and friends ribs. 70+ mph in a revenger rib is great, but when the sun is going down and the air is cold you really can't beat a "slab side".

I hope that you look back on your criticisms of me, and are more forgiving next time a new member stumbles on his first few postings.

I would like to thank those of you who have sent PM's to me over the last couple of hours, and I would be the first to agree that you all shouldn't be tared with the same brush.
Old 21 December 2002, 21:47   #82

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Yes its always been safe,

Good price for a 7m hull, how bad are the tubes ? if they are major then off to Lymington to see Nick I think. If only minor then its a diy job. Shout if you need a hand. Start with the engine one inch above the transom which I think was your origninal question.

Pete

Edit: If I have been critical then I am sorry
Old 21 December 2002, 21:51   #83

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse
I bet paul lemmer gets back into ribbing...
From what I know, don't think he's actually been out of RIBing
Old 21 December 2002, 22:20   #84

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Dirk

The price you paid for the 2nd hand hull £ 1,000.00 is a fair price (not cheap) considering that the hull costs new about £2,000 -£2,500.
These boats are built to the buyers specs. Falcon is a small family business and they do not mass produce. In the next year hweveer they are going to new bigger premises and will be able to produce more boats but not that many more (between 200-300/year).
Currently Falcon (due to their good value for money good construction and durability) are VERY popular in France where they export up to 100 boats/year.
I think will now go to bed.

Good night to every one it has been very enjoyable interesting evening & night.

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2002, 22:27   #85

Re: Reply to pete7

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
I hope that you look back on your criticisms of me...
Precisely how have you been critised, Dirk?
Quote:
...and are more forgiving next time a new member stumbles on his first few postings.
I certainly know that all new members are treated superbly. I was new here once, not long ago, and was immediately invited on an amazing cruise and welcomed with unprecedented hospitality.

I think that the responses that you have received have been positive, helpful and in good humour, particularly in the circumstances of your introduction which summarily said "I've bought one of these RIB things, bit of a toy, but I'll put up with it because the wife said I've got to have it, even though it's inferior to my megabucks powerboat"
Quote:
I would like to thank those of you who have sent PM's to me over the last couple of hours, and I would be the first to agree that you all shouldn't be tared with the same brush.
Oh, looks like Flanker's PM'd you then.

Now, what type of boat holds outright world records for powered circumnavigation of mainland Great Britain in the under 30ft and under 50ft? And if you want some more, have a look at http://www.hotribs.com/11records/records.htm

(Told ya there would be fireworks )

So, did you want to talk about RIBs with RIB enthusiasts, or just patronise everyone and tell us that your powerboats are better? Perhaps it is, but I've found that RIBs and SIBs do it for me.

You've given me an idea, I think I'll go on YBW.com and tell'em that their gin palaces are phallic representations of their inadequacies. Let's see how that goes down. Stand by with the fire extinguisher.
Old 21 December 2002, 22:39   #86

Pepper if you want to upset the YBW mob mention SOC, but you will need a flack jacket and helmet. That lot really know how to give someone a hard time. Thankfully Alan P has risen above there comments. At leat on this forum people use there boats rather than just using them as caravans sat in a marina.
Old 21 December 2002, 23:09   #87

Pete, the new Flanker is actually a great source of information to us all, long may it continue.

I am sure Pepper didn't mean it quite like that. He has been stuck behind a firewall all evening so couldn't contribute much unfortunately.

Having read back though all the posts I did think that splodge actually got the hard time for coming on here and suggesting to a group of ribsters that we have been doing it wrong for all these years and tubes don't make a difference honestly! would love to rescue him from his sinking powerboat in a rib. Oh yes we did use to support the powerboat boys in there toys with ribs in the early days.

The offer to assist Dirk and the welcome from me is genuine.

Brilliant debate of some important issues, and everyone had the opportunity to contribute and as Matt said it has remainded civilised.

Bed time said Zeb,
Old 21 December 2002, 23:11   #88

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Pete7,

I will be keeping mine in a marina, but I look on it more of an apartment rather than a caravan, well a cuddy is an apartment isn't it
L.O.L.

I can always cook you breakfast on my Galley pack, unless there are some parts missing off my cooker, pepper!

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 23:13   #89

Flanker you didn't say you had a stove on it, need one for my rib, brilliant, a race then who can get to the Glaston stand first. Love a challenge.

Oops 10 pages in 5 hours, JK will throw a track, still Wavehumper has a couple of servers going cheap.
Old 21 December 2002, 23:18   #90

Come on guys, I haven't been that bad I don't want to have to arrange security round my boat, but I may be forced to I think Ribs are the best things since sliced bread (creep, creep)

Anyway thanks to you all for giving me the guts to take the plunge, maybe not the perfect choice, but a good compromise at the moment

Pete (finding out the meaning of 'Bare boat' soon)
Old 21 December 2002, 23:20   #91

Hmm, okay here is the deal, we leave your stove alone, and next time were on the water you know who we will turn to for a brew, NATO Standard of course,

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 23:21   #92

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
...unless there are some parts missing off my cooker...
Tee-hee... This could be the start of a competition....

Who can sneak the most bits of Flanker's boat out of Earls Court?

Anyway, PRECISELY how long is this boat, Pete?
Old 21 December 2002, 23:23   #93

Two foot shorter without a stern drive, lol
Old 21 December 2002, 23:23   #94

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
NATO Standard
Oh no!!!
Not that drill again - you ask for black coffee without any sugar, and the delivered drink is absolutely random - usually TEA with milk and two sugars!
Old 21 December 2002, 23:24   #95

Your on I know my place, Tea - Boy I don't mind serving my time as long as you lot all teach me about boats, my manners have improved anyway

I can always tow you to a safe haven if you get a puncture ( checking salvage rights!)

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 23:24   #96

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
Two foot shorter without a stern drive, lol
How ya gonna get the chainsaw through security?

Anyway, by a rough calc, Flanker's boat will then be 5.497m
Old 21 December 2002, 23:25   #97

Tell them my name is Pete, which it is, just drive off into the sunset.

Okay bed time, and Merry Christmas one and all.
Old 22 December 2002, 01:16   #98

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
apropos to BWM's fuel tanks etc.......

I used to have a BWM, built by the last incarnation of the organisation by Loxtons in Bridport. (Not so sadly also now defunct.) Fitted with fibreglass tank from new. Failed the very first day out and boat had to go back and have deck cut off and stainless tank fitted. Now have a Scorpion which also has a fibreglass tank. Difference is that Scorpion know what they are doing and put care and attention into the build. BWM, not to put too finer a point on it.............Didn't !

Paul Lemmer. Lovely chap, good company. I bought a boat off him once. Imagine lots of people do that. Once that is!

Dirk - Welcome to Ribnet. I suspect your Falcon is an OSPREY Falcon i.e. Falcon is the model name not the builder. Osprey have been around in a couple of guises for a fair while and the boats have a good reputation as far as I know. You've missed the point on extended RIB cruising. I've yet to find a Motor Cruiser that has a cabin as comfortable as a decent B&B/Pub/Hotel! And I've never yet been unable to secure accomodation when arriving somewhere unplanned at short notice. Even Padstow on Easter Sunday. Mind you Brian did have to resort to throwing himself on the mercy of the locals !

Flanker - Glastron GS209. Will check out whats left of it after everyone else has unscrewed bits of it at LBS. Mate of mine had one with a 5L engine. Good for 55mph. On flat water. Anything else, waste of time. Still I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

Finally, I'm not up in the middle of the night. Currently in Newfoundland. Checked up on Spirit of Cardiff today. She looks fine. Will post picture of her in the snow when I return to UK.

Night all,
Old 22 December 2002, 09:42   #99

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
You might like to ask what type of powerboat holds the outright World Record for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic (New York - UK)? Also the World Record for the furthest unassisted crossing of any ocean, or The fastest powerboat around the British Isles (Britain & Ireland) and on and on. Alan W, if you get bored, can you give her a good clean? Alan P
Old 22 December 2002, 09:52   #100

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Alan

Quote:
Dirk - Welcome to Ribnet. I suspect your Falcon is an OSPREY Falcon i.e. Falcon is the model name not the builder.

Have already corresponded with Dirk and just to let you know that from what he said his boat is the ACTUAL FALCON made in SOUTH AFRICA not the Osprey version.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote