Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 July 2014, 08:34   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: 10m +
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 40
RIB with Bow Steps/Ramp - Do they exist?

Has anybody ever seen a RIB that has a good safe method of embarking and disembarking passengers over the bow onto a beach?

I was thinking along the lines of a retractable ramp or fold down steps but it would be essential that the setup does not interfere too much with the performance of the boat at sea.

Looking to adapt a good and proven concept for use on a 11m RIB in sheltered waters/calm conditions i.e. No surf

All ideas welcomed.
__________________

__________________
SJHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 08:58   #2
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,538
Yes there is, it appeared in a powerboat and rib magazine last year I think.

http://www.nauticatenders.com/boat/catamaran

There may be some others also.
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 11:00   #3
gtb
Member
 
gtb's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHE View Post
Has anybody ever seen a RIB that has a good safe method of embarking and disembarking passengers over the bow onto a beach?

I was thinking along the lines of a retractable ramp or fold down steps but it would be essential that the setup does not interfere too much with the performance of the boat at sea.

Looking to adapt a good and proven concept for use on a 11m RIB in sheltered waters/calm conditions i.e. No surf

All ideas welcomed.
Like the London RIB rides boat?

London RIB Voyages - Our Boat - Fastest speedboat on the Thames

Then you just need some retractable ladder (like a loft ladder affair) off the bow...
__________________
gtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 11:09   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
As I recall, Nautica used to have one. The tubes on either side were separate, and the ramp made up the bow when retracted.

Found it: http://nauticatenders.com/boat/catamaran

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 11:47   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,194
i thought there were some threads on old boats on here like that, people looking to do refurbs. There was a classic that people knew about but I don't remember.
__________________
Bigtalljv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 11:59   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
The price might make your eyes water, but this is the dogs nob.... SY9 Beachlander | Pascoe International
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 13:54   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 329
Have a look at these, whilst they are not ribs they should do the job. Pioner - Pioner - the best rigid boats for work or leisure
__________________
Siochair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 15:48   #8
ncp
Member
 
ncp's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,226

Special Purpose - Emergency Transport Boats | SAFE Boats
__________________
ncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2014, 11:55   #9
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Have a look at these, whilst they are not ribs they should do the job. Pioner - Pioner - the best rigid boats for work or leisure
Rotomolded polyethylene?

Trophy built a boat like this 7 or 8 years ago; I recall they had a lot of problems with keeping hardware in the boat. The lubricity of the plastic made it too easy for the screws and such to back out.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2014, 12:02   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Rotomolded polyethylene?

Trophy built a boat like this 7 or 8 years ago; I recall they had a lot of problems with keeping hardware in the boat. The lubricity of the plastic made it too easy for the screws and such to back out.

jky

Ah, so it's a case of choosing your glue with care then?
__________________
Siochair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2014, 17:58   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
No, they had problems with things like screws (or lag bolts - whatever they used) holding seat bases backing out. Just about any hardware that screwed into the PE had problems.

Not sure what they did to address that problem.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2014, 02:43   #12
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
RIB with Bow Steps/Ramp - Do they exist?

I can remember that there was a company making these, 15/20 years back they used them as safety boats on the river seine, so the technology is there, they weren't very deep In the V I've had a think about doing something with a flip down front but I cant seem to get my head round deep V hull excepting a dropping bow
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2014, 04:07   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Ah, so it's a case of choosing your glue with care then?
Virtually no glue sticks to polyethylene. The screws issue requires forward planning at the design stage. They can mould bolt inserts into the hull at manufacture or design so it can through bolted. If you need to screw aftermarket stuff in place then self tappers should be seen as temporary... and regularly checked. You can use cavity wall type fittings that expand behind the material but keeping that watertight becomes more complex.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2014, 04:26   #14
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,179
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Virtually no glue sticks to polyethylene. The screws issue requires forward planning at the design stage. They can mould bolt inserts into the hull at manufacture or design so it can through bolted. If you need to screw aftermarket stuff in place then self tappers should be seen as temporary... and regularly checked. You can use cavity wall type fittings that expand behind the material but keeping that watertight becomes more complex.
we use a lot of UHMWPE/LDPE (different grades of polythene) at work & it's virtually impossible to glue as it exudes oil over time. All our components are mechanically fixed. We don't even use self tappers or other "screw in" type fixings, everything is nut & bolted with form G washers (big thick ones) There are one or two specialist companies that can weld polythene but I wouldn't trust it for anything structural.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2014, 05:41   #15
KJH
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: mornington
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
See this rib the other day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0320.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	96480  
__________________
KJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2014, 09:46   #16
Member
 
Simon B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,621
DELTA made one with a ramp years ago, not sure if its in production still. Saw one a while back with some nice steps that folded out, that might have been the Nautica already mentioned.
__________________

__________________
New boat is here, very happy!
Simon
www.luec.org
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×