Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 October 2005, 09:41   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 31
RIB vs Sportsboat

Having made my mind up about which RIB I want, I went and tried a 22' Sportsboat/cuddy on Saturday, a Monterey 218LSC to be exact.

The RIB and the Monterey are about the same price, give or take a grand. The RIB is a 6m with a Yam 115 plus a few toys and the Monterey has an inboard 5.0Mpi V8 with 260hp. Both go well but the Monterey is a bit quicker and has a cuddy cabin.

What I want to know is, what are the pros and cons between these two types of boat particularly in terms of sea-keeping and suitability to a choppy solent?

Thanks again from a noob!
__________________

__________________
britemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 11:09   #2
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
You are comparing a heavy 6.7 meter sportsboat with a lightweight rib.

The rib will run with alot less fuel and the hardboat will give more comfort also in choppy water.

The real comfort while sailing in rough water depens ons the type of hull and particulary the deadrise of the hull.

A real deepV gives better performance in rough water. A shallow V gives more end speed with less horsepower but will break your back in rough water.
__________________

__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 11:12   #3
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,457
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
Having made my mind up about which RIB I want, I went and tried a 22' Sportsboat/cuddy on Saturday, a Monterey 218LSC to be exact.

The RIB and the Monterey are about the same price, give or take a grand. The RIB is a 6m with a Yam 115 plus a few toys and the Monterey has an inboard 5.0Mpi V8 with 260hp. Both go well but the Monterey is a bit quicker and has a cuddy cabin.

What I want to know is, what are the pros and cons between these two types of boat particularly in terms of sea-keeping and suitability to a choppy solent?

Thanks again from a noob!
Well on this forum there can only be one answer GO FOR THE RIB unless you don't like getting wet, don't like the rough ect, ect, ect
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 11:17   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
bogib's Avatar
 
Country: Iceland
Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,959
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
This is something you really have to choose for yourself, personally I am for both, but my next boat will actualy be sportboat which I will take her half way across the Atlantic ocean next summer.

Like we say the one that has the choice also has the pain....

Bogi
__________________
RIBs and ribbing is my life
www.sjosport.is
bogib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 15:07   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
On my powerboat course a bloke came out with us a run - he had taken his first day on his own boat - an American bowrider - rinker or glastron or similar. He was stunned by the difference to the ride/speed in the waves.

Although the RIB was only a 5.5m he had a great time - think he was secretly regretting the solid boat.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 15:18   #6
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,457
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogib
This is something you really have to choose for yourself, personally I am for both, but my next boat will actualy be sportboat which I will take her half way across the Atlantic ocean next summer.

Like we say the one that has the choice also has the pain....

Bogi
Bogi

What about the other half of the ocean
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 15:26   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 382
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
Having made my mind up about which RIB I want, I went and tried a 22' Sportsboat/cuddy on Saturday, a Monterey 218LSC to be exact.

The RIB and the Monterey are about the same price, give or take a grand. The RIB is a 6m with a Yam 115 plus a few toys and the Monterey has an inboard 5.0Mpi V8 with 260hp. Both go well but the Monterey is a bit quicker and has a cuddy cabin.

What I want to know is, what are the pros and cons between these two types of boat particularly in terms of sea-keeping and suitability to a choppy solent?

Thanks again from a noob!
I do a lot of work with Montery and the 218 is my favourite boat! It has a great hull and if I was looking to buy a boat of that size I would buy it!! With the 260 V8 is gives stunning performance and copes with the Solent chop exceptionally well. I delivered a 218 too Poole in a "very" lively sea and it handled everything that was thrown at it - better than some ribs I've driven!!

Many will comment on here re rib handling and the reason why, but the fact that you have the cuddy with the 218 will give you flexibility with overnighting onboard - even if a bit cosy.
__________________
Solent Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 15:31   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 382
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
On my powerboat course a bloke came out with us a run - he had taken his first day on his own boat - an American bowrider - rinker or glastron or similar. He was stunned by the difference to the ride/speed in the waves.

Although the RIB was only a 5.5m he had a great time - think he was secretly regretting the solid boat.
In my view bowriders should not even be on anybody's shopping list in the UK. They are US lake boats - horrible things. I would almost gurantee that it was the guy's first boat and he bought a Galstron as well - ugh!

I've done "own boat" Level 2's on them and they handle like pigs and I won't even talk about "seakeeping"
__________________
Solent Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 15:35   #9
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
For a completely unbiased viewpoint you should ask the lads over on Boatmad about ribs

http://www.boatmadforum.co.uk/

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2005, 15:49   #10
Member
 
Andy Moore's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,639
In my opinion:

Ribs = cool, multi-purpose, seaworthy.
Speedboats = favoured by chavs so that they can ignore 6 knot speed limits.

I'll get me coat. ;o)

--Andy
__________________

__________________
Andy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.