Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
RIB vs cruiser

Hello from British Columbia (Vancouver)

Great site, I've read every post (ha!)

I've got a question for those that have owned larger cruising boats before moving to Ribs. I've owned 24 to 28 ft cruisers as well as a 40ft trawler in the past. I'm thinking of moving to a rib because I just don't seem to have the time for extended overnight trips.

My concern is being out in the open. How bad is it? Do you ever boat in the off season? I've speced a custom built 7.3m rib with a three sided pilothouse. Having never owned a rib before, I'd hate to spend the money having it built only to find that I don't use it because its too cold/wet. There would be pretty much nil demand for a large used rib over here.

Your thoughts? One of the reasons I'm going to a rib rather than a runabout is because I have to cross a 10 mile strait that can get pretty rough...20-30 kt winds with a steep 4-5 foot sea...even in summer. Although I don't intend regular crossings in those conditions, I need a boat that can deal with those conditions when required. Am I going in the right direction?

I'm probably just looking for positive reinforcement...I'm not going to get any from the wife. (in more ways than one)

Thanks Adrian
Old 09 November 2008, 06:37   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
I've speced a custom built 7.3m rib with a three sided pilothouse. Having never owned a rib before, I'd hate to spend the money having it built only to find that I don't use it because its too cold/wet.
Hi Adrian,

A three sided pilothouse will give you loads of shelter, even on an open RIB I regularly go out in the cold and wet - which is fine so long as you have the right gear.
Old 09 November 2008, 07:26   #3

Thanks for the reply Malthouse. I've since gone through the gallery again and find that it's rare to have a pilothouse in the UK. You guys certainly do more recreational ribbing than they do here.

Perhaps you are on to something... maybe I should avoid the commercial style pilothouse and just tough it out like you do there.
Old 09 November 2008, 07:44   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Sarah Hope
Make: Scand
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 X 5.7 EFI
I have owed a variety of boats in the past including cruisers.
7.3m is quite small to carry a wheel house, I would rather have invested in some good heavy weather clothing myself.
Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2008, 08:14   #5
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
It's something I've wondered about too as I've only really ever been on larger sailing boats and motor yachts. So when I first thought of getting a RIB I had the opportunity of going out in one. I'm hooked!
It's a tad like driving around in a big 4X4, radio on, heater fall whack going over snake pass here in northing England. And then getting on a sportsbike and doing it. Your out in the elements with not much comfort at all but the thrill of the ride is 200 fold.
Old 09 November 2008, 09:35   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
7.3m will take a wheelhouse just fine. Ezgoing (on here) has this http://www.redbayboats.com/news/newbuilds/kado.htm and cruises in comfort in all sorts of weather, including crossings to Scotland from Ireland. I'd imagine you'd want the top off in your summer , floating around off Galliano Island etc. You lucky dog!
Old 09 November 2008, 09:58   #7

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Hi and welcome to RIBnet.

Yes, I think a 7m RIB is too small to carry a wheelhouse. More like a 9m or above I would say.

Most people over here who own a RIB IMHO do enjoy the out door life and it's very common to find that RIB owners Off road their cars, camp...Etc.

However I think there could be a demand for a Consol on a RIB that would offer a better level of protection without ruining to look of the RIB or affecting what we love about RIBs which is their openess.

So why not design your own?

I have had a thought of creating a bowrider style RIB, with a two part consol one on either side of the deck with a centre walk though. It wouldn't be too difficult to create a centre roller door type cover that would effectivly Zip both parts together making two consols into one. This would offer brilliant protection for those rough days and still providing plenty of space during the Sunny days we sometimes get. The only problem you'd then have to overcome is the roof section and this could store behind the front seats as a solid fibreglass roof that could be lifted up and locked into place.

Or buy one of These:

One of Redbay's better looking craft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6143m.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	38686  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2008, 10:22   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
I went from a Searay 260 Sundancer to a rib. For us it's not about the protection. As mentioned, with decent wet weather gear it's fantastic battling with the elements. The thing we miss with the cruiser is the ability to drop the hook and sleep on it.
Old 09 November 2008, 10:26   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yes, I think a 7m RIB is too small to carry a wheelhouse. More like a 9m or above I would say.
.....and two more 7.4m ribs that are too small to carry a pilothouse/wheelhouse :

http://www.redbayboats.com/images/sf...20(Medium).JPG

I haven't used one, but the owners seem to like them. Looks are another matter. The Wraparound (soft-top) concept should work well in all seasons. Screaming04, have you any of your plans/concepts to show us?
Old 09 November 2008, 10:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
.....and two more 7.4m ribs that are too small to carry a pilothouse/wheelhouse :

http://www.redbayboats.com/images/sf...20(Medium).JPG

I haven't used one, but the owners seem to like them. Looks are another matter. The Wraparound (soft-top) concept should work well in all seasons. Screaming04, have you any of your plans/concepts to show us?
There as no Doubt that they do their jobs well, but they do look gut ugly.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 09 November 2008, 10:45   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
While not a full pilot / wheelhouse I moved to a 7.5m rib this year - see http://www.shearwaterribs.com/

the spray hood/ bimini works well & you can sleep in it if you need/ want to .

Clearly the bigger the boat the better & though I've never troed one I 've heardnotmuch comes close to the redbay boats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7260001.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	38687  
Old 09 November 2008, 10:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
While not a full pilot / wheelhouse I moved to a 7.5m rib this year - see http://www.shearwaterribs.com/

the spray hood/ bimini works well & you can sleep in it if you need/ want to .

Clearly the bigger the boat the better & though I've never troed one I 've heardnotmuch comes close to the redbay boats
Yeh, definatly one of the better looking RIB's out there, and without losing the appeal of a RIB.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 09 November 2008, 12:58   #13

Also just seen a piece in RIB mag for

www.starspring.biz

seem to show a RIBCAb for almost all ribs if I am reading it right. NOt looked at website yet , but might worth looking into .

OK just tried web & nothing there !
Old 09 November 2008, 14:03   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Looking at your location I wonder whats the temperature like and how long is the cold season for.
Old 09 November 2008, 15:20   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Also just seen a piece in RIB mag for

www.starspring.biz

seem to show a RIBCAb for almost all ribs if I am reading it right. NOt looked at website yet , but might worth looking into .

OK just tried web & nothing there !
I rather like the look of that.
It'd be a good excuse for having a diesel heater onboard too...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2008, 15:38   #16

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I guess the key question here is how comfortable are you and your wife, assuming you are appropriately dressed for the conditions (ie. floatation suits), spending time outdoors in inclement conditions. If you are both year-round outdooorsy types, I don't see any issues with an open RIB for the trip lengths and conditions you have described. The key is to stay inside and keep the fiberglass (or aluminum) side down.

Personally, I would much prefer to be in a boat that simply won't sink, even if I'm completely exposed to the elements, than in a cabin boat that has the potential to sink.
Old 09 November 2008, 23:26   #17

Thanks for all the responses.

My wife is the typical "always cold" type. I'm indifferent. Granted, with enough cold weather gear (cruiser suit/dry suit) she would be warm enough. However when we do get to our enchanted pacific isles, we want to be active and not overly encumbered by clothing.

I don't have any pictures of the design yet but as is typical here, the consul is 3 sided, has a roof, is "stand up height" with a bench seat rather than your jockey style. The consul will be almost the full width between the tubes, have side glass yet, not wrap around the bench.

I do like the redbays... they offer even more protection than my current plan. My consul will be welded aluminum and would not look pretty if it were as extensive as a redbay. The shearwater looks brilliant.

I imagine our climates are similar today its 13c with cloud and light rain. In winter we might get down to -5c or so on occasion. Summer is 20-27c on the water 30c+ inland
Old 09 November 2008, 23:43   #18

I just took a look at the canvas option above. Not bad, offers protection yet can be removed to clean up the look in summer. I'll have to think some more...

I am starting to consider the jockey seats as well. I'm sure that they cannot be beaten in rough water.
Old 10 November 2008, 03:26   #19

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I imagine our climates are similar today its 13c with cloud and light rain. In winter we might get down to -5c or so on occasion. Summer is 20-27c on the water 30c+ inland
I notice I am just a fraction further North than you - 49 v 51 deg

Temps are almost the same - it's been about 10C today. 80mph winds and hailstones/torrential rain as well though!!! The SW Coast/Wales is wide open to the Atlantic and gales can keep on for months.

My 9m RIB gives a very dry ride - hardly any water from the sea comes on board but impossible to dodge the rain as it's open.

Jockey seats are great - much more secure. You can take most of the shock with your legs.
Old 10 November 2008, 07:46   #20

If I could I'd always choose an open RIB , with jockey seats - they just look better ! & I think are better suited to any kind of rough water. Friends of mine with cruisers often remark that while thier boats could handle the weather we go out in the RIB in , they couldn't do it as quickly (25knts +) , or without all hell breaking loose in the cabin.

Its not often you see a searay type boat clear of the water at 25 kts with eveyone on board looking happy - in RIB its standard stuff. RIB every time , but I would say that !