Old 10 November 2008, 09:12   #21

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
cabin ribs

i agree with some of the others, a pilot house on a rib that small would make it a bit unstable, try to do something a bit lower and have a fixed bimini with clip on hood sides that gives you the best of both worlds, i have had all kinds of boats big and small, what i have built myself now is just right for all weathers (personal view) take a look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	38701   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018_edited.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	38702  
Old 10 November 2008, 10:32   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
There as no Doubt that they do their jobs well, but they do look gut ugly.
I think we need to accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is more to good looks than sleek lines.

Redbay will put a wraparound canopy/wheelhouse on their 6.5 m boats - if it is outboard powered (insufficient space on the diesel version), and Pete 7 was at one stage planning a "compact" berth/cabin on board his Pac22 - so thats probably about the smallest practical size.
Old 10 November 2008, 11:28   #23

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I went from a Searay 260 Sundancer to a rib. For us it's not about the protection. As mentioned, with decent wet weather gear it's fantastic battling with the elements. The thing we miss with the cruiser is the ability to drop the hook and sleep on it.
Sorted.

Polwart....'I think we need to accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is more to good looks than sleek lines.'

Absolutely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E. Dubh bay.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	38711  
Old 10 November 2008, 16:00   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I am aiming to eventually end up with a Redbay 6.5 with wrapround screen and canvas roof. Its taking a bit of working up to financially but I'm getting there boat by boat getting bigger each time!
Its a long term plan but has been the aim since I bought my first boat.
I have much the same needs as yourself, wife, rain and the cold all to be kept seperate..............
I reckon these are the mutts nuts with the best of both worlds but horses for courses etc etc.
Old 10 November 2008, 18:43   #25

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think we need to accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is more to good looks than sleek lines.
Yes, I accept that. I just think their design department could have done a better job for a cabin RIB.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 19:13   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yes, I accept that. I just think their design department could have done a better job for a cabin RIB.
I actually think they look nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB
I am aiming to eventually end up with a Redbay 6.5 with wrapround screen and canvas roof. Its taking a bit of working up to financially but I'm getting there boat by boat getting bigger each time!
Its a long term plan but has been the aim since I bought my first boat.
I have much the same needs as yourself, wife, rain and the cold all to be kept seperate..............
I reckon these are the mutts nuts with the best of both worlds but horses for courses etc etc.
me too! do you think they would do us a bulk discount! ... no thought not!
Old 11 November 2008, 06:03   #27

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post

My wife is the typical "always cold" type. I'm indifferent. Granted, with enough cold weather gear (cruiser suit/dry suit) she would be warm enough. However when we do get to our enchanted pacific isles, we want to be active and not overly encumbered by clothing.
My wife is the same.I bought a jacket from these people to solve the same problem.

http://www.exo2.co.uk/contact.html

that was about a year ago, I put a belkin socket on the consol of the rib and another on the jacket, she just plugs herself in and away we go!
The connection has a break in the line to connect to other power sources, including a powerpack she puts in her pocket,she's now got the gloves scarves the whole lot. Now used all the time for walking mutts etc.

Just another idea to consider.
Old 11 November 2008, 06:53   #28
K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Bruce, the last time i spoke to these guys they were thinking of selling their RB6.5 with cabin.
I think there was also a listing in the boats for sale on this forum

http://www.proform-marine.com/1/1/Th...rm_Marine.html
Old 11 November 2008, 12:10   #29

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Well I am just finishing off the 5.8 Humber. It will take a few years to get some use out of it before selling it and upgrading to the Redbay. The last boat was four years so probably looking about 2012 for it!
do you think they would wait that long?
Old 11 November 2008, 14:39   #30

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
If you have not yet done it call or visit Polaris in Langley BC. They know your conditions and can come up with a few options that would work for BC waters. They build a great boat.

Steve
Old 11 November 2008, 19:41   #31

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
owners view

Hi guys

Being a development boat we worked on K'ado for sometime with Redbay. As with most things in life the finished product is a mix of many enfleunces and resources.

I have only had positive comments about her design. When seen in the flesh she has a huge positive impact. A number of others appear to feel the same and have voted with their chequebooks.

As a cruiser she is very comfortable with proper seats and four point safety belts for the rough stuff. They are much more comfortable than jockey seats and very secure if cruising with kids at the end of the day/ early night.Her cabin has two bunks which regularily get used for snoozes and after dinner naps. The kids love to close themselves into the cabin to watch DVDs whilst we are travelling. We resisted the temptation to install a cooker as we find we generally get to port by mealtime.

The canopy has totally changed our approach to boating. In winter we can go boating in more severe conditions and without the need for heavy weather gear. We are able to use our boat throughout the year. The canopy also gives us greater shelter and safety for the kids allowing us to go on longer cruises to more remote places. Eighty mile hops are effortlessly achieved before lunchtime.

On the fun side of things, strip off the canopy, bring out the inflatable toys a and away you go.

As regards seakeeping we have had green water accross our roof with four kids on board on the west coast of Ireland. No worries with Redbay!

Apologies if she is not up to some peoples standards.

Rgds
Old 11 November 2008, 19:55   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
Hi guys

Being a development boat we worked on K'ado for sometime with Redbay. As with most things in life the finished product is a mix of many enfleunces and resources.

I have only had positive comments about her design. When seen in the flesh she has a huge positive impact. A number of others appear to feel the same and have voted with their chequebooks.

As a cruiser she is very comfortable with proper seats and four point safety belts for the rough stuff. They are much more comfortable than jockey seats and very secure if cruising with kids at the end of the day/ early night.Her cabin has two bunks which regularily get used for snoozes and after dinner naps. The kids love to close themselves into the cabin to watch DVDs whilst we are travelling. We resisted the temptation to install a cooker as we find we generally get to port by mealtime.

The canopy has totally changed our approach to boating. In winter we can go boating in more severe conditions and without the need for heavy weather gear. We are able to use our boat throughout the year. The canopy also gives us greater shelter and safety for the kids allowing us to go on longer cruises to more remote places. Eighty mile hops are effortlessly achieved before lunchtime.

On the fun side of things, strip off the canopy, bring out the inflatable toys a and away you go.

As regards seakeeping we have had green water accross our roof with four kids on board on the west coast of Ireland. No worries with Redbay!

Rgds
Some inside pictures would be good lid on and off
Old 11 November 2008, 19:57   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
When seen in the flesh
she has a huge positive impact.
A number of others appear to feel the same and have voted with their chequebooks.
Have seen her.
She does.
My chequebook isn't worthy!
She is.
Old 11 November 2008, 20:15   #34

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4str View Post
If you have not yet done it call or visit Polaris in Langley BC. They know your conditions and can come up with a few options that would work for BC waters. They build a great boat.

Steve
Polaris is who I have speced the boat with. Recreational ribbing is not that big in North America, so I'm looking for ideas/opinions from the experts here on ribnet.

I may supplement some of Guy's ideas with those of boats in the UK. More specifically moving away from the usual local standup rib as opposed to the jockey/lower consul found in the UK.

I'm going to bring some of the pictures off this site and see what we can come up with.

I have never seen the heated gear over here... maybe I should become the Canadian distributor...that could fund shipping a redbay over here!
Old 11 November 2008, 20:21   #35

EZgoing,

What material is your windscreen made of? I'm assuming Lexan, the ability to mount it with what appear to multiple holes in a curved piece without cracks has me curious.

Thanks,

Adrian
Old 11 November 2008, 23:15   #36

Something like this is the plan...

http://www.titanboats.com/sr249xl.html
Old 11 November 2008, 23:19   #37

Here's another one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	customsrib.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	38750  
Old 12 November 2008, 01:44   #38

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I second Ezgoing's comments about the comfort of proper cover and secure seating. Mostly folk on ribnet make comment about how a boat looks and that appears to be the general method of assessment. It's a fairly minor consideration for me...form before function seems to be the modern way...perhaps I'm just too old. Anyway, I think your initial idea of a three sided cabin/wheelhouse with a rear curtain for protection and warmth is a good one. A 6mtr boat can easily accommodate a structure of medium weight.

I'd take care when considering the ribs with a console and roof as you've linked to above. I ran a rib like this for a couple of seasons but it had a few disadvantages which were too unsatisfactory for me and eventually the roof was removed. (I've still got it if anyone wants a roof FOC.) The first is that there is a surprising amount of heat from the sun to keep you warm in an open boat, even in overcast weather, compared to always being in the shade under a roof. Obviously if you're in a warm climate then the shade will be an advantage but I never found it so here. Secondly, the air that may otherwise deflect above your head is trapped by the roof and you're captured in that draught between the top of the screen and the roof. Thirdly, there is considerable reflection of noise from the outboard motor reflected off the inside of the roof, enough to make a long journey wearying and I found it irritating, so much so I took to wearing ear defenders.
Old 12 November 2008, 03:53   #39

JW can you post pics of your current setup? What would you think of the boats I've suggested sans roof? Your points make sense...perhaps frame the roof and make the top and sides a canvas affair?

One thing though, if you look at the pics, you'll notice that there is no gap between the top of the windscreen and the roof...

I too am old....42
Old 12 November 2008, 09:39   #40

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
JW can you post pics of your current setup?
There are a few on Ribnet already if you do a search. There are also pics of the boat with the roof.
Quote:
One thing though, if you look at the pics, you'll notice that there is no gap between the top of the windscreen and the roof...
Yep, I didn't notice that. One other thing I'll mention is to have a console which is plenty wide enough to protect both of your legs from the draught whipping by. On the boat with the roof, I had full height side screens at approx 45º. They were wide enough to overlap the tubes. One was fixed and the other pivoted inward to the console side for access to the front of the boat. However, I don't think it is unreasonable to have to stand on the tubes to move forward provided there is a good hand hold on the console. The extra console width is worth having for its protection.

Quote:
I too am old....42
A mere whippersnapper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coot_MayIsle x800.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	38754