Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 November 2006, 21:50   #1

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
RIB virgin needs a little advice please.

Hi,

I am not new to boats but have never owned a RIB and I am looking for a little advice.

We are a family of 4 ( with 2 boys aged 10 and 9 ) and want a rib for fun but also the ability to undertake some cruising.
The rib will be based in Plymouth and either kept on hard standing or if the cost is in budget then taken out of the water by forklift and kept on racking. It would only get towed maybe 1 or twice a year.
I am trying to buy a boat that will give us 5 years use as the boys grow, so will be used for trips as far as IOW and across to Jersey along with towing skiers and toys.

I have spent many hours reading these forums assimilating as much information as I can, and I am now starting to go round in circles. So I phoned Ribcraft (only 45 mins away from me) and booked a factory visit. I was shown round by the aftersales guy who was very helpful and answered any questions I had. The only down side so far is the 5-6 month delivery time.

They are sending me a quote for a 585 with 2 single and 2 double jockey seats with a Suzuki 140 4 four stroke and then I’m off for a demo down at Weymouth next weekend.

So, back to the advice I need,

Is the Suzuki 140 the right engine ?
Do I really need their £2500 trailer ?
Can I buy better for my 20 (ish) thousand ?

Or should I take the gamble I will find a good new’ish rib for 20k second hand between March and May next year ?

Many thanks

Tim
Old 19 November 2006, 21:53   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Best time to buy a boat is in the depths of winter. A trailer would be a waste. Great package but wave cash under someone's nose and you could get a real bargain.
Old 19 November 2006, 21:59   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
You will pay through the nose for any sort of extra from Ricraft. They charge about the same for a trailer for the 4.8 - a trailer you can buy brand new your self for about £800.

Now is the best time of the year for a bargin. If it were me I'd keep my eye on boatsandoutboards.com and when you see what you like,go and have a look. You'll get a lot more for your 20k second hand at the moment than something you've got to wait half a year for.....
Old 19 November 2006, 22:07   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I have the 140 on my Ribcraft but a guy on here has the new 150 on his setup. How much more for that ? Have you asked Ribcraft.

As for the trailer you can shop around as suggested, it should save you money, how much I don't know.

Knowing Ribcraft your going to be pushed to get the setup you have listed with a trailer for 20K. I should imagine its more like 25K certainly once you've factored in any electronics.

As for the 585 and 140 its a good combination. Especially if you don''t push it hard everywhere. As it comes its very free revving and wil quite happily cruise at 5000 rpm unless you watch what your doing. It means you have to make a conscious effort to lift off the gas if you want to conserve fuel and your engines life.

Best of luck. I couldn't wait the long build time so picked one up nearly new second hand with the seating arrangement I wanted. Allowed me to get on the water in September rather than wait till march/April.
Old 19 November 2006, 22:10   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Heres one for a start. Perhaps a bit underpowered but lots of very seaworthy solid rib for the money. Make him an insulting offer and see where it gets you. With the money saved you could possibly afford to put a 140 on the back, and sell the 115 to cover the cost of the 140 in the summer......

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F124591/
Old 19 November 2006, 22:14   #6
ADS

Town: Dorset
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/RSL023

Old 19 November 2006, 22:30   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
I admired that one not long ago!!!
Old 19 November 2006, 22:32   #8

Wow, quick replies.

Thanks, what you say does make alot of sense.

Im not able to buy S/H till Feb (1/2 of cash not available till then) and although I would never buy a new car, I am tempted to buy a rib new, daft I know.

If I buy a trailer elsewhere I would save a good 1300, that would go along way to the electronics

To be honest, I am expecting the quote to come in at 22k without trailer or elctronics. Just have to wait and see, I'm happy to put it up here if you wish (or is that just not done?).
Old 19 November 2006, 22:39   #9
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I admired that one not long ago!!!
I have looked at it up close, nice bit of kit, the owner posts on here. If he is prepared to pay ribshop a brokerage fee then surely there is some negotiation on the price for a private sale
Old 19 November 2006, 22:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
and sell the 115 to cover the cost of the 140 in the summer......
I had not thought of that, guess I'm being a bit slow at the lateral thinking. Might not be the most cost effective way but would not be too bad and could be done. I am guessing you are saying that boats / outboards sell for more in the summer months?
Old 19 November 2006, 22:42   #11

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Secondhand

Tim

I have found over the years that their is always value to be had in secondhand.

If you are looking at the premium brands they will not have deteriated much in a few years but will have depreciated a lot. When you reflect on the usage many pleasure boats get you will probaly arrive at the same conclusion as I which is that unless you are looking for something very custom built then you will probaly find what you want secondhand.

As regards the engine I always feel a stronger engine is better on the grounds that it will not have to work as hard as a smaller one, The extra power will add to your seaworthiness.

As regards the size, from experience I have found that bigger is always better. A bigger boat will extend your cruising capacity and be much safer. The difference between what you are looking at and a 6.5 or 7 is huge.

Best of luck.
Old 19 November 2006, 22:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
I have looked at it up close, nice bit of kit, the owner posts on here. If he is prepared to pay ribshop a brokerage fee then surely there is some negotiation on the price for a private sale
I thought about that one, just think a 225 is a tad large for us.
Old 19 November 2006, 22:47   #13
ADS

Would prob come down on price, what with Christmas coming up:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F118055

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BS08667

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BEM361 my choice, and plenty of change for petrol and some new seating.

Lots about
Old 19 November 2006, 22:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
bigger is always better.
I agree (to an extent), and I am starting to see second hand may be a better option.
I think I am just a little nervous of not finding a rib in early spring and the prices being pushed up by demand.
Old 19 November 2006, 23:01   #15
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
I agree (to an extent), and I am starting to see second hand may be a better option.
I think I am just a little nervous of not finding a rib in early spring and the prices being pushed up by demand.
The best time to sell is in the Spring, and prices are also pushed up a little by the on set of summer. Now is a good time to buy..... The Ribcraft 585 is a fantastic package, but is alot of money in comparison to other RIBs on both the new and second hand markets. However, the Ribcraft will hold its value, and is a safe choice due to their reputation and aftersales service.
Old 20 November 2006, 06:59   #16

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Blatant advertising I know

Mine is up for grabs 2003 6.9 Solent 150 hp opti full service history £18750 with new trailer £17250 without ,seating for 8/10 vhf dsc and plotter/sounder plus free tuition
Old 20 November 2006, 07:35   #17

Town: Hampshire
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175hp
Ribcraft 5.85

I have a Ribcraft 5.85 that I am selling in the next 6 months.

July 2002
Yamaha F115 (fantastic engine)
5 single jockey seats.
A frame with Nav Lights
Trailer

Regards

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000900101.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	23312  
Old 20 November 2006, 08:45   #18

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
This Rib is for sale and the guy is a member of ribnet
I think its a cracking boat!!
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F100825/
But I personally Wouldn't "Go across to Jersey along with towing skiers and toys."
Old 20 November 2006, 13:06   #19

I would like to say thanks for the replies.

It looks like I am starting to see that S/H is a viable option with many good boats available.

I will still go for the demo in the ribcraft but the sales man is going to struggle to convince me I want his new shiney boat.
There are 2 main reasons for this,
a. 6 months (or more if it goes over) is a long wait.
b. For about the same money I could find a very good bigger boat that would probable give us much better value and enjoyment.

There is nothing wrong in 'Blatant advertising' and if anyone has a rib for sale in Feb then feel free to let me know.

I now have another question, just how much fuel does a 200 / 225 HP use compared to a 140.

Thanks

Tim
Old 20 November 2006, 14:10   #20
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
Hi Tim,
On the fuel consumption side. The 225 on that Yellow Osprey burns about 30 ltrs per hr at 30Knts and 40 ltrs per hr at 40Knts. Over 40knots and it goes a little bit exponential...

I am sure a you would be right to assume that Hot Lemon could be had at a good price if you contacted the owner directly.

Cheers

Ozz