Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 November 2006, 19:53   #21

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Jcraft
Length: 6m +
choosing a Rib

www.jcraft.co.uk have an 6.8m summer demo boat with 175Hp evinrude for immediate sale, based in Portsmouth they offer free demos. speak to jamie there. in my opinion for a 5.8 the max hp you would need is 150hp. The £2500.oo for a trailer also seems a little extortionate try speaking to Arthur at Degraff trailers.
Old 20 November 2006, 21:35   #22

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
Hi,

I am not new to boats but have never owned a RIB and I am looking for a little advice.

We are a family of 4 ( with 2 boys aged 10 and 9 ) and want a rib for fun but also the ability to undertake some cruising.
The rib will be based in Plymouth and either kept on hard standing or if the cost is in budget then taken out of the water by forklift and kept on racking. It would only get towed maybe 1 or twice a year.
I am trying to buy a boat that will give us 5 years use as the boys grow, so will be used for trips as far as IOW and across to Jersey along with towing skiers and toys.

I have spent many hours reading these forums assimilating as much information as I can, and I am now starting to go round in circles. So I phoned Ribcraft (only 45 mins away from me) and booked a factory visit. I was shown round by the aftersales guy who was very helpful and answered any questions I had. The only down side so far is the 5-6 month delivery time.

They are sending me a quote for a 585 with 2 single and 2 double jockey seats with a Suzuki 140 4 four stroke and then I’m off for a demo down at Weymouth next weekend.

So, back to the advice I need,

Is the Suzuki 140 the right engine ?
Do I really need their £2500 trailer ?
Can I buy better for my 20 (ish) thousand ?

Or should I take the gamble I will find a good new’ish rib for 20k second hand between March and May next year ?

Many thanks

Tim

Picked up new 585 with suzy 140 on rapide trailer earlier this year
All working fine
Compared to the snipe trailer I had with my old ribcraft 5.3, the new trailer is so much easier to launch and recover from. I travel from Herts to the coast when using the boat so reduced time farting about on the slipway is really important to me, not so for you
As ever one of the main things to consider about buying a rib is the value it retains and how easy it is to sell. In that regard IMHO Ribcraft as a brand and the 585 as a boat is a hard to beat sub 6m combination.

Andrew
Old 20 November 2006, 21:43   #23

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I back the Edges quote with regards resale. Notwithstanding my other comments. For resale at the moment you can't beat a Ribcraft with the right seating. In fact thinking about it I meet an increasing number of people with perfectly good RIBs but would like a RIB with side by seating.
Seeing as you are in the buying stage go for one with at least side by seating.
Old 20 November 2006, 22:09   #24

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Oh and if you ever want to tour round the country with your RIB then the RIBCRAFT 585 is probably the largest boat you want to do it with.

Having said that if you have a Marina berth or mooring then go for a 7 meter plus boat.
Old 20 November 2006, 22:21   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I loved towing my 9m outfit - the triple axle trailer was so stable and everyone got out of my way!!! Until I found somewhere to keep my boat it had to go everywhere with me - even to Tesco and MacDonalds although not through the drive though!!!
Old 20 November 2006, 22:22   #26

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edges View Post
Picked up new 585 with suzy 140 on rapide trailer earlier this year
All working fine
Compared to the snipe trailer I had with my old ribcraft 5.3, the new trailer is so much easier to launch and recover from. I travel from Herts to the coast when using the boat so reduced time farting about on the slipway is really important to me, not so for you
As ever one of the main things to consider about buying a rib is the value it retains and how easy it is to sell. In that regard IMHO Ribcraft as a brand and the 585 as a boat is a hard to beat sub 6m combination.

Andrew
Andrew - was your Snipe trailer a multi-roller type? I find it odd that you'd take more time launching & recovering a 5.3?
Old 20 November 2006, 23:00   #27

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
I never expected so many people would reply.

My options have been opend up a great deal, all I need to do now is draw a line at just how big I am willing to go

I can now limit my choice to about 6 manufacturers with a size range of 5.85 to 7.5 meters. Still leaves alot of ribs to choose from, just need to keep the budget on track and not get carried away.
Old 21 November 2006, 07:22   #28

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by v666 View Post
Hi,

I am not new to boats but have never owned a RIB and I am looking for a little advice.

We are a family of 4 ( with 2 boys aged 10 and 9 ) and want a rib for fun but also the ability to undertake some cruising.
The rib will be based in Plymouth and either kept on hard standing or if the cost is in budget then taken out of the water by forklift and kept on racking. It would only get towed maybe 1 or twice a year.
I am trying to buy a boat that will give us 5 years use as the boys grow, so will be used for trips as far as IOW and across to Jersey along with towing skiers and toys.

I have spent many hours reading these forums assimilating as much information as I can, and I am now starting to go round in circles. So I phoned Ribcraft (only 45 mins away from me) and booked a factory visit. I was shown round by the aftersales guy who was very helpful and answered any questions I had. The only down side so far is the 5-6 month delivery time.

They are sending me a quote for a 585 with 2 single and 2 double jockey seats with a Suzuki 140 4 four stroke and then I’m off for a demo down at Weymouth next weekend.

So, back to the advice I need,

Is the Suzuki 140 the right engine ?
Do I really need their £2500 trailer ?
Can I buy better for my 20 (ish) thousand ?

Or should I take the gamble I will find a good new’ish rib for 20k second hand between March and May next year ?

Many thanks

Tim
I've just been through this exercise (new RC) in hindsight

I picked the 150 on the back of a new 585 (approx £1000 over 140)

still over revving with 23" prop and chine walking...which although all very exciting,in a jesus ceerist sort of way (and what I wanted) I think because of extra weight on transom slightly more bow high and slightly rougher power delivery
The 140 is probably a better matched combo,the extra go is not neccessary.

(RC did tell me this ) Deal with Dorian Martin.

the extra's do add up, £25,000 is still conservative.

If you can stretch there is a nice 6.5 (this years) with 175 for sale on this forum?
Old 21 November 2006, 08:42   #29

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Our boats are a little bigger and more money than you're looking for, but as you are so close you would be welcome to come over for a visit - we're at Churchstow near Kingsbridge.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2006, 12:15   #30

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Andrew - was your Snipe trailer a multi-roller type? I find it odd that you'd take more time launching & recovering a 5.3?
Hi Brad
Yes it was multi roller but not as many rollers and the way the rapide is set up the boat sits kind of lower "in" the trailer rather than perched "on" top so when recovering you can "shoot it straight in" (so to speak!! And when towing (like to North Wales ribnet cruise ) it all feels more secure sitting that bit lower

The winch is much more efficient and easy to use (2 speed etc)
The jockey wheel is pnuematic not solid like the snipe
And its nice not to have to worry about bearings and brakes for at least a year !!!

I'm sure I could have tweaked the snipe but i'm a lazy git!

Hope to see you and the good lady again in Cornwall 2007 (we're there end of july)

Andrew