Old 06 June 2007, 14:10   #41

Sarah,
TFR is what most valet companies use, i know know i used to run one!
The best way to apply it is hose down the RIB & use a spray bottle (as you use in the garden) leave it to stand for a min then scrub it will foam up a bit and as codders says may change colour Then rinse of with lots of clean water.
We used it on yachts with ali toe rails with no problems. Just dont leave to dry on the boat.

wear gloves & goggles its evil stuff, but is biodegradable!!
You can buy from Autoglym for approx £30 for 25ltr which you can dilute (by up to approx 60%) will last ages!!
Old 06 June 2007, 14:59   #42
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I wouldn't put the stuff near my boat.
I would and have. It works well and with a little common sense you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd be careful about using it full strength though. It's OK on small areas but make sure you rinse it off well. Smothering the boat with undiluted TFR and leaving it to dry would probably be a bad idea though . . .

John
Old 06 June 2007, 15:15   #43

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Don't use a green nylon scourer as it can scuff the tubes unless you are carefull. A softish scrubbing brush is the answer. Using the dilute TFR readymix is a lot safer than using the neat stuff. £5 for 5 litres from Machine Mart. Just scrub it hard into the tubes. Don't worry about it damaging anything as you will be washing it all off afterwards. You may well see the suds turning pink/red - worry not it just shows it's working.

Chcuk the stuff into a bucket - dip brush into the solution and scrub away - don't try to spread it over too big an area - you need to slap loads of it on!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springtide66 View Post
Sarah,
TFR is what most valet companies use, i know know i used to run one!
The best way to apply it is hose down the RIB & use a spray bottle (as you use in the garden) leave it to stand for a min then scrub it will foam up a bit and as codders says may change colour Then rinse of with lots of clean water.
We used it on yachts with ali toe rails with no problems. Just dont leave to dry on the boat.

wear gloves & goggles its evil stuff, but is biodegradable!!
You can buy from Autoglym for approx £30 for 25ltr which you can dilute (by up to approx 60%) will last ages!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I would and have. It works well and with a little common sense you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd be careful about using it full strength though. It's OK on small areas but make sure you rinse it off well. Smothering the boat with undiluted TFR and leaving it to dry would probably be a bad idea though . . .

John
OK - I feel primed and ready to clean - all I need now is the boat. I'll give it a go in a small inconspicuous area first and then try somewhere a little more prominent.

Thanks guys
Old 06 June 2007, 16:34   #44

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Just another thought. I used

"Pro Marine Ribshine Ribshine is the ulimate product in rib and inflatable boat cleaning. Ribshine is a powerful non-streaking, non-flammable biodegradable fluid that is designed to remove grease, dirt, oil film, algae etc from inflatable boat and rib tubes. Ribshine works on all types of fabric.
Ribshine comes in a 500ml bottle with a spray nozzle. "

Paid £7 for it in Lymington.

Used it on yellow tubes. Amazingly good. First application leaves some darker streaky marks. Second application 10 minutes later removes them. I use an old Boots bath sponge with a rough pad on the bottom. Spray the evil pink gunk on. Wait a minute or so. Rub off with the sponge rough pad downwards. Hose with loads of water.

It is evil stuff - made my hands dry out and smells horrible. I used a bottle and a half. Removed a lighter patch which sticks out from the cover on the ends of the tubes at the rear. Removed all gunk and dark shadows.

Really impressed.

Can only say it is the best I have found for yellow hypaplon.
Old 06 June 2007, 16:35   #45

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

John
A really bad idea. I never use it on the boat at anything stronger than 50% diluted.It'll streak like hell. Apply with a pump spray and work with a large sponge. Don't let it dry. Clean and rinse as you go. It's amazing stuff, the grime will fall out of the Hypalon. You'll need to apply some tube protector pretty much as soon as the boat is dry. The TFR will strip all waxes or UVF protection and leave the thing exposed to the elements. Best to get it protected as soon as poss. I use Polymarine inflatable protector, others on this site swear by other products inc. floor polish . The missus always has dilute TFR in a small sprayer in the utility for those stubborn stains, brilliant stuff.
Old 06 June 2007, 17:30   #46

OK so I need TFR and protection. What about 303 - Sun Tan Lotion for your RIB. That one I think I've seen mentioned on various threads.

Bearing in mind the tubes are blue - does it matter which one is used? I'd rather that they didn't end up looking really shiny - or is that inevitable?
Old 06 June 2007, 19:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
OK so I need TFR and protection. What about 303 - Sun Tan Lotion for your RIB. That one I think I've seen mentioned on various threads.

Bearing in mind the tubes are blue - does it matter which one is used? I'd rather that they didn't end up looking really shiny - or is that inevitable?
303 is good stuff, you will get shiny and slippery with it though. It's primary use is for hot-tub lids. As I said, each to their own when it comes to protection. On the 'protection' theme, as JK mentioned, where some decent rubber. TFR strips the natural oils out of the skin and leaves it in a right mess.
Old 06 June 2007, 20:53   #48

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Well we've gone and done it now - we've bought a rib. The Renegade 6500 in all her glory. We've been out all day on her and I think it is a Love thing...

Firstly I would like to thank everybody for their ideas, feedback and comments from my last thread. It all came in handy.

Need some advice - the trailer has been used to launch the boat but fundamentally hasn't been used off the boat yard for two years. The bearings are probably shot so we can't pick her up until the bearings are done. Does anybody know of a good trailer person who can replace the bearings so that we can tow her 100 miles (or so) from the Weymouth area?

The rest of the trailer looks pretty sound - it is a two wheel not four wheel - don't know if this makes a difference.

There will be other posts with other questions about 'how to' along the way, but the first job is to get her home.

Many thanks,

Hi SG
Thats a very nice boat. Just wondering if its front heavy on the trailer. Also looks like it could do with wind fairing visor to protect you from the elements.
Good value.
Old 06 June 2007, 20:57   #49

Did you buy it in Phuket?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phuket.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	27450  
Old 06 June 2007, 21:01   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Hi SG
Thats a very nice boat. Just wondering if its front heavy on the trailer. Also looks like it could do with wind fairing visor to protect you from the elements.
Good value.
I think ideally with the weight of this boat a four-wheeler would do better. I definitely agree with the wind visor - I would like to get one fitted. I read the thread about making your own - not convinced I have the skills although my man doesn't see the problem! Watch this space...
Old 06 June 2007, 21:02   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Did you buy it in Phuket?
Yeah - that's right and then brought it all the way back - not...

Previous owners who were lovely by the way...
Old 06 June 2007, 22:42   #52

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
I think ideally with the weight of this boat a four-wheeler would do better. I definitely agree with the wind visor - I would like to get one fitted. I read the thread about making your own - not convinced I have the skills although my man doesn't see the problem! Watch this space...
Visor is a top idea otherwise you will have to keep stopping to do your hair!!
Old 07 June 2007, 00:14   #53
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I think ideally with the weight of this boat a four-wheeler would do better.
For towing, yes. If you're launching and dunking the axles you're better off with a 2 wheeler-maintaining a 4 wheeler will get expensive.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2007, 10:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
For towing, yes. If you're launching and dunking the axles you're better off with a 2 wheeler-maintaining a 4 wheeler will get expensive.
Never thought of that. Good point. I'm very interested in the US product was it Bearing Buddy - for a long-term solution - is it sold in the UK and if so where from and how much?
Old 07 June 2007, 13:08   #55
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Chichester Harbour

Just watch out for the Harbour patrol they like nailing RIBS at speed . You are OK once you pass the lst beacon on the beach at the mouth but b4 that 8KNOTS . They do enforce and fine a mate of mine £900 in total but he was being a ..... and he did tell the where to go as well !
Old 07 June 2007, 13:41   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Just watch out for the Harbour patrol they like nailing RIBS at speed . You are OK once you pass the lst beacon on the beach at the mouth but b4 that 8KNOTS . They do enforce and fine a mate of mine £900 in total but he was being a ..... and he did tell the where to go as well !
Thankfully been sailing in the harbour for too many years, however, now that I have crossed over to the 'Dark Side' I will be very careful thanks.

;o)
Old 07 June 2007, 14:29   #57
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Never thought of that. Good point. I'm very interested in the US product was it Bearing Buddy - for a long-term solution - is it sold in the UK and if so where from and how much?
They are called Bearing savers over here. Dixon-Bate sell them to name one, but they are a bugger to get a wheelclamp over to fit which is an insurance stipulation most of the time. The only one I could get on was the SAS clamp

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2007, 14:43   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They are called Bearing savers over here. Dixon-Bate sell them to name one, but they are a bugger to get a wheelclamp over to fit which is an insurance stipulation most of the time. The only one I could get on was the SAS clamp
I've just purchased a wheel clamp and hitch lock. Neither of them are SAS though so perhaps the bearing savers will have to wait. You've been really impressed with them though haven't you?