Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Hi Sarah,

Good luck with the test drive.
Can I ask what you are trying out?

And please feel free to drop me a line or call anytime re the electronics.

All the best
Hi Jon

We are test driving a Porters Renegade 6.5 with a Tohatsu 140 2-stroke engine. It is a 1998 boat but looks in good nick - hopefully I will know more on Thursday (weather permitting).
Old 29 May 2007, 19:03   #122

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Sarah, you might find this site useful:

http://www.porters.org.uk/rescue.htm

It lists the Porters RIB prices, so you can work out what the new price of that boat would be. Which, should help you work out it's used value and whether the asking price is reasonable.

It certainly helped when I bought mine.
Old 29 May 2007, 19:24   #123

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Take some photos and post them if you get a momnent. Then many of us will be able to add (in my case questionably valuable) input!
Old 29 May 2007, 19:25   #124

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
And do check you have hydraulic steering.....
Old 29 May 2007, 19:42   #125

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
And do check you have hydraulic steering.....
Why ?
Old 29 May 2007, 19:51   #126

Town: Fareham
Wahh, you do know the right word to use, Pete!!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 10:47   #127

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
Sarah, you might find this site useful:

http://www.porters.org.uk/rescue.htm

It lists the Porters RIB prices, so you can work out what the new price of that boat would be. Which, should help you work out it's used value and whether the asking price is reasonable.

It certainly helped when I bought mine.
Hi Guy

Thanks for this. This is really useful. I've looked at the new costs which makes interesting reading but of course these boats don't have all the bits (trailer, engine, etc.) but very interesting non-the-less. Also, it means I have somewhere I can go - if this is the boat for us - to get the odd bit done, like a new windshield. I have checked out the threads and think that this is a job for the patient not for me...

Thanks again.
Old 30 May 2007, 10:48   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
Take some photos and post them if you get a momnent. Then many of us will be able to add (in my case questionably valuable) input!
Hi Bruce

Good plan. I think Thursday has been called off due to the weather but hopefully next Tuesday is looking better.

I'll take you up on your idea.

Many thanks

Sarah
Old 30 May 2007, 10:49   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why ?
What is the the pro/con of having hydraulic steering? Sorry if this is a numpty questions...
Old 30 May 2007, 12:20   #130

I must admitt that my preferance is Hydrualic steering.

From a safety angle if you let go of the helm in a cable steered boat it will always go around in circles, if you've fallen in the water and the engine hasn't cut it will run you over.

With Hydraulic steering the boat will carry on at what ever the steering position was when you let go. So generally will not run you over unless you fell out doing a tight turn.

The other advantage to hydraulic is that it is generally easier to steer and might well benefit youngters if you wanted then to have a go.

The Disadvantage is the cost, £350 ish for a sub 150hp and upward of £500ish for anything over 150hp. But if you're using anything over 115 you won't get an option on the cable steering.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 May 2007, 12:50   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I must admitt that my preferance is Hydrualic steering.

From a safety angle if you let go of the helm in a cable steered boat it will always go around in circles, if you've fallen in the water and the engine hasn't cut it will run you over.

With Hydraulic steering the boat will carry on at what ever the steering position was when you let go. So generally will not run you over unless you fell out doing a tight turn.

The other advantage to hydraulic is that it is generally easier to steer and might well benefit youngters if you wanted then to have a go.

The Disadvantage is the cost, £350 ish for a sub 150hp and upward of £500ish for anything over 150hp. But if you're using anything over 115 you won't get an option on the cable steering.
The other disadvantage is that often, Hydraulic steering requires more turns lock to lock than cable steering (ack. Nasher). This obviously affects your low speed maneuvering.

I have to say I'm a fan of Hydraulic Steering these days. I've got a rib that used to belong to Pete7, and how he kept that 150hp Opti under control with cable steering I will never know! Kathleen "The Jackeens" was very pleased to learn I had replaced it with hydraulics

If the Rib doesn't have Hydraulic Steering, I can offer about 5% off Aquafax retail prices - www.aquafax.co.uk - which doesn't work out as bad as you might think!
Old 30 May 2007, 13:12   #132

Quote:

So does that mean that because it is a 140 it would be standard is that a daft question.
Old 30 May 2007, 13:19   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
So does that mean that because it is a 140 it would be standard is that a daft question.
Very possibly, as Jimbo stated, he used to have cable steering for a 150hp outboard.

I would go for the hydrualic just for peace of mind.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 May 2007, 13:22   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
The other disadvantage is that often, Hydraulic steering requires more turns lock to lock than cable steering (ack. Nasher). This obviously affects your low speed maneuvering.
Not nessesarily!

I custom chose mine to go lock to lock in 3-3.5 turns, but this will be a more costly option as you'll need a higher capacity helm unit. It will also be harder to turn than a standard 1.7 cu" one, but by how much, I'll let you know in 8 weeks time

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 May 2007, 13:41   #135

Quote:

I have to say I'm a fan of Hydraulic Steering these days. I've got a rib that used to belong to Pete7, and how he kept that 150hp Opti under control with cable steering I will never know! Kathleen "The Jackeens" was very pleased to learn I had replaced it with hydraulics

If the Rib doesn't have Hydraulic Steering, I can offer about 5% off Aquafax retail prices - www.aquafax.co.uk - which doesn't work out as bad as you might think!
So it could really depend on the boat and its handling to decide whether you need to change from cable to Hydraulic Steering.

I'll ask the owner to see whether it has hydraulic steering and thanks for the offer - we might well need it.
Old 30 May 2007, 15:18   #136

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Not nessesarily!

I custom chose mine to go lock to lock in 3-3.5 turns, but this will be a more costly option as you'll need a higher capacity helm unit. It will also be harder to turn than a standard 1.7 cu" one, but by how much, I'll let you know in 8 weeks time
Good choice Andy.

I am also a huge fan of Hydraulic steering.
I recently changed my helm unit as it was giving me 10 turns lock to lock. I opted for one that gave me 3.5turns lock to lock and although its OK for me, the smaller Nashers have complained its much stiffer than before. They did get used to it very quickly though.

I'd suggest that hydraulics should be used on anything above 140HP.

Nasher
Old 30 May 2007, 16:21   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
So it could really depend on the boat and its handling to decide whether you need to change from cable to Hydraulic Steering.

I'll ask the owner to see whether it has hydraulic steering and thanks for the offer - we might well need it.
Absolutely. A lot of it will depend on the age of the cable, how the engine is rigged (Greyhound, my old Ribtec 585, used to have an enormous amount of Prop Torque trying to twist the engine), the size of the engine, and even the position of the steering wheel in relation to where you are sitting. The route of a cable steering system in terms of the number of corners and turns will also affect it.

There was an argument I heard aaages ago that Hydraulic Steering also offers a small benefit on fuel economy, as you don't have to make lots of minor corrections to keep in a straight line, as you might with cable steering. I haven't really delved into this though.
Old 30 May 2007, 17:07   #138

Quote:
Absolutely. A lot of it will depend on the age of the cable, how the engine is rigged (Greyhound, my old Ribtec 585, used to have an enormous amount of Prop Torque trying to twist the engine), the size of the engine, and even the position of the steering wheel in relation to where you are sitting. The route of a cable steering system in terms of the number of corners and turns will also affect it.

There was an argument I heard aaages ago that Hydraulic Steering also offers a small benefit on fuel economy, as you don't have to make lots of minor corrections to keep in a straight line, as you might with cable steering. I haven't really delved into this though.
Good news - the boat does have hydraulic steering. Also interested in the argument about fuel economy - let's face it, even it makes an insy winsey difference, with the cost of fuel at the moment - that's great.
Old 30 May 2007, 18:05   #139
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
So generally will not run you over unless you fell out doing a tight turn.
But that is exactly when you are most likely to get thrown out - so it reduces the argument somewhat...
Old 30 May 2007, 18:23   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
But that is exactly when you are most likely to get thrown out - so it reduces the argument somewhat...
Surely a killcord should sort this problem out anyway - or am I being niave?