Old 22 May 2007, 09:32   #61

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixy_the_red View Post
I'm sure this is probably irrelevant, but on the subject of towing. If you both sat your driving tests before 1997 you're OK, but if not you'll need to take another test to tow anything with brakes.

Its also worth reading Nos's beginners guide as it might just contain something you hadn't thought of.

Don't mean to come across as patronising in the slightest as you obviously do have some boating experience...
Sadly old enough to have grandad rights to towing.

Thanks for the beginners guide reference - I'll be printing that off and reading. I've towed many trailers and so long as nobody is watching I can usually reverse them into narrow spots, but I have never towed a boat especially not one with an engine on the back.

Thanks
Old 22 May 2007, 10:53   #62

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F144551/

Does anybody know anything about this type of boat (hope the link works)? It appears to tick the boxes and the engine size isn't enormous.
Old 22 May 2007, 11:00   #63

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post

Does anybody know anything about this type of boat (hope the link works)? It appears to tick the boxes and the engine size isn't enormous.
Very nice looking boat - fairly old so it all depends on condition - with light use could be better than many 2 yr old boats.

Don't know the make but looks quite capable.

The main problem will be the engine - Tohatsus are great but that's an old tech 2 stroke so will be fairly thristy I would have thought. Bombproof engine though and loads of grunt.
Old 22 May 2007, 11:12   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Very nice looking boat - fairly old so it all depends on condition - with light use could be better than many 2 yr old boats.

Don't know the make but looks quite capable.

The main problem will be the engine - Tohatsus are great but that's an old tech 2 stroke so will be fairly thristy I would have thought. Bombproof engine though and loads of grunt.
Thanks Codprawn. I think that after the weekend, might contact them to have a look. Nice looking boat and seems to have everything we need as a starter. Interesting about the engine -have to have a LPG conversion on the Car perhaps...
Old 22 May 2007, 11:35   #65

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Mark Halliday has a Renegade 6.5m, same engine too. They were built by Porters in Emsworth. Worth doing a search on Ribnet either by his name or "Porters" and Renegade etc. They went on to build the Tohatsu range, which is very similar to the Solent Ribs.

This would be worth a read ref fuel consumption.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...highlight=fuel

Put yours and hubbies name down for the Priory Bay picnic (IOW) and cadge a lift off someone, there will be lots of ribs there. You won't be the only girl there, Sixy, Viv and The Missus will be on hand to answer lots of techincal questions

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17925

Pete
Old 22 May 2007, 11:42   #66

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
I think the more exposure to this fab website will also stand me in good sted.
As long as you are not negotiating with Humber...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 12:04   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Mark Halliday has a Renegade 6.5m, same engine too. They were built by Porters in Emsworth. Worth doing a search on Ribnet either by his name or "Porters" and Renegade etc. They went on to build the Tohatsu range, which is very similar to the Solent Ribs.

This would be worth a read ref fuel consumption.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...highlight=fuel

Put yours and hubbies name down for the Priory Bay picnic (IOW) and cadge a lift off someone, there will be lots of ribs there. You won't be the only girl there, Sixy, Viv and The Missus will be on hand to answer lots of techincal questions

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17925

Pete
This is great - I've emailed Mark to see what his feelings are on the boat.

Think we can do the picnic, I'll talk to my man and see if he has anything planned. If not, may have to cadge a lift - if we haven't bought a boat of course.

I'm getting all excited now. Just need a boat...
Old 22 May 2007, 12:06   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
As long as you are not negotiating with Humber...
Stephen, I like your comment after your name - unfortunately I could say the same about my house and my car...
Old 22 May 2007, 12:22   #69
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:

Good hull, I believe its the same as Jimbo's although this one was built by a different boat builder, they are very quick with smaller outboards as they are quite light, and that one has some decent seating. The Tohatsu on is a good reliable outboard, just look at the Zap Cat circuit to see the abuse they can take. That one will be very thirsty being an old tech carb'd 2 stroke, rather than one of the new high pressure direct injection 2 strokes, or efi four strokers. Having said that don't right off an outboard like that because the money you have saved from buying a new engine buys alot of petrol.
Old 22 May 2007, 12:41   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
The Tohatsu on is a good reliable outboard, just look at the Zap Cat circuit to see the abuse they can take. That one will be very thirsty being an old tech carb'd 2 stroke, rather than one of the new high pressure direct injection 2 strokes, or efi four strokers. Having said that don't right off an outboard like that because the money you have saved from buying a new engine buys alot of petrol.
If you were to replace the engine, what would be the sort of costs. One of the places we visited at the weekend was quoting 15K for a new one - is this serious or do I need to start selling my kidneys?
Old 22 May 2007, 12:58   #71

Quote:
Good hull, I believe its the same as Jimbo's
I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Porters hulls were derived from the BWM moulds?
Old 22 May 2007, 13:05   #72
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Porters hulls were derived from the BWM moulds?
You might be right, I was under the possibly wrong impression that the Tohatsu RIB's, Solents, and Renegades were pretty much one and the same.

Quote:
Old 22 May 2007, 13:09   #73

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
I've emailed Mark to see what his feelings are on the boat.
Sarah
Ta for the email.
I thought I would post my reply here, so as to fuel the discussion.

I like the Renegade. It is big for a 6.5 even it really is only 6.3m long.
Int. beam is 5' 1/2" from the console back so you dont knock feet/knees with the 3 x 3 seating. The down side is that it is nearly 8' 6" wide on the outside, which is around the width of Nos's artic'. I can not see past the tubes in any of the mirrors on my V8 Disco, even with towing mirrors attached! So towing can be interesting around push-bikes and narrow lanes.
It is not the fastest craft around. Mine tops out at around 38 - 40 kts. However you can get loads of kit, beer, kids etc in it. (See Pic) The console seat is far enough back not to act as an ejector seat, and I am happy to let my 9 y.o. sit there if things are not too rough.
It is a dry(ish) boat with a soft ride due to the huge flare and fine bow. The beam means it does not "tip" too much when turning so kids feel safe in it.
The Tohatsu 140 is bullet proof but thirsty and a bit loud. Economy wise I do around 1.1 to 1.3 l/nm. So a trip to from Northney to Cowes and back costs around £40-50. It will make the disco seem like the most economic car in the world. The way I look at things is that I can buy a lot of fuel for the £8-10k needed to replace the engine with something more modern.
From the pics on B&O I would say the hull is not too old but the engine may pre date the hull. The trailer is a West Mersea one, and is probably fitted with an Alco axel. Search for Alco and see what that will let you in for.
One last thing is that the Porter was formerly BWM DS21 so a search for one of those may turn up some more examples. The Parker 6.3 is again based on the same hull. Again worth a search. Andre had inboard diesel one (suprise, suprise) as a demonstratoe a few years back.

If you are down my way, I would be glad to let you have a look around mine. PM or email me for a phone number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26-3-05 (Small).JPG
Views:	201
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	27047  
Old 22 May 2007, 13:12   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Yep. Mine went into the mould as a BWM and came out a Porter. BWM went bust while the epoxy was curing.
Porters made the BWM hulls and the Tohatsu ones too.
The Tohatsu hulls are not BWM, but my console is very like a Tohat one I believe..
Old 22 May 2007, 13:15   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday View Post
If you are down my way, I would be glad to let you have a look around mine. PM or email me for a phone number.
Hi Mark

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all that down. Anything that can make my V8 Disco seem cheap cannot be a bad thing - I won't feel so guilty when filling her up at the petrol station...

I'm down to Prinsted this weekend so I'll give you an email - are you around nutbourne this weekend?

Thanks again I really appreciate this.
Old 22 May 2007, 13:17   #76

Quote:
You might be right, I was under the possibly wrong impression that the Tohatsu RIB's, Solents, and Renegades were pretty much one and the same.
Alex, as Mark has pointed out the BWM 21 became the Renegade. The BWM XP21 of which only a couple were made became the Tohatsu / Solent. The BWM XP21 was a copy of a ....... and so it goes on. Anyway all built by Porters along with some funny little things with sticks and rags that are always falling over even in chi harbour.

Pete
Old 22 May 2007, 13:28   #77

Quote:
Alex as Mark has pointed out the BWM 21 became the Renegade. The BWM XP21 of which only a couple were made became the Tohatsu / Solent. The BWM XP21 was a copy of a ....... Pete

That'll explain why a friends Porter 6.5 Sport/Baracuda looks nothing like mine, and nore like an Avon.
Old 22 May 2007, 13:38   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday View Post

That'll explain why a friends Porter 6.5 Sport/Baracuda looks nothing like mine, and nore like an Avon.
I might know a little more than I did yesterday - but I have no hope of reaching the knowledge that you lot seem to have I am not worthy
Old 22 May 2007, 13:44   #79

Enjoy your course and take your time choosing,

What will be, will be

Pete
Old 22 May 2007, 13:46   #80

Quote:
There are 198,836 posts on ribnet, oh and then there are the archives
I'd better get reading... Perhaps not all of them otherwise might miss the Summer, oh and Autumn and Winter...