Old 21 May 2007, 19:28   #41

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not telling you not to buy the petrol inboard - but bear in mind that less popular = no easy to resell.
Good point. Perhaps that is why the Humber we like hasn't been sold yet although it does appear to tick all the other boxes.
Old 21 May 2007, 19:32   #42

Quote:
that second hand diesel rib prices were likely to be little affected by the new tax rules.
Would diesel be noisier that petrol - as in cars? Sorry if this is a blond question - I am.
Old 21 May 2007, 19:40   #43

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Hi sarah G

I've never seen so many replies so quick in my life.

I wonder..
Old 21 May 2007, 19:50   #44
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Would diesel be noisier that petrol - as in cars? Sorry if this is a blond question - I am.
There is certainly a different sound to them. Not sure if noisier or not - probably depends on the build as it would be quite feasible (even common?) to put sound insulation in the enclosure round an inboard - whereas an outboard will have minimal sounds insulation.

2-stroke engines are generally accepted as being noisier than 4 stroke - if that matters to you. I'm not sure how much the decibels change but the tone is very different.

Bear in mind that unlike a car enginer (which is probably sitting at 1/3 of its maximum revs when "cruising") boat engines are usually run at 3/4+ so will be loud....
Old 21 May 2007, 19:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
Hi sarah G

I've never seen so many replies so quick in my life.

I wonder..
Sorry - work with computers so tend to be really sad and have it on most of the time... I also have to learn a great deal in a short time
Old 21 May 2007, 19:53   #46

Quote:
2-stroke engines are generally accepted as being noisier than 4 stroke - if that matters to you. I'm not sure how much the decibels change but the tone is very different.
Am I right in thinking that there are environmental plans to stop people using 2-stroke engines - or have I just had a horrible nightmare.
Old 21 May 2007, 20:00   #47

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Sarah, There are no plans to ban exisiting 2 stroke outboard engines from being used, there are however much stricter laws in place that mean that engines being manufactured from the beginning of this year have to be much cleaner, most manufacturers have opted to go down the 4stroke route as they are a much cleaner, however there are also a new generation of 2 strokes that are designed to meet these regulations such as the Evinrude ETech or Mercury Optimax.

Are you planning to keep the boat on the water or would you trailer it every time you want to use it?

Realisticaly how many adults and Kids would you need to seat comfortably for long distance travel?

Chris
Old 21 May 2007, 20:00   #48
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Am I right in thinking that there are environmental plans to stop people using 2-stroke engines - or have I just had a horrible nightmare.
Traditional 2 stroke engines can no longer be made or imported into Europe (to comply with enviro rules). However this only affects new engines and not 2nd hand ones. I am not aware of any plans to outlaw 2nd hand ones (I hope not )

There are "new technology" 2 strokes - known as direct injection (the oil is injected directly into the cylinder - not to be confused with autolube - where the oil is mixed with the fuel first). Examples of direct injection outboards are: Evinrude E-tec, Tohatsu TLDI, Mercury Optimax...
Old 21 May 2007, 20:14   #49
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
I note a lot of enthusiasm for these and Avon SR's.
I ve got an Avon SR4/ 50HP Mariner, they are quite possibly one of the best ribs ever made, very industrial and great fun, but abit small for you.

PM Biggles or roycruse, they both have a Ribcraft 5.85 with 140HP 4stroke, which in my view is the ultimate family cruising package, as JK says the 140HP isn't entirely necessary but you can never have a enough power. Ribcraft are one of the few big names that have customer service similar to you get with a car of the same value, they are very slick and professional and their ribs are very well built.
If your after something abit more sporty less commercial you can't go far wrong with the Solent 6.5 and 150 Opti, I have spent a number of hours helming Brucehawskers's 'Farfetched' and the combination really is a fantastic package that just inspires confindence.
For your budget and your intended use primarily as a rescue boat a Ribcraft 585 would my choice.
Old 21 May 2007, 20:20   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
Are you planning to keep the boat on the water or would you trailer it every time you want to use it?

Realisticaly how many adults and Kids would you need to seat comfortably for long distance travel?

Chris
Hi Chris

Planning to launch each time needed and realistically minimum number of people would be 3 but regularly 7-8+ pottering around say Chichester harbour or for a quick blast outside, but occasionnally more.
Old 21 May 2007, 20:22   #51

Quote:
Traditional 2 stroke engines can no longer be made or imported into Europe (to comply with enviro rules). However this only affects new engines and not 2nd hand ones. I am not aware of any plans to outlaw 2nd hand ones (I hope not )
I think they would have a hard job to ban it outright but I had a feeling that - like cars - they are looking at ways to hit all our fun.
Old 21 May 2007, 20:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
PM Biggles or roycruse, they both have a Ribcraft 5.85 with 140HP 4stroke
Thanks AD. We nearly bought one of these last year - it was fab but unfortunately we were gusumped at the last minute and we are now only realising what a good buy that boat would have been.

We will keep our eyes peeled - not literally...
Old 21 May 2007, 20:29   #53
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Thanks AD. We nearly bought one of these last year - it was fab but unfortunately we were gusumped at the last minute and we are now only realising what a good buy that boat would have been.

We will keep our eyes peeled - not literally...
No probs,
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk

This is the ultimate place to buy a second hand boat, I ve bought my last 3 boats on there. Ribcraft themselves in Yeovil often have some ex demo or recondtioned 585's for sale too.
Old 21 May 2007, 20:32   #54

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Hi Chris

Planning to launch each time needed and realistically minimum number of people would be 3 but regularly 7-8+ pottering around say Chichester harbour or for a quick blast outside, but occasionnally more.
Sarah,

Bear in mind the seating arrangements. You are only likely to fit that many people on a 6-6.5m rib if some of them are on tubes. .
Two single with two double jockeys behind seems to be a common setup on that size boat, with maybe a two person bench moulded into the front of the console. You'll possibly get 3 kids or an adult and two onto a double jockey seat.

I probably would not want to be going out in anything but light conditions with people on the tubes, although I have done it once down the Thames - it's hard work holding on at speed!

Neil
Old 21 May 2007, 20:36   #55

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
pottering around say Chichester harbour or for a quick blast outside, but occasionnally more.
If you want to stretch yourself distance-wise it might be worth having a look at the cruising section here Sarah? It always seems a bit safer in company and there are a good few of us in the Solent area so lots of opportunities for spins.

Good luck with the course & good for you

Kathleen
Old 21 May 2007, 20:49   #56

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Hi Chris

If you want a rib with proper seating for 7-8 you are definately going to be looking at something over the 6 metre mark. People can sit on the tubes however this is not ideal over long distances.

Take into account what vehicle you are going to be towing with, the combined weight of a 6.5 metre RIB, engine and trailer could mean you need something fairly hefty to tow it with.

Chris
Old 22 May 2007, 08:01   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
I probably would not want to be going out in anything but light conditions with people on the tubes, although I have done it once down the Thames - it's hard work holding on at speed!
It might be fun for a few minutes but the novelty may wear off very quickly.
Old 22 May 2007, 08:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens View Post
If you want to stretch yourself distance-wise it might be worth having a look at the cruising section here Sarah? It always seems a bit safer in company and there are a good few of us in the Solent area so lots of opportunities for spins.
I think this is great - I really look forward to being able to join in. I always think that camping and sailing are so much more fun with other people, we have so much to learn it would be great to see 'experts' using their boats.

Thanks Kathleen
Old 22 May 2007, 08:13   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
Take into account what vehicle you are going to be towing with, the combined weight of a 6.5 metre RIB, engine and trailer could mean you need something fairly hefty to tow it with.
Thankfully we drive a Disco V8 as my husband often has to tow trailers for work. Hopefully this should be up to the job (at least it prepares us for the cost of running another gas-guzzler!!!
Old 22 May 2007, 09:07   #60
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
I'm sure this is probably irrelevant, but on the subject of towing. If you both sat your driving tests before 1997 you're OK, but if not you'll need to take another test to tow anything with brakes.

Its also worth reading Nos's beginners guide as it might just contain something you hadn't thought of.

Don't mean to come across as patronising in the slightest as you obviously do have some boating experience...