Old 19 August 2019, 19:18   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: Knotty Rita!
Make: Zodiac pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Rib under 5m that will do 40+Knots?

I have an older avon 4m with a 40 hp Yamaha engine, will see around 36 mph two up.
I have recently decided to get something a bit more modern but found it to be a bit of a minefield out there.
I quite liked the zodiac projet 350 as it seemed like fun but how practical would it be with 3 lads fishing ? Doesn't seem to have anything to attach a spare engine to.
I also enquired about an AVON 400 DL SEASPORT JET RIB which seemed to tick most of my boxes. Problem is it was only pulling 30 mph when advertised as a 40+ Knots boat....
My wee runaround only has a pulling weight of 600kg, for obvious reasons i'd prefer that weight to be nearer 400kg or less.
Main wants are pulling weight related, having a bit of room to fish off but when there are no fish biting I want something to have a good blast about in....
I quite like the avon ribs under the deluxe category but have to be practical as well....
What are peoples thoughts on the above ? If I ditched the jet rib idea and just got a 3.8m-4.5 metre rib would that give me the space I yearn for ?(I think it would if set up correctly). What kind of hp engine should I be looking for to get that boat into my 40 Knots+ territory ? Two stroke vs Four stroke ? I would prefer something between 2k and 5k as I have other hobbies and interests so 'said' boat would be out on the water maybe 5-8 times a year!
Old 19 August 2019, 19:47   #2

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Most RIBs of that size are going to be unuseable/unsafe at 40 knots. You'd be over-powering it to get it to that speed.

A Zapcat is about the only thing that springs to mind, but that's not a RIB.
Old 19 August 2019, 19:59   #3

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Slightly longer than 4.5m, but my 4.7 searider with a 70hp Tohatsu (max rating) did 34 knots, I had a 4.8m ribcraft that did about 32 knots with a 70hp evinrude.

Seen both boats with a 90hp on, but mine would chinewalk with a 70hp, so doubt it was particulary great.
Old 19 August 2019, 20:58   #4

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
I have a 4.5 m with a 60 hp on and it will get to about 36 Knots. I would not want to go any faster as it gets scary
Old 20 August 2019, 00:18   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
TBH, unless you're going to change the tow car just forget anything bigger than your current Avon, or go bigger for a better ride and a consistently higher speed rather than short bursts of spinebreaking then hour of regret. I've done 40 knots on a 4m Searider. It's scary and if a mackerel had farted nearby I'd have had serious problems.

Anything sub 5.8m that's not a Zapcat is going to be bloody dangerous at over 40 knots. You'll have about 6 inches of the hull in the water and if anything goes wrong you'll be right in the smelly stuff.

Besides, once you start putting more than just yourself onboard it's going to take a lot more power to get that kind of speed.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 14:29   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Hmmm under 5m 50 knts, stable, fishing, tall order......oh and weighs 389kg dry so should be towable with wee runaround......

https://youtu.be/Gi7lS2yPSFU

Or any other PWC with some mods.......
Old 20 August 2019, 15:15   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Just for perspective, I had a Ribcraft 585 with a 175 Evinrude Ficht RAM (2 stroke DI) I could get that to 47kn & it wasn’t for the faint hearted. I doubt very much if you’re going to find a craft that ticks all your boxes:-
Price/weight/speed/capacity/size. You could actually take the price out of the equation. As you’re going to struggle on weight/speed/capacity/size.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 16:01   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I'd have thought the OP would have got the message by now
Faster in Safety = Bigger! Bigger=Larger =increased Budget= increased running costs...and possibly = Bigger Tow vehicle.
By all means up-grade when the time is right for you...but you'll never cram a Quart into a Pint Pot
In the meantime the destinations and company you travel with/share experiences with are the most important thing.
The Gurnard's adventures show this to us all time and again

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 16:21   #9

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6883.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	130548
Ribcraft 4.8m
Yamaha 90HP
51mph no problem at all
Old 20 August 2019, 17:37   #10

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Attachment 130548
Ribcraft 4.8m
Yamaha 90HP
51mph no problem at all
Dunno if an RC 4.8 is do-able for less than 5k. And you'd need to find a Yam 90 two stroke. And then there'd be the caveats about exceeding the plated max hp for insurance purposes. But yeah, based on the test sheets off the RC website I can see a 4.8 with a Yam 2 stroke breaking 40 knots.
Old 20 August 2019, 18:18   #11

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
It's the chine walking that is the limiting factor. Valiant 490 etec 60 max speed 29 to 32 in but the boat is too unstable. Best usable max speed is circa 23 to 25 in

Tsm
Old 20 August 2019, 18:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I'd have thought the OP would have got the message by now
Faster in Safety = Bigger! Bigger=Larger =increased Budget= increased running costs...
If you knew me personally you'd understand. Sometimes going bigger just slows you down but 'yes' , I am getting the message

Just to reiterate a bit on the OP, I would rarely be going flat out but it would be nice to have on the calmness of a wind free summers day.
On a recent trip I ran out of space and had a bit of excess weight. In all honesty if I adjusted the trim i'm sure i'd have a different outcome but on that day I was struggling to hit 6-8 mph full throttle. I know the trim was messed up but the little space we all struggled to accommodate made me start my journey into finding a more suitable boat, hence the question....

I'm still none the wiser but I know roughly what I want, whether I will find it is a different question but thanks for all the replies....

One last question while many may be catching up...

How do I know i'm buying a genuine boat ? How do I know it's not been stolen ? Is there a hpi check for boats prior to purchase ? I pulled out of buying the zodiac because the guy removed the advert as soon as I showed interest, made me suspicious and if it was genuine his behaviour made me run!!!
Old 20 August 2019, 18:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
It's the chine walking that is the limiting factor. Valiant 490 etec 60 max speed 29 to 32 in but the boat is too unstable. Best usable max speed is circa 23 to 25 in

Tsm
I was looking at a zodiac 350 (3.5m) projet rib. It comes with an inboard 2 stroke (83 hp) Yamaha engine and is advertised as a 45 knot rib. That's 52 mph

As stupid as my original post now sounds you have to remember i'm a bit of a novice, asking dumb questions because i'm actually none the wiser on what's what with powerful boating. I'll do a bit more research but every reply in this thread will help me understand that bit more, thanks ye'all
Old 20 August 2019, 19:33   #14
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
I was looking at a zodiac 350 (3.5m) projet rib. It comes with an inboard 2 stroke (83 hp) Yamaha engine and is advertised as a 45 knot rib. That's 52 mph
It's basically a jetski. You'll only do that speed with one if the water's like a mirror. Otherwise, it'll be picking up air and lose thrust.

Old 20 August 2019, 19:44   #15

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Speed isn't everything it's the enjoyment of being free and doing things other people would dream off and the company that is with you. The gurnard is a fantastic tour guide and host and on his trips out the company of friends that accompany him make it magical and unforgettable
Old 20 August 2019, 20:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It's basically a jetski. You'll only do that speed with one if the water's like a mirror. Otherwise, it'll be picking up air and lose thrust.

Ok Guys, I maybe made a slight mistake in not explaining what I actually meant.
I know when it gets slightly choppy or the sea develops a swell I'll be struggling to get 10 knots, I've been there!!!
What I am looking for in the Op is something that can achieve 40 knots (give or take) in perfect conditions....
In reality I am quite content doing 10-15 knots through the waves, just looking at the bigger picture, what engine and boat would suffice in perfect boating conditions …..
I'm feeling a zodiac projet 350 or avon delux setup is where I should be at. My uncle has been into boats on the west of Scotland his whole life and recommends a normal outboard engine, i'm here on ribnet hoping for a breakthrough in to me spending my money wrongly
What should I be looking at buying ? If I just go my own way it will either be a 'Hit' or a 'Miss', usually the latter which ends up a rather heavy expense....
Old 20 August 2019, 20:34   #17

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Attachment 130548
Ribcraft 4.8m
Yamaha 90HP
51mph no problem at all
Ribcraft 4.8m is rated for 70hp. If you have look at this, then Charlie is operating it in near perfect conditions.

The reality of a 4.8m in Scotland is more like this!
Old 20 August 2019, 20:51   #18

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It’s an old and underpowered one at that with the 701 motor from the SJ very reliable but no guts.... (always wondered why they went with Webber motors for 4 strokes not Yamaha (perhaps Yamaha would sell them) or Webber had some left overs after Polaris pulled out of PWCs ???

The 1800cc supercharged 4 stroke motor is a different kettle of badgers

Picking up air is the best bit........and 85mph on glass is doable with a few tweaks (US CG regs limit them to 70ish factory spec) but without internal engine upgrades 85 is achievable (remap, prop, wheel, intake, intercooler, ride plate)

Quote:
Ok Guys, I maybe made a slight mistake in not explaining what I actually meant.
I know when it gets slightly choppy or the sea develops a swell I'll be struggling to get 10 knots, I've been there!!!
What I am looking for in the Op is something that can achieve 40 knots (give or take) in perfect conditions......
Easy even in decent swells a ski will run 30+ mph if the operator is up to it......25knts isn’t an issue (well not till the next day)
Old 21 August 2019, 09:43   #19
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
What should I be looking at buying ?
If that's an SR4 that you have, put a good 2 stroke PTT 50hp on it (Yam or late Merc 2T would be my preference) and prop it right and it'll come very close to 40 knots, but it'll be far more fun the times you can't do that as well.

You'll be going a damn sight faster in it for longer when it's not flat calm too. Dunno if Gibbo is still on here, but his with a Yam 50 on it used to do propstands.

Having driven one of the little Avon jet ribs, I'd suggest you'll get very fed up very fast trying to get more than 2 people on it for a day out as well.

Old 21 August 2019, 12:24   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Ribcraft 4.8m is rated for 70hp. If you have look at this, then Charlie is operating it in near perfect conditions.

The reality of a 4.8m in Scotland is more like this!
I think the "reality" is a lot more like THAT... where EVER you are off the Coast most of the time anyway (in a 4.8 RIB) of our wonderful United Kingdom!
Nice Video...even if it was a little Short!
Hole Shot wins out over Top end every time!
I'd like to see a small Jet Drive 4m Tender two up in that...or having seen a few ..probably not!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib