Old 23 March 2007, 09:57   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Rib training/ Courses?

Hi
My son is 14 and getting a bit keen on driving my rib.
what courses are available to extend his knowledge?
Thanks
Tony
Old 23 March 2007, 10:38   #2

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
Powerboat 2 is the way to go, basic handling and manoeuvres at slow and faster speed, and some theory.
cost me £102.
Old 23 March 2007, 10:41   #3

Length: 6m +
Hi Tony,

At the age of 14, your son is old enough to take the Powerboat Level 2 course.

He would do exactly the same course as anyone else, however at the end of it, his Level 2 Certificate would be endorsed "The holder of this certificate should only drive powered craft under the supervision of a responsible adult".

Note, this differs from the endorsement on the Powerboat Level 1 certificate for 8 - 12 year olds, which reads "The holder of this certificate should only drive powered craft under the supervision of a responsible adult on board the craft".

Not all schools offer youth courses, so worth giving your chosen school a ring to check.

Not so much of an issue at 14, but for younger kids (You can do a Level 1 at 8, a Level 2 at 12) it's also worth checking which boats the school uses, as some of the larger craft are a bit unwieldy.

Paul Glatzel (www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk) uses a 4m Searider for Kids Courses, Doug Innes uses a 4.5m Tornado (www.stormforce.biz), and at Haslar Sea School (www.haslarseaschool.co.uk) we use either a 4m searider or a 4.8m Ribcraft. Those are the only schools I can remember off the top of my head that use smaller boats for kids courses.

The course is usually a good one, and covers all aspects of powerboating from slow speed maneuvres, to man overboards, high speed handling, and passage planning.

You could either send your son to a training centre for the course, or you could have an Advanced Instructor take the course on your own rib.

Hope that helps,

Jimbo
Old 23 March 2007, 10:43   #4

Length: 6m +
I forgot to say - the endorsement on the certificate is for under 16's, so when he turns 16 you can apply to the centre who did the course to have a new certificate with no endorsement issued.

Other courses worth considering for an all round knowledge would be the 1 day VHF course (again, under 16's do not get a full license), the 1 day First Aid at Sea Course (no minimum age) and perhaps if you're feeling really keen the 1 day Sea Survival Course.
Old 23 March 2007, 15:04   #5

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Thats fantastic help.
many thanks