Reminds me of one of the (many) other stupid things I've done with boats. I was on holiday in Salcombe on the 'other' boat, a twin-engine cruiser, and, as it was a nice flat day, decided to tow the tender (Bombard 2.5m) with brand new 2.5hp Suzuki 4-stroke (also makes a good auxiliary for the RIB), round to Thurlestone for the day instead of hauling it aboard. All okay at displacement speed but at some point on the way round, I absent-mindedly (to put it generously) increased speed to ~16kts.
I arrived at Thurlestone to find (i) oars and inflatable seat missing (ii) tilt bracket on o/b mangled (iii) millky looking oil in the oil-level window. I suppose I was luck not to lose the SIB completely (actually I did that once as well) but at least I learned how to change the oil. Managed to get the tilt arm repaired and all okay since then.