Trade member
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel

Around a moving vessel are high and low pressure areas and in part this is one of the key areas of danger. At the bow there is a high pressure area, ditto in the area of the stern wave however towards the middle of the vessel and the rear there are low pressure areas that can suck a vessel in.

This is called interaction the Pilot boat drivers use this to come alongside moving vessels to transfer the Pilot first by pacing and then using the low pressure to ferry glide them in alongside. Another reason to keep 100 metres clear of any vessel operating in the precautionary area in the Solent saw a lovely classic day boat (sailing ) get sucked in alongside a container ship and spat out the other side in bits. Thankfully the crew survived . It is not recommended to try this unless you have a good understanding of the forces involved and even then to only practice at slow/ moderate speeds as in the safety boat course.
Tim Griffin
RYA and RLSS UK Training and Rescue Centre
07876 623124 follow us on twitter @GriffMarine
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 02:56   #12
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
When I work in the North Sea we have to regularly transfer from the Fast Rescue Crafts to a 12 metre Ribworker and from both vessels to larger vessels up to 50,000 Tonnes I've done this at least 500 times without a problem and the transfer is always done between two static boats. ( in theory I'd prefer to be pacing, but that aint the way we do it!)

Lines are attached to the bows of the two vessels and the boats are pinned on in reverse. The crew then slither over only under the instruction of the coxwain of the boat they are leaving. ( the rump of the transferee does not lose contact with a boat during this time.)

Stuck in a traffic Jam - it could be worse!

Is a link to a thread with some pictures on the third picture you can see the 12 metre tied up alonside a FPSO (about 50,000 tonnes) thr fast resue craft then ferries the divers over to this Rib which is in fact a mobile diving platform

Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 04:05   #13
Town: Oxford
Length: no boat
Interesting conversation about pacing, and i'd agree it's the best way for RIB to Hardboat in the rough but..

Originally Posted by timboli
Is there any reccomended way of doing this in biggerseas?

In my experience you can't go alongside at even slow speeds when it's very rough with 2 RIBs unless they have very similar hulls and tube heights, otherwise you're putting your tubes at risk. We have two boats at work, (SR4.7 and tornado 4.6) and you can put the tornado tube under the SR tube at anything above about 5 knots, because they ride so differently. Any real wave height and that's not so good!

Surley, if it's calm enough to put the boats hard alongside each other, then any means of doing it is the same, whether you use the engine to hold them together (pacing) or ropes, the load on your tubes will be similar, and depend on how well the two boats match up to each other, the wave hiehgt and how well you can keep them head to wind.

If it's rougher than that then it's interesting!
Watersports and Event Photography, Oxford
Andy_Rs600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 05:24   #14
Town: Crosshaven
Boat name: erm..Miss Betty
Make: Souter/Avon/ILC!
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2*75hp Yamaha
Pacing/Slow speed transfer

Hi folks,

2 things being confused - RNLI no longer practice pacing on station (normally 12-14kts alongside ALB or similar about 18" apart) due to dangers. This was used to practice station keeping for under way helo t/fs. Slow speed transfers are practiced, recommended to take place at minimum speed for larger vsl to maintain steerage (3-4kts?) and clear comms to have taken place beforehand; considered best option for transferring cas if needed to be underway.

Of course - the best rule is leave the pt on the cas vsl if at all possible & only t/f in load&go situation! I know query relates to non-SAR tho.

In rough wx could you consider lying to sea anchor if t/f between RIBs? I have found tying together inevitably results in wrenching as they move to different parts of the wave. It's never going to be pleasant whichever way...

Not sure about tying a line to the person - at least if they fall in untethered they can float free & one rib can go around and collect, otherwise they risk being minced or squished between hulls. Pt in stretcher is always unstrapped for moment of t/f for that reason.

ribrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 19:48   #15
Town: Oxford
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by ribrunt
Pt in stretcher is always unstrapped for moment of t/f for that reason.
!!!!! Does that mean your stretchers don't self right if they go in the drink with pt in?
Watersports and Event Photography, Oxford
Andy_Rs600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 08:19   #16
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Originally Posted by Paul F
Good drill if you can do it.
RN used to train at 20knots+, once alongside if wheel set right you can even let go of the helm as pressure wave and suction keeps you alongside. Be prepare for speed increase as your boat gets sucked in alongside. bit harder on rib to rib as boat can ride up onto tube or go under tube.

I did that on my RYA level 2 although it was completed with the RN
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 08:23   #17
Town: Ramsgate
Boat name: Windrider
Make: Quinquari Marine
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard 2 x ETEC225
Pacing In Rough Weather

Long thread and one that has probably run its course but just from practical experience from the good old Ministry Of Defence (...or pretence!!!)
We only pace when either it is a real dire emergency (ie CASEVAC on Eurphrates at night under fire in Mar 03) or on inshiore waters when there is little significant swell (Loughs etc) . I have only paced using boats of similar size (MIBs etc) and with Royal Marine oppo on the other craft who have a pretty good handle on what is required. I support all the previous views in that unless it can be absolutely avoided, either stop and come alongside briefly to transfer or find a sheltered point and transfer there. Having been on an RN Pac 22 when it went over the stand on boat which left the boys with cuts and brusies and HM The Queen looking for another RIB it was not the best experience!!
John Winskill

PBI & Safety Boat Instructor,
Boatmaster & Owner
Tel: 01229 582811
Mob 07771 508610

WINDRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 11:03   #18
Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150xr2
It makes intresting reading I guess it's always going to be dangerous however it's done. have asked a guy I was best man for, these questions as I know he has done this kind of work on many occasions in some very bad weather, once he said his boat had been over more than once, and he was involved some years ago in the sea raid, would love to know more, but that's not going to happen.
ribit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 13:16   #19
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Originally Posted by ribrunt

"helo"..."t/fs"... "vsl"... "comms".... "cas"..."pt"... "cas"..."vsl".. "t/f"..."SAR"... "tho".

"wx"... "t/f"..."Pt"... "t/f"
You gotta load of keys broken on your keyboard, or did you post this via a text message?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2006, 14:04   #20
exspyrd trayd membir
Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
did you post this via a text message?
downt bee a twatt yew twatt. dats ow dem nobburs inn de eemirjency sirvisis speek orl de tyme.

wx... itts pissin dowen
cas/pt... sum fkker wots bleedin to deth
lowd an goe... chukk de bastud wots dyin innto sum uvver nobburs bote an
fuk orf bakk to de stashun beefor de teelaydy gows ome.
sar...lukin forr a cas/pt yewshully 200 myles fromm wher thay arr. arrt ov yewsin tenn werds wen wan wil do

wen yew gett yorr noo tawnado inn de worter diggy yew can tork lyke dat

Originally Posted by WINDRIDER
CASEVAC on Eurphrates at night under fire
i aynt cumin onn wan ov yorr ribb rydes mait

luk arfter numbir wan, downt stepp inn numbir too
The Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote