Old 28 June 2012, 16:09   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Rib to Scilly Isles 23rd July

Thinking of scooting over to the Scilly Isles for 5 days on Mon 23rd July or possibly over the 21/22nd.

Firstly wondered if anyone else is heading over at this time?

Secondly wondered if anyone knew a handy slip near Sennen or anywhere close to Lands End that we can use and anywhere we can leave the car and trailer safely for 5 days?

When we get to the scillies we are planning on a mixture of B+B's and camping. Will the rib be safe enough on moorings / anchored or is there a marina I can put it into?

Been out 12 miles or so before fishing and diving, obviously if the forecast is crap that week the rib can stay behind and we'll do something else for the week or postpone it.

I have a Lowrance Plotter with recent Navionics chart covering the scillies and back up GPS devices on my phone etc will the plotter and some common sense suffice or is local knowledge crucial?

Thanks. Sorry for such a novice post. I will have a proper search on here and read all of the previous posts regarding the scillies before I go!
Old 28 June 2012, 16:25   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Hi, if you use the search facility, there's piles of info re. Scillies trips.
Old 28 June 2012, 17:58   #3

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Once you're there it's fine, just keep an eye out for rocks. St. Mary's is a safe bet.
Check the islands out on Google Earth and print it out for the voyage, it's not necessarily for navigation but gives you a very accurate idea of what types of vessel moor where and how. This does give you a confidence boost. Do one overall and then zoom onto each of the boaty areas and mark "north" on each page........once laminated this will be a cool aid for you.
Old 28 June 2012, 21:42   #4

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Penzance in the best place to launch with good secure parking not far from the slip. Isles of Scilly Parking Co.
My favourite camping is on Bryher with excelent moorings very close with Bryher Boatyard, Isles of Scilly
You can take boats over on the scilonian ferry with all your camping kit.
But everythingneeds to be booked well ahead as July is peak season.
Navigation, do a thorough passage plan, so you know where you are going, there are lots of rocks, sand banks and big tides to catch the unwary.
Remember plenty of fuel, as if you have a big head sea you will use 2 -3 times your standard fuel consumtion.

Some of the best boating and beaches to be had anywhere!