Old 10 August 2016, 12:55   #1

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
RIB Storage

Hi All, would be interested in your experiences of the various Boat storage options in the South. I am based in London, ideal location for storage would be along the A3 or M3 or M4 corridors, given I will use the boat either in the Solent, Cornwall/Devon or take it to Ireland via the Holyhead ferry. Around the solent, Chichester is better than Beaulieu etc purely from an access standpoint. I have a full cover being made currently, but covered storage still preferable to me - but is it necessary? I was thinking about the engine in the winter. Security critical and ease of access over the weekends also really important. Somewhere to connect a hose and wash the boat down after use and flush the engine etc would also be a distinct advantage. I have considered Dry Stack - but the cost prohibitive. Especially given how little I will be using the boat. RIB is a Zodiac Pro Open 550 on an Indispension Trailer so around 20ft total length. Thanks in advance Best JT
Old 10 August 2016, 15:58   #2

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
I appreciate your point on the cost of dry stacking, but we dry stack! Lol
Got to say the convenience of a email or phone call to the yard and your boat is ready to go, spark up, lines away and your off
I'm not sure if your thinking of staying afloat or trailering but if it's the former you've got the added cost of anti-fouling and the detrimental affect of the boat being in the water for a prolonged period of time. I've done all sorts over the years but found dry stacking by-far the best for us. Why don't u try it of a few months as see how it works out for you?
FYI the yard we use also wash and refit the cover to the boat after every use ( all for a easy life )
Old 10 August 2016, 16:16   #3

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the note. Storage in a yard away from the coast, even indoors v Drystack is quite a big gap in terms of pricing as far as I have learned - however if your pricing is competitive then I would be happy to explore it. The boat is 5.5m Zodiac - what would this cost on say a 12 month basis.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan
Old 10 August 2016, 18:35   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Try MDL Marinas. They have 17 marinas all over the south east and west. Most have facilities for boat on trailer storage and you can visit any of their other marinas at no extra cost. Also, slipway fees are included as is parking. Cost is about £20 per metre per month but if you pay bi-annually in advance it brings the cost down a bit.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 10 August 2016, 19:48   #5

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
Quote:
Originally Posted by estevezo View Post
Try MDL Marinas. They have 17 marinas all over the south east and west. Most have facilities for boat on trailer storage and you can visit any of their other marinas at no extra cost. Also, slipway fees are included as is parking. Cost is about £20 per metre per month but if you pay bi-annually in advance it brings the cost down a bit.

Cheers,

Steve.
iam glade i have drive ! so out touch with prices
Old 11 August 2016, 07:42   #6

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi,

FYI, dry stacking your boat at my yard would cost £2,430 (inc vat) for summer use and winter storage, or £2,700 (inc vat) for year round use and storage. It's not the cheap option, but you will find you use your boat an awful lot more

Regards

Steve
Old 11 August 2016, 08:36   #7

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi,

FYI, dry stacking your boat at my yard would cost £2,430 (inc vat) for summer use and winter storage, or £2,700 (inc vat) for year round use and storage. It's not the cheap option, but you will find you use your boat an awful lot more

Regards

Steve
Absolutely, we're defiantly on the water more than when we used to trailer - I emailed our yard this morning and the boat will go in sometime tomorrow ready for Cowes fireworks tomorrow evening and of course the weekend!

We've had some glorious days on the water where we'd probably not bother trailering and all the associated faffing but gone out due to the ease of dry stacking
Old 11 August 2016, 19:51   #8

I hear you all on Drystacking and using the boat more, realistically I had my old boat (25ft Trophy) on a marina and the last year I owned it I used it 3 times...... So I dont expect to be using the boat all that much during the year. Hence dry stacking less viable for me, it would just be a waste, and then I still need to store my trailer so that I can get the Boat to Ireland every year. My work and other commitments and family life just does not make it viable. Have found some good storage options on the South Coast (Chichester) at around £900 for the year indoors which is not bad and access from 7am 7 days a week, and around £10 a week outdoor storage just off the M3 near Sandhurst at a water ski club, but access times are not great. At the moment I am paying £10 for indoor storage on an ad how week by week basis in North Wales. Would still like to find indoor storage between A3 and M4 corridors or their hinterlands at a reasonable price. Anyone any ideas?
Old 13 August 2016, 11:44   #9

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post
I hear you all on Drystacking and using the boat more, realistically I had my old boat (25ft Trophy) on a marina and the last year I owned it I used it 3 times...... So I dont expect to be using the boat all that much during the year. Hence dry stacking less viable for me, it would just be a waste, and then I still need to store my trailer so that I can get the Boat to Ireland every year. My work and other commitments and family life just does not make it viable. Have found some good storage options on the South Coast (Chichester) at around £900 for the year indoors which is not bad and access from 7am 7 days a week, and around £10 a week outdoor storage just off the M3 near Sandhurst at a water ski club, but access times are not great. At the moment I am paying £10 for indoor storage on an ad how week by week basis in North Wales. Would still like to find indoor storage between A3 and M4 corridors or their hinterlands at a reasonable price. Anyone any ideas?

Eastlands Boat Yard - Home Page
Old 13 August 2016, 16:36   #10

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
How wide is the 5.5? I used to keep my pro 500 in a container. Safe, secure and out of the weather.

My current boat doesn't fit in one but my last three boats all did - worth looking to see if your's will.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 20:00   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
What about a caravan storage place e.g.

Caravan Storage & Motorhome Storage: Surrey & Hampshire

I currently use a dry stack and whilst it is very convenient the jury is out as to whether the convenience justifies the cost. At the end of the day if you try one method e.g. dry stack and it turns out not to be for you then you can always change storage methods next season.
Old 13 August 2016, 20:01   #12

Town: Reading
Make: Mariah
Engine: Inboard petrol 190
Try Trafalgar Wharf. At the top end of Portsmouth Harbour. I was paying I think 79 pounds pm for 6.1m boat on a trailer. They have their own slip, but it is not usable at all states if tide. Have power and water available.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 24 August 2016, 17:55   #13

Hi All, so the upshot is - after much analysis of slip availability and tidal access times etc and boat access times (rather restricted in some places) and required notice periods to get the boat ready. I have elected to .......... yep as many of you suggested - Dry Stack! Yep you were all right. On balance it makes more sense. Looked at Trafalgar and at Drivers in Southampton and a couple of others for Dry Stack and also all the dry storage and also the places I could keep the boat on a trailer (South Coast Group etc). In the end Southampton Dry Stack came up trumps and have agreed to a great deal where they will put it outside for 6 months, inside for 6 months and also store my trailer. Everyone I dealt with in every company where very helpful and tried to accomodate my needs. Portsmouth would have been a better location given I am in west London, but the Southampton guys where very flexible and come across as super accommodating, and the references from other boat owners using them where excellent. So I am Bringing the boat to them on Friday. Will let you all know how it goes and thanks again to everyone for your input and help. Best J
Old 25 August 2016, 13:05   #14

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZulu View Post

Cheers,

Steve.
Reading that am i right in thinking MDL store your boat/trailer @ £20m and you don't require a full berth?
Old 25 August 2016, 13:33   #15

Yes I expect so - though i think it may be more like £20 per metre per month. I looked at a couple of options and some where cheaper than tnhis. On trailer storage in Portsmouth with the Dry Stack guys was around £70 a month on the trailer (5.5m RIB), they offered free use of the slip but the slip was tidal and only available 2.5+ and 2.5- the tide. They did say they could use the straps to put it in and out at £80 each way, but £160 for each launch I felt was a bit steep. So with that said and young kids like me, my risk was I could get the boat in the water on a saturday and then not get it back out again and then have to wait around for the tide etc so it just was not viable for me. I could trailer it to other slips but they too can be busy on the nice days on a weekend when everyone wants to be on their boat on the same day. On the drystack they will also wash down the boat and flush the engine after every use so for a little over £2k a year I figured it was worth the price difference of hassle free usage and the boat out of the water with its cover on and they also agreed to "find a home" for my trailer too. Horses for courses of course and with older kids and more time and more flexibility on my hands I would have stuck to my guns of indoor trailed storage in Chichester. Hope that helps
Old 25 August 2016, 14:31   #16

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss_uk View Post
Reading that am i right in thinking MDL store your boat/trailer @ £20m and you don't require a full berth?
daboss,

£20 per METRE.
Old 25 August 2016, 20:35   #17

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi,

Glad you went dry stack rout in the end Hope things work out for you.

Steve

Tags
rib