Old 05 July 2009, 15:13   #1

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ob 200hp
rib shape

please give your opinion on these two observations

1) why some eu & us ribs have snub bow tubes were as uk are pointed.

2)allso outboard are being mounted on platform extensions past the transome
Old 05 July 2009, 15:31   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul holder View Post

On point 2 we hope to see a full review in next RIB International of Armstrong brackets fitted to a 650 and a 785, my basic understanding is the bracket extends the boat length (ie. a 650 becomes a 750) and puts the engine/prop in smoother water making it perform better all round. (very basic)
Old 05 July 2009, 15:37   #3
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
On point 2 we hope to see a full review in next RIB International of Armstrong brackets fitted to a 650 and a 785, my basic understanding is the bracket extends the boat length (ie. a 650 becomes a 750) and puts the engine/prop in smoother water making it perform better all round. (very basic)
If that's right, would it work for any length of RIB?

I think the snub nosed/square bow's are more for the leisure/big tender market aren't they?
Old 06 July 2009, 08:26   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:

Is it not easier (therefore cheaper) to connect port & starboard toobs when you "only" have a 45 degree bend to worry about?

Quote:
I'll echo C2's comment here, but it does park your main weight a lot further aft so may adversley affect handling on a non race boat. Rememebr the boat will have been designed to take the engine on the transom....... (think the difference moving full portable tanks around o na small RIB) I do have to ask, if you want more space, why not just buy a bigger rib in the first place?
Old 06 July 2009, 09:52   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
You have more clear deck space with the engines mounted on a gill bracket.
Old 06 July 2009, 13:20   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
i too thought that snub /blunt bows were aimed at the foreign leisure market small ,boats look wider and there fore look safer for the general non boating public especialy if used as a tender ,plus side is you can run up to a jetty or wall or another boat and hold it there whilst persons emb/disembark a bit easier in evening dress,,,not likely where i come from lol,,,,,with regards to engines further aft unless the hull is extended i dont see much speed ,,in theory though the longer the hull the faster it will go for a given hp ,,why destroyers were long and narrow and owing to displacement boats riding on wave set up ,its like pushing a log through the water the longer the log the faster it goes ,no doubt some academic on here will explain it better .lol
Old 06 July 2009, 14:27   #7

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
The theory on having the outboards further back is that they can run higher which in turn results in less drag from the gearbox - the faster you go the better it gets, I would imagine much below 50 MPH the advantages would be limited to more space and the C of G further back if that is what is wanted.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2009, 11:28   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
You have more clear deck space with the engines mounted on a gill bracket.
Another one that puzzles me..... My outboard doesn't sit on the deck, and even at that, it only overhangs the inside of the transom by the grand total of about 4".

Two 30L hulk tanks on the other hand take up substantially more space! .......
Old 07 July 2009, 12:17   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Measure it again when it's trimmed right up!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 11:29   #10
RIBnet supporter

updates

RIB international magazine have produced in this issue the report on the two Armstrong brackets we took out in April snow/hail storms which cover the new brackets and how they worked/performed on these boats for the day
Old 17 July 2009, 11:47   #11
JSP

Quote:
RIB international magazine have produced in this issue the report on the two Armstrong brackets we took out in April snow/hail storms which cover the new brackets and how they worked/performed on these boats for the day
What where your thoughts on them Ian?
Old 17 July 2009, 12:05   #12
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
What where your thoughts on them Ian?
It was a wild day, we took the 650 and 785 out with the armstrong brackets on with Paul Lemmer who helmed through most of each section of the tests.
We started on a cold bright day with a forecast of heavy rain so we all carried our Gecko helmets. Later in the test all four of us were wearing then due to the hail storms.

I have used both the 650 and 785 for some time without the brackets and had read about them at the Southampton Boat Show last year where boats were sold with them.
Each of these boats had a similar engine fitted to mine.

I did not know what to expect with Paul's test and we certainly put the boats into, with and along the waves and wind/over tide which would made for some wild riding but these did actually sit down well and held their position well. It appeared to me that we did not find an angle that made them twitch or even be a danger to a user.
The feedback I was given was that it did improve them. Have you read the report?

Considering full throttle and not pulling back for some of the test runs I was very pleased with the ride and felt safe at all times, I would not have run a boat in a similar manner as a norm and would have throttled back as I carry passengers

I took a neighbour with me to load the RIBS and he had only done a couple of boat runs and he just kept smiling! or was he?

The photos dont do it justice as it shows it very calm, there is another test write up on a Coastline 7m where photos were done just before we started out tests and you can see the water changing and we were protected here behind calshot spit for those images. The rest was out from here with wind over tide and weather beating us!!!
Old 17 July 2009, 12:23   #13
JSP

Quote:
It was a wild day, we took the 650 and 785 out with the armstrong brackets on with Paul Lemmer who helmed through most of each section of the tests.
We started on a cold bright day with a forecast of heavy rain so we all carried our Gecko helmets. Later in the test all four of us were wearing then due to the hail storms.

I have used both the 650 and 785 for some time without the brackets and had read about them at the Southampton Boat Show last year where boats were sold with them.
Each of these boats had a similar engine fitted to mine.

I did not know what to expect with Paul's test and we certainly put the boats into, with and along the waves and wind/over tide which would made for some wild riding but these did actually sit down well and held their position well. It appeared to me that we did not find an angle that made them twitch or even be a danger to a user.
The feedback I was given was that it did improve them. Have you read the report?

Considering full throttle and not pulling back for some of the test runs I was very pleased with the ride and felt safe at all times, I would not have run a boat in a similar manner as a norm and would have throttled back as I carry passengers

I took a neighbour with me to load the RIBS and he had only done a couple of boat runs and he just kept smiling! or was he?

The photos dont do it justice as it shows it very calm, there is another test write up on a Coastline 7m where photos were done just before we started out tests and you can see the water changing and we were protected here behind calshot spit for those images. The rest was out from here with wind over tide and weather beating us!!!
Thanks for that Ian. Very interesting stuff. Must try and get a copy of the mag to read. Been asking WHSmiths to get it in for 3 months now

Did you notice if the RIB was more stern heavy at rest and underway?
Old 17 July 2009, 12:27   #14
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Thanks for that Ian. Very interesting stuff. Must try and get a copy of the mag to read. Been asking WHSmiths to get it in for 3 months now

Did you notice if the RIB was more stern heavy at rest and underway?
Not at all. You just notice the engine is sat out towards end of tubes but apart from that you have to take a second look to see what is different- fits well and matches shape of RIB. Even would give you a bathing platform when at anchor or even a good position to recover someone from the water. I have a fitted folding/extending ladder at the stern and this would probably negate that need if MCA saw it as an alternative!
Old 17 July 2009, 12:38   #15
JSP

Out of interest then, would there be any point fitting one to an old 5.4 searider? And how much do they weigh?
Old 17 July 2009, 19:07   #16
RIBnet supporter

No Idea if this would help, quite dear I guess for smaller craft- here is the link to the company if it helps but only seen them on a few boats and tested on these two, the literature will always paint a favourable review but the tests we were part of did have a good feel about the boats and the test figures although not released due to weather conditions I think were very good when I was writing them down in the wet.

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackets.htm
Old 17 July 2009, 19:20   #17
JSP

Thanks for that Ian. I doubt they would be cost effective for old boats.
By the sounds of it-it performed well and I bet it looked good on the back of your 7m.