Old 27 December 2002, 21:41   #1

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
RIB Security

With regards to the theft of RIBS, there is a way of deterring thieves on top of the normal security measures, e.g. locks e.t.c.

Look at :- http://www.smartwater.com/

There is a marine version coming soon. This can't be seen by the naked eye, therefore the thief would not know where it was.

Just another tool in the prevention of theft and the aggro it causes.

Pete

P.S. And yes I know sperm could do the same thing, but this is a little less personal, don't you think?
Old 27 December 2002, 23:22   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
D'oh!

Just a tad too much basic information about the body fluids, Pete! My future-mother-in-law was reading over my shoulder (I'm using her computer), so I had to explain that you're an ex-squaddie who hasn't acquuired the social decorum of the civilian world.
Old 27 December 2002, 23:39   #3

Pepper,

I did not want to offend anyone, I was just pointing out that the smartwater is as good as DNA. Perhaps a plucked hair would have been a better example, I do apologise. You will see that I did not put any smiley faces there as it was purely a technical example that I thought a few here could relate to. With what I have seen getting put on here, that is mild and at least a good technical example. I'm sorry it freaked out your mother in law to be, best not let her see the smartwater if you get any it may scare her to death

Pete
Old 28 December 2002, 09:15   #4
Trade member

Town: Yeovil, Somerset
Boat name: Ribcraft1
Make: Ribcraft
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to jace
The latest theft prevention scheme that’s backed by the BMF is the new Boat mark electronic tag. Consists of a chip that is placed in the GRP hull at manufacture that contains the boats HIN number and can be read by an electronic scanner. The idea is that Police will eventually be able to do instant spot checks at Boat jumbles etc. Whether it will catch on with manufactures, probably U.K. only I expect. There is a retro kit going to be available apparently.
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2002, 10:21   #5

Jace,

I think that you understand that the chip will only protect the hull, the smartwater can be 'splashed all over'. Makes it good value for money, both would be the perfect solution.

Pete
Old 28 December 2002, 12:03   #6

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Security is always an issue when its not east to fit a lock.
I have looked at the boat alarms, car alarms etc but non of then looked suitable for a RIB

To this end being a electronics engineer by trade I have spent some time coming up with a solution for my new RIB.

Its a combined GSM/GPS engine running software that allows you to send it a SMS with a user name and password and it will send back its current status, ie any alarms that have been trigered and it current location, speed heading etc as a SMS to your phone.

It also will send an alarm with the same information when any one of a number of sensors are triggered, engine hatch, etc.
It can also be set to send a location update every 15 minutes.

The whole things runs from the main battery and would run for many months without flattening the main battery.
The idea is that it is concealed being about 100mmx75mmx50mm its easy to hide.
A would be or actual theif would even know he has set of an alarm is being tracked.

At present its only been designed for me but if people are interested it would not be a big job to make more of them.

If anyone is interested in more info drop me a e-mail.

Regards Gary
Old 28 December 2002, 12:30   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Sounds interesting, Gary. Is this as home built solution or a commercially marketed one?

It sounds a bit like a cross between a "Tracker" device and a fixed carphone which Motorola used to make - if you put it into "alarm" mode, it would ring you up if the car's ignition was made live without password de-activation.
Old 28 December 2002, 12:46   #8

Hi Pepper

No its not a commercial solution as its not being sold upto now.

This is the sort of stuff I design at the company I work at so while not being activaly sold it has been done to the same standards as a fully commercial product.

If there is sufficient interest maybe I would release it as a product.

And yes its simiar to tracker but you dont have to go through them as the information is sent and requested from your mobile phone.
This way with a pay as you go SIM is can cost peanuts to run rather then £15-25 per month.

Also a feature i forgot to say is its capable of doing audio so you can listen to whats going on on your boat.

Regards Gary
Old 28 December 2002, 13:39   #9

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Outboard locks

Anyone got a good idea on how to remove one of these without the key?

I appear to have lost BOTH keys to the lock (type that fits over the bolt thread).

I know it does not matter all the time the engine does not need to be removed BUT that might not be the best time to contemplate this idea!

Daniel
Old 28 December 2002, 16:13   #10

Gary,

I think I know what you are getting at, if it is what I think then it has been available for at least 5 years. I have put in a link that may be of interest to you, this is just one example. These systems can be found cheaper as they are a relatively simple set up, the most expensive part is the GPS receiver, the next is the cost as you rightly say of the GSM line. The rest is up to your imagination and what you want to use to activate it. Pepper you could put one in the mother in law to be's handbag, then you would know when she is behind you. !!!

http://ggsmark.com/abvehtrac.html

Hope you find it interesting,

Pete
Old 28 December 2002, 16:49   #11

Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Send a message via AIM to Andy.R
There is a device avaliable for the car here which can probably be marinised. Also think I have seen them on eBay in the past.
Cheers,
Andy.
z
Old 28 December 2002, 16:51   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Garygee
Any idea how much one of your devices would come out at?
Old 29 December 2002, 18:17   #13

Hi everyone

The unit I was talking about is based on two pieces of electronics I designed for the company I work at with some custom software to give it the desired functions.
I have seen some of the links shown, but not all. One the problems with some of the kit is current consumption they are fine on a car that ger run every day or two but would flatten the battery if left for weeks.

I have never really considered that it could be sold as a commercial item till this post, being done as a project for my needs.

I will have a chat with my company and see what I can do to make some of these available and put a cost toghther.

I should have an answer by end of first week Jan. So anyone interested either drop me a e-mail and based on numbers I will e-mail people back with a cost and what can be done.
I will also put the info on this post.

All the best Gary
Old 29 December 2002, 20:38   #14

Gary,

Please put me down as interested, thanks for being so kind.

I certainly need one on my mother in laws car, I just found her looking over my shoulder while I was on the PC, I was looking up virus software, she thought I had some type of medical virus I had to try and explain that I was a responsible person who wanted to be protected and protect others.

Pete