Old 08 December 2002, 16:15   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Seats

Scotty we are in a similar position with the bench seat on the Hysucat, over the past few weeks when time allows we have being working on a mould for jocky seats, you may have seen the posts on the site, to be fair before we do any more long haul stuff we are going to fit jocky seats.The bench seat is comfortable strong and good for stowage, it can acomadate two people, however jocky seats are the ultimate ,low centre of gravity and as you know allow you to sit as if on a motorcycle , it is difficult to stay seated as we are in rough weather , what we are after is better stability, comfort and saftey.We have yet to make the seats , when the Hysucat came to Ireland it had no seats for the driver and you drove standing up!

Old 08 December 2002, 17:24   #2

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Can you not make seats with suspension built in like some of the modern cycles have on the forks?

Pete

Old 08 December 2002, 17:29   #3

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
The seats in the Redbay cabin RIBs have suspension. The boats themselves are a bit pricey however. I wouldn't say no if someone offered me one of those beasts with a couple of diesel inboards!

Matt
Old 08 December 2002, 17:45   #4

Have you ever seen a jockey seat with suspension, or would it be impossible to make?

Pete
Old 08 December 2002, 17:50   #5

Never seen one, but it'd be doable. A few shocks between the base of the seat and the seat itself, with one of the rubber protectors like mountain bike forks have between em to keep the shocks clean. You'd need quite strong shocks though to avoid damage caused by them moving from side to side. Perhaps we need a RIBnet R&D department to look into this sort of stuff

Matt
Old 08 December 2002, 17:56   #6

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
suspension

I have heard of it once on a rib with bucket seats, one problem though it would have to be stainless steel and this would be an expensive seat, remember guys this is a first seat building project so we are going to keep it simple and double up on the foam
Old 08 December 2002, 18:01   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: suspension

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
double up on the foam
Gavin, from my brief experience on RIBs, the harder the foam, the better the seat.
Old 08 December 2002, 18:38   #8

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Do they make Stainless steel shockers!

Scotty, I got beaten on the last Ireland challenge and going around your lovely countrys coastline is definitely unfinished business. The Irish guys on the event were talking about setting up some form of Irish Rib Club....has this happened yet?

I realised as I was rallycrossing the Camel across, and up and down Ireland that I really wanted to do it again as a member of an Irish team. I think my little Scorpion would be much better suited to the job.

If you fancy teaming up . then send me a PM

Cheers
Stuart
Old 08 December 2002, 19:09   #9

Been giving the suspension jockey seats some thought. Yes, they would be taking a lot of punishment, but I reckon no more than the shocks on a proper (ie not one of those 100 quid jobbies from Argos) mountain bike unless you're out in some serious conditions. A possible problem, however, is the cost. Proper suspension mountain bikes cost a lot of money, and most of the cost IS the shocks. One of the better front suspension forks is going to set you back 200+, with rear shocks being a similar price. As the seat would need at least 2 shocks, you're looking at a lot of money. If, however, you went with something like the more basic bikes have (such as my cheapo bike), the rear shocks cost nowhere near as much, and are basically a thick spring. These can also have a certain amount of preload applied, through the use of a simple nut above the coil, on a threaded barrel. Turn it one way to tighten the suspension, the other to loosen it.

I reckon it could easily enough be doable, but you wouldn't find out how much comfort is gained (if any) until you've built it (and therefore paid out). Could be interesting though.

Matt
Old 08 December 2002, 19:32   #10

Narked,

Why not try strapping the bike frame to the RIB and trying it out?

I'm sure some clever sod could adapt the frame to fit in a jockey seat. Anyway the technology is already there for the cheapo bikes, it's just a matter of speaking with the manufacturers and doing some adaptions, I best get down to that patent office

Pete