Old 15 May 2006, 16:56   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
rib seats

I know the subject of jockey seats v bench seats/bucket seats etc has been discussed many times. However a friend and ex boat racer recently commented on an open rib with wrap around single person seating and lack of upper body/neck restraint. He believed this to be an issue as it was an open boat and due to the forces possibly exhurted in the case of a flip over. Anyone see any weight in it?? he been in the water alot more times than me (never) so i had to hear him out!
Old 15 May 2006, 17:17   #2
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
The main difference as I see it, is that in a race hardboat you sit very much in the boat, and due to the speeds that attain a flip or a barrell roll happens very quickly. In a rib, I reckon that you'd be flung out rather than slammed around amongst the furniture. Therefore a killcord and a lifejacket are numero uno.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:25   #3

so what about a race rib then?? Im suprised more people are not opiniated on this...
Old 17 May 2006, 07:30   #4

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Go for some of these seats, I did over 200 miles with my fat arse on one over the weekend and it was great
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rathmor Seating.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	19317  
Old 17 May 2006, 08:16   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
As most people know we have sit down seating as opposed to jockey seats - they were designed by Kitten and also function as low speed bolster type supports. Our seats are also much lower than a conventional RIB with a console which means you arn't as exposed to the sideways effort involved in a hook. Our hull design is also less prone to hooking as well having excellent visibility from a low viewpoint. All race boats have to have bucket type seats, they are driven much harder in all sorts of conditions, and I believe them to be more comfortable for going fast - they are also easier to stay in when it gets really rough - it depends on wether you want great big bucket seats taking up all that room in your boat, and how hard you are realistically going to drive your boat?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2006, 10:13   #6

so what about in a big sea cookee... do you think a bucket seat has more support to hold you in a boat but could possibly transfer bit more shock into ur backside as unlike a jockey you dont use legs as suspension!! which brings me on to another point, whats the point in jockeys with suspension.... isnt that what ur legs are for on a jockey seat!!!!!
Old 18 May 2006, 10:36   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I think speed is generally a bigger issue than sea state.

Up to, say, 40 knots jockey seats are great. You can sit when things are smooth, or stand when you need a better view or if it gets a bit rougher. Standing up you can use your legs as shock absorbers, and brace yourself against the seat pod and the backrest.

The problem comes with greater speed as you're perched on the RIB rather than sitting securely inside it. Much above 40 knots and the only sensible choice is a bucket seat or stand-up wrap around bolster. The bolsters are a popular choice on serious powerboats and offshore raceboats.

If you flip a boat with bolster seats, and you stay in it, there's a possibility that you're going to damage yourself. Whether or not the lack of upper body/head restraint will be the biggest issue I don't know. However, turning a RIB upside down is quite unusual, and even racers driving flat out don't do it very often. Getting thrown out of a boat because it's being driven fast and the crew are insecurely seated/standing is becoming more common.

When RIBs first came out with jockey seats, 30 knots was pretty fast. Over the last few years as RIBs have got bigger and more powerful we're seeing more problems with people being ejected. It's something that manufacturers of fast RIBs ought to be giving more thought to. The "wings" on some seat backs go some way to help, but I don't think they are sufficient.

So to cut a long ramble short, on a fast RIB I'd rather have wrap round seating of some sort than jockey seats.

John

BTW gtflash, which boat were you thinking of? The Cougar?
Old 18 May 2006, 11:09   #8

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Years ago I saw a V large rib in Lymington that had what can only be described as vertical coffins or sarcophagus’s for seats they had bolsters at bum height and seemed to fit quite closely around head and shoulders of the crew.
What I thought was interesting about thsi design was that if you were thrown vertically up the top of the coffin held you and sideways the same. Your only real risk was being thrown forwards but with arms and a console to stop you maybe the best direction to go Des
Old 18 May 2006, 22:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
BTW gtflash, which boat were you thinking of? The Cougar?
well i did like the cougar seats! Seem ideal or hunton hardboat seats mmmm!! but cant afford the mounting theyre stuck too! u may or may not know im a hard boater planning to convert and have put alot of thought into the seating of ribs. My delay in buying a rib is the sit on feel not sit in, especially with a nervous co pilot. Had a lovely run out on an ocean with paul lemmar and liked using my legs for suspension on way back on the rough bit offt of calshot heading back to cowes i stayed sat on a not to plump back seat and it didnt seem much worse!! I like real seats still but jockeys are rammed down ur throat on ribs as the only way to go and i really think theyre ugly so am kinda lookin for other ideas and thinking aloud. a bucket seat on suspension maybe or a highish bolster seems most ideal comprimise!!
Old 21 May 2006, 11:37   #10

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
GTflash Sorry for not replying sooner - I've been at another show untill today!

I think JK sums it up very well - the only thing I would add is that some seating suits some boats better than others - Our seats allow a bolstery type perch for slow speed use when in the harbour etc, then flip over for a sit down bucket type seat when at sea, the advantage being they ar enot as high as rally seats that are typically used in racing so they don't obstruct the visibilty of the rear passengrs and affect the look of a boat as much.

You are welcome to come and try our seating (and the boat) anytime!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2006, 15:18   #11

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash
My delay in buying a rib is the sit on feel not sit in, especially with a nervous co pilot.
I think a decent jockey seat with back rest will be most comfortable in a leisure rib, as you can either sit or stand. I stand 99% of the time when driving & find the Scorp jockeys just fine - you kind of lean into the back rest and feel nice & secure. Foot straps would also provide a degree of security for a nervous co pilot.

Ian