Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Go on, spill the beans...who were they?

I would be hilarious if they turned out to be some of the the ribnet "elf 'n safety" policemen!
Somehow I get the feeling you would hope that I would be one of these.

I must admit I felt very guilty today when I was on my RIB without a lifejacket for 30 minutes. But I was sat drifting outside Alderney harbour on a flat calm sunny day. I know I should have been wearing the jacket. And I certainly would have been if i'd had paying kids and grannies on board under my control and supervision.
But thats the difference I was in an environment in which i'm comfortable and aware of all the risks. For those where it is not so you might well need "ribnet "elf 'n safety" policemen!"

Old 12 August 2007, 04:40   #12

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
well im happy to put my hand up and say for all the 30 trips i did between east cowes marina and town quay (Red Jet) i did not insist on jackets - but if we left town quay and turned left towards the solent then it was compulsory.....

I believe in common sense not henious political pandering..

Old 12 August 2007, 05:07   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: fletcher arrowbeu
Engine: johnson 175
MMSI: 235057234
True lets get this life jacket and safety thing into perspective! if your out there on a sizzling hot day and anchored up somewhere for some lounging about, snorkeling, swimming, fishing or whatever then take the firkin fing off unless of coarse yu cant swim, after all i pay good money to own and run a boat for a few reasons the main one being to have fun too the maaaax but that duz not mean that i am being irresponsible, its just using my common sense in a situation to make things more comfortable, Er something like that anyway
Old 12 August 2007, 08:09   #14

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
As Nik says we got inspected on Tuesday morning. I'm surprised the MCA weren't being more hot with other boats that were there. They gave us a bollocking for two life jackets which had gone off the day before (despite us having 2 spares on board) yet they seemed to turn a blind eye to people driving around at high speed with no kill cords or life jackets. I saw a fellow commercial operator with punters on board coming out of Cowes putting his life jacket and then kill cord on whilst the rib steered it's self for about 30 seconds. Fair do's if you don't want to wear a lifejacket but IMHO there is no excuse for razzing round amoungst hundreds of boats with no kill cord whether you're a commercial operator or just out for a jolly.

It wasn't just the small boats though. The Pimms boat had a bit of a run in with the red jet on Wednesday and very nearly crashed into it. Not surprising really since they all seemed to be plying each other with Pimms!
Old 13 August 2007, 03:17   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Anyone who gets done and banged up for this kinda thing gets what they deserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post

About this accident very unfortrunate and the skipper should be prosecuted for ABH at least.
Stu and John, while I said I have no sypathy for these guys, I think you are being a bit extreme. Sending this guy to jail does not solve anything, other than increase the burden on the tax payer.

I think at least one of you has to re think, it cant be that you are both agreeing!
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2007, 03:28   #16

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
I work very closely with the marine police down here in poole and we had an incident last month with a "Binliner" that struck a racing dinghy yacht and injured a lady crew on board, but the "Binliner" left the scene - so the only way to try for prosecution is thro forensics, boat marks and paint match... - alas unless the police attended the scene of the accident at the time - its unlikely much will come of it..

Apart from a lesson learnt for the guy helming......
Old 14 August 2007, 06:40   #17

Town: Hayling Island
Make: Ribtec 585
Engine: YAM F100 outboard
Whilst this thread has gone a bit general in its direction over the 10 pages...

Following on from the earlier posts.

There is no way other than describing what happen as stupid and in the same vain totally avoidable, but as said he wasn't the only ‘without lights and life jackets’ RIB'er flying about the place. Its a wonder these kind of accidents are not more frequent.

Personally I hope there are no precautions resulting from this, its only going to serve as a restriction in time on all others enjoying their time afloat, be that in the form of licenses, legislations, insurances or what ever else may come from this kind of incident.

I think the BBC report with
Quote:
Nigel Guyll, Solent Coastguard watch manager, said the type of speedboat they were on is capable of speeds of up to 60mph.
almost suggesting this was a 60mph RIB, sensationalises the incident some what. It most certainly was not a 60mph RIB.

And anyway, any kind of inappropriate speed in said conditions is chancing enough, let alone in the confides of Cowes and Cowes Week.

I understand the so called spinal injures were not the case, although as very serious as it was.

I can not, nor would, jump on the band wagon with those, not necessarily from RIBnet – this crash has been widely discussed elsewhere, stating to be holier the holy and condemn the man’s actions and suggest they should through the book at him and through away the key, an all that!

I know full well over may years and RIB’s & boat’s past I have not always worn a lifejacket, not always attached the kill cored, not always had a VHF, not always gone without a pint, not always been correctly illuminated at dark. All in the same vain I could not hand on heart say I have never exceeded the speed limit on the Queen’s highway.

So as in no way a defence for what occurred, but as mere humans, as we are, it’s an all too often a trait of the species to right royally f-up on occasion.

No one was killed, thankfully.