Old 14 July 2003, 23:23   #1

Town: Southampton
Rib Racing

Thought you Ribsters might like a gander at theses photos! Never say ya cant over cook a Rib..... he he he!! After the Exmouth Race!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 revengers.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2534  
Old 14 July 2003, 23:31   #2

...... Did they leave the bung out? Only joking! Not funny turning a rib over at speeds of at least 88mph (tongue in cheek) or was that Mike & Jackie Hunt's speed?
Attached Images

Old 15 July 2003, 08:20   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiona P
...... or was that Mike & Jackie Hunt's speed?
When did they get married?
Old 15 July 2003, 17:33   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
They look like the same hulls to me. Is that significant?
Old 15 July 2003, 18:58   #5

Sure ya not talking about the hulls Dirk? Heard that in Exmouth they do things differently! After one hell of a good weekend racing - what I can remember of it, all I can say is - It all happens in Exmouth!!!!!! he he!!
Old 16 July 2003, 08:22   #6

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Racing

Both 29 revengers. Strange.
Old 16 July 2003, 16:33   #7

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
Exmouth is the place to be then if 'It all happens in Exmouth'!
Old 16 July 2003, 21:36   #8

Thought you men know ya RHIBS or is it just ya 'RIBS'? The two Revenger Hulls are not both 29ft Hulls - One is a 29ft with twin Merc 200XS (F1) and the other is a 27ft hull with a single Merc 200 XS (F2)

Shape up lads!!!!!!!!
Old 17 July 2003, 09:07   #9

Town: Nr Salisbury
Boat name: Rick o Shay
Make: Revenger
Engine: Merc 2.5efi
Fiona P,

I get the impression from your recent posts that you feel Revengers are inferior to a certain other make of rhib.

I also notice that you haven't posted any photo's of the other two boats that went over, could this be because one of them is one of your fine products, and the other is a boat that uses the same hull as yours.

Just an observation on my part, wondered what your thoughts were on the matter. If and when you reply, perhaps you would also like to explain which manufacturers won the RHIB championships last season, together with which RHIBS hold the outright speed records?

Regards

Barry
Old 17 July 2003, 20:25   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Did no one stop to give them a hand to turn them the right way up ?

Wasn't like that in my day, when rib racing was really tough.

Pete
Old 17 July 2003, 22:15   #11

Ha ha ha!! At last a bite - Been laughing with racing mates (even revenger ones) to see how long it would take! Wish I did have a pic of Chris Bryant's boat unfortunately he hasn't emailed me one - will try to get one for you Barry! he he

'Revengers are inferior' - Your words not mine! We all have our own preferances in life - Thank god we aren't all the same!

On a serious note (which is difficult for me to do on chat sites!) I feel very sorry for all the Drivers and Navigators who's boats went upside down. I personally believe that the boats were to long in the water before being craned out and could of caused further damaged to the rigging. Shame and hope they will all get their boats ready in time for Poole!

For your reference Barry, it was 2 Revengers and 1 Ocke Mannerfelt 2lt batboat (built abroad) that turned over. There was a MPL boat that spun out right in front of us, but did not turn upside down.

Stuart Antony won F1 and Mr Puddifoot F2 in 2002 - Well done to them. They are both excellent Drivers and would do well in various racing hulls, I'm sure! - Real professionals!! Shame they aren't doing so well this year hear they have a few problems with their boats! ? ! ?

Wish I could see Stuart Antony and Charlie W H in a SR9 - would be excellent ..... Love to see what they could get out of the boat! I'm sure a lot!!

Cant keep this up - I'm taking the piss! Look my name may be Pascoe but I no longer have anything to do with the business!! I'm mates with Revenger racers - So don't get the hump Barry - It's an observation not a slant on Revenger! The boats are good! I just like the SR9 my type of boat... my preference! I have friends who believe Scorpions are the best and Mr Jelly does build an excellent boat! Mr Holmes builds the Phantom Evo - fab boat and one of my best mates!! So I am very open minded.....

Keeping smiling!!

Mr Fuller - Have I done enough shit stirring for you now!! 1 large Vodka and Red bull please - collect it at the Poker Run!! he he he!! Lifes wonderful!!
Old 19 July 2003, 07:31   #12

Fi,

In the early days we talked about turning over a capsized rib in case it happended for real. The technique then was to deflate a tube on one side then have lots of bodies climb on that side. Indeed rope would be pre fastened to console/seat/A frame to assist climbing back on the upturned hull. But most ribs were in the 5.5 - 6m range. Whether this will work with 8m is another question. but since these guys seem to manage to turn a perfectly stable type of boat over with regular occurences perhaps they should try it during the next race. The problem with ribs is they float very well upside down, hence the need to sink one side / back corner. I agree though that the engine is not going to like being submerged for several hours until it is craned over.

Also the early rib racers were in the majority ruffty tuffty divers rather than the current breed of "hairdressers" like D/D or JF. Did they use to own MGBs as well ?

Nice to see the girls doing it as well, who is the hot chick with the (possibly revenger) and the big outboards ? (and Fi I am talking about engines here)

Pete
Old 19 July 2003, 10:25   #13

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi

My interst in this is what appears to be a very unusual occurence. A photograph of a RIB hull. There is a lot of talk on ribnet about different hulls, deep v, shallow v etc. However it is actualy something (perhaps fortunately) we rarely see, yet it is a very important feature of any rib.

I would like to see more upside down rib hulls (not accidental though). What can you tell us about the two hulls in the first photo?

Keith (slightly frazzled) Hart
Old 20 July 2003, 23:13   #14

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiona P
Scorpions are the best
I'm getting to like you now, Fiasco . Happy birthday!
Old 29 July 2003, 07:20   #15

Town: Hook
Boat name: Extremeboat.com
Make: Mark Pascoe
Engine: 2 * Optimax 200xs
Exmouth

Hi Pete,

The "hot chick with the big ..." if you are talking about the F1
boat is Jackie Hunt ... the boat is a Pascoe SR9 with twin Optimax. Awesome boat.

I have to say that seeing 4 boats upsidedown at Exmouth was really sad, and even worse the amount of time they spent in the water. Poor Mike Spinks only had 1 crane to handle all the boats, and the fact that all the safety divers were busy is the main reason I think they spent so much time in the water!

I think Cookies comments earlier about flat races is the reason we saw so many boats go over. Flat water, most boats going fast than they had before, adrenalin flowing and rest mist into the corners meant people were not trimming in as soon as they should in an attemp to pass their competitors. There was some pretty interesting attempts to overtake on the inside or turn buoys too, which always adds to the chances of going over!
(Chris Bryan excepted!)

On the hulls, there is almost no difference between the Pascoe (Ocke Mannerfelt) and Revenger hulls. Both are 9m, both are stepped. The revenger is a little more bulbous in front which means in theory it ought to be better in the rough and the Pascoe better in the flat, but in reality they both run much the same, so the difference is in set up and balance.

Good news is no one was hurt, bad news is getting replacements for the 200xs seems to be a bit of a nightmare! Hopefully all boats will be back in the water in time for Poole.

Fiona, Keith Slater has a picture of Chris's boat upside down on his site.

For the record, several boats did stop to assist the various mishaps, including Mike Deacon (R2), Windy (R4), Puddifoot (R6) and Gareth Williams (R22) and others too I'm sure.

Still mostly ruffty tuffty as far as I can tell, RIBs are a lot faster than they used to be. No hairdressers or MGs either

Mike
Old 29 July 2003, 15:04   #16

Quote:
Jackie Hunt ... twin Optimaxes. Awesome
absolutely,

Quote:
as far as I can tell, RIBs are a lot faster than they used to be
Agreed in the early days the navigator didn't have a seat and had to cling on for dear life, zapcat style.

Pete
Old 29 July 2003, 16:46   #17

Town: Hook
Boat name: Extremeboat.com
Make: Mark Pascoe
Engine: 2 * Optimax 200xs
Exmouth

Despite the seats, we still have to hang on for dear life

I landed on the deck twice at Inverkip, and I know Stuart and Charlie have done on several occasions too.