Old 11 September 2001, 04:42   #11

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Tsounami,

For discussion sake only. I am not planning to build my own rib, especially with my little knowledge.

Michael

Old 18 September 2001, 04:02   #12

Length: no boat
Sasa

Do you have any experience about the RIB Unlimited 600. The price isn't too bad, even when looked from the east side of the gulf!

Jari

Old 18 September 2001, 08:28   #13

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Rib Costs

I think we have all missed the point? Why are RIBS, comparitively, much more over-priced than conventional vessels?
Old 18 September 2001, 11:28   #14

Town: Athens
Boat name: Sofia - Konstantina
Make: Wave
Length: 5
Engine: Outboard 2-stroke 115 Mercury
From the number of opinions/answers that the thread is getting can I assume that most members think that RIBS are fair priced ?
Old 18 September 2001, 13:33   #15

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Pricing

Yeah, I know, that is not the question .... comparitively is the key word. You can buy a reasonably good GRP boat with all manners of gizmos etc for under 20 000! So, why are Ribs so expensive??
Old 18 September 2001, 14:01   #16

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Maybe because RIBs are fashion, need more man-hours to construct and the materials are more expensive.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2001, 15:04   #17

Town: Karlstad
Make: Viking
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mercury 90
Send a message via ICQ to sasa
Jari,

I don't have any personal experience with the RIB Unlimited boats, only what I have read and heard. The boats have very efficient hull form. The boats I've seen were very nicely built.

Mats Lindgren, the guy behind RIB Unlimited, is no stranger to RIBs. After all, he constructed RIBCAT, capable of speed over 100 knots. Is it still the fastest RIB?

So I'm quite sure you won't regret buying a RIB Unlimited if you're looking for a sleek, sporty and economic RIB.

I am meeting a new member in the Scandinavian Inflatable Boat Association this week-end and he has a RIB Unlimited 600. I'll ask him for his opinion. If the weather is decent we may even go out for a spin. I'll keep you posted.

Back to the price of RIBs. Well, small series are probably the main reason the RIBs are comparatively more expensive than their all-rigid cousins. Besides, almost every RIB is unique as you are allowed to choose consoles, seating, A-frames, lockers... And this makes it impossible to have a rational production line.

Of course, there are also big manufacturers with standardised boats. Zodiac comes to mind immediately. As a matter of fact, I met Zodiac representatives at the demonstration of their boats for Swedish journalists few weeks ago. And I did ask them why their RIBs were so expensive. And the answer was: "We don't have any real competition which means we don't have to keep the prices down. If the competition emerges we'll surely be able to do so."

Well, there you have it. We need more strong manufacturers that are selling their RIBs worldwide. Still, I feel that majority of us will keep buying "overpriced" boats simply because we like to specify how our boats should look like down to the last screw!

Sasa