Old 22 October 2002, 03:25   #11

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Clive,

Having an experience of 25 years with sibs, ribs, sialing yachts and day cruises, AND trying to keep the message short, I agree with both Alan P and Keith Hart. Put yourself in the captain's position and imagine WHAT, WHERE and how OFTEN you are going to use your boat. Compare the 2 options and find out which you like best.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2002, 04:02   #12

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
As it happens, I'm currently selling my sports boat - a Searay 240 Sundancer in order to buy a RIB which I'm researching at the moment.
Although the Searay was an excellent boat, I just felt it more suitable for Med type waters. Anything above a small chop (regular in the Solent) it banged away making life very uncomfortable.
I've been told RIBS are far more suited to a chop when you can actually have fun, and also they can be beached quite easily - or so I'm told.
If I find there's not much difference after I've tried our a few RIBs -I shall keep the Searay and never come to this forum again.

Old 22 October 2002, 04:21   #13

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Good advice

Much good advice here, even from Flanker (joke Pete, jeez wouldn't want to get the wrong side of your commando training!).
A sportsboat offers better value for money (economies of scale of manufacturing provide this), a degree of accomodation, weather protection and usually some lovely fake wood on the dash panel.
If you want to go boating on a calm day and these things are important to you then go for the sportsboat.

A RIB can do all the calm boating stuff. It doesn't have so much protection from the elements (unless you have a cabin ala Magellan Alpha) although a large console can give a surprising amount of protection. What it does give you is a very stable, very safe platform for boating. (You are after all at sea in a lifeboat or a version of one.) It will also give you a much much softer ride and much much more confidence in any kind of sea. This shouldn't be underestimated as a benefit. You may not choose to go out into rough weather (unlike some Ribsters) but if you get caught out in fairly moderate conditions you have the confidence in your boat that you and your family/friends are gonna be OK. It would be very easy to scare yourself silly on a sportsboat in conditions that would be mildy exhillarating in a RIB!

The other beauty of a RIB is that if the will takes you as your experience expands you can do so much more. Witness the things that the posters here do, often in very small boats!

HTH,
Alan
Old 22 October 2002, 04:30   #14

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker

There is no way on this earth that I would take a baby such as ours on a RIB, I don't care what anyone else says, it is more than foolish (My daughter is 1yr old).

Pete
What a load of TOSH! My 3 kids were brought up on ribs, my youngest was 3 months old when she started ribbing! It all boils down to raising kids in general. Some parents believe that the family requires adapting to the child/baby. We believe that the baby must fit into OUR lifestyle, obviously safety is paramount, always. Alan and Keith are correct, the criteria here is the application - what do you intend to do with the boat?

The waters around here, and indeed all around the UK are notorious for overfalls and a smooth sea can change very rapidly into river-rafting conditions. I know without a shadow of a doubt that if I had been in any other plastic type bow-rider boat I would have simply sunk at times. This is not through inexperience or being daft. If you want to go boating in a lake or in a quiet bay, a rib is possibly not the first choice, but the desire to venture further afield will come, a Glastron, Maxum and all those types of boats are simply not suitable.

Some of my friends think I have gone mad, going from a 34 ft Fairline Targa (with all the luxury you can wish for) back to a rib. The simple answer is and always will be safety. I simply did not feel as safe as on a rib going through the Swinge or the Alderney race in a plastic boat! I am on my sixth rib and am passionate about these boats, from an enjoyment, safety and practical point of view!

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you safe boating - as the first paragraph on this web-site says, 'get a rib, you know it makes sense!'
Old 22 October 2002, 04:49   #15

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I have some friends who used to go Ribbing last year with the baby seat securely wedged between the jockey seats and said baby buckled in place. BUT they obviously were very careful about what conditions and how long a trip they went on. (Which you'd be in whatever boat you have.)
Old 22 October 2002, 06:14   #16

Flanker,

A picture worths 1000 words right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	madie_lou_gommor1a.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1235  

Old 22 October 2002, 06:16   #17

Or maybe ...this can convience you

this can convience you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me_lou_gommor_sailing1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1236  

Old 22 October 2002, 06:32   #18

A man after my own heart Michael

A RIB toilet for kids........
Old 22 October 2002, 06:41   #19

Kids love Ribs...its a damn sight more fun than other boats. I have had friend's children asking me to go on my rib as opposed to their parents Bayliners, Sealine's etc.
Old 22 October 2002, 07:13   #20

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Hysucat

Hi Charles

Was that your 8.5mtr Hysucat. Looks good. How many seats are there, seems to be a few. All kids love Ribs. They are much more fun than conventional powerboats. We used to have a Dory which was a boring boat.

Julian