Old 11 November 2015, 07:51   #31

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I guess not all Plastic boats are as good as others

This is my uncle’s boat and he was very disappointed in its performance.
Even in a slight chop he has to come off the plane due to the “slamming” of waves on it’s flat bottom ... which goes right though your spine. I can keep my SIB (which is the same length as his boat) .. on the plane when he has to drop to displacement speeds .. as it appears my SIB a softer “slam” due to its flexible bottom.

So as with any boat ... if you get the opportunity .. try before you buy and that way you wont be disappointed if its performance is not as advertised. Looks can deceive...I think his is a lovely looking boat

Looking at a promotional video of my uncle’s boat brand..and watching the girl sitting beside the driver.. I think you can see she is getting a pretty hard jolt on the waves. A boat is always better with at least a bit of a V on the front

Old 11 November 2015, 12:48   #32

Gurnard that both interesting / concerning - your comments about your uncles boat slamming in a chop.
I can envisage that being an issue with a flattish bottomed plastic tub.
I think the Funyak has a more pronounced v on the bottom than the Whaly.
It may be more capable than the Whaly?
What are your experinces Poly with your set up in the ruff stuff?

Old 11 November 2015, 14:40   #33

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
To be honest apart from a shock seat I think you go a long way to beat the old tube for a seat for years whilst diving that's all we sat on, the thing is all boats slam just some are better than others you just drive to the conditions to suit the boat but that boat does jolt the occupants. always best to have a try before you buy especially if it's a new craft to you!
Old 11 November 2015, 17:10   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I think the Funyak has a more pronounced v on the bottom than the Whaly.
possibly in the pics but hard to say without both side by side or taken at the same angle.
Quote:
What are your experinces Poly with your set up in the ruff stuff?
The conditions we had on the way back from Belnahua to Kerrera were probably as bad as I intentionally go out in for "fun" but I've had a few times when I needed to go out in worse (e.g. to get the boat back to the slip at the end of the holiday, to recover a lobster pot before going home, because it was fine on the sheltered side of an island and I decided to go right round!).

I found the bench seat with no backrest was not ideal. Coming off a really big wave you really did need to hold on so as not to fall backwards off the seat. I was never aware of slamming through my spine down, but certainly when alone I tended to stand in bigger waves (and that seat was slightly too far forward for my comfort).

I made a jockey seat upgrade myself and its a good improvement - not from slamming just because sitting with no backrest for hours gets tiring. It does also make it easier to stand or half-stand/sit too. (It also gave me somewhere to mount a small mast for VHF).

I have no experience driving one from the "tube". Mrs P and the little P's have sat on the side seats in reasonable bumps - but probably not as big as we had on the way home from Belnahua. They complain* about getting wet not slamming. (* the kids now ask me to do it intentionally as they are older!). They like going over big wakes though - which isn't quite the same as it is not relentless but is ok.

I've little experience of SIBs in big waves, but I have experienced RIBs and for its size I'd say the Funyak holds its own for slamming. The criticism I would have of the Funyak is that when you hit a big wave it sprays right over anyone on the tubes, and if you have the trim not perfect over the helm's head too (I think PTT would sort this).

Did you find a Whaly in person somewhere local? Would they let you trial it? We could pop the funyak in and play side by side...
Old 11 November 2015, 18:46   #35

Thanks again Poly for another comprehensive reply.
I'm definitely going to have to trial whatever I'm buying as the polyethylene tub performance is an unknown quantity to me.
I saw pretty much the whole range of Whaly boats at a dealer in Glasgow.
I was blown away by the internal space on the 370 and 435 compared with similar sized Sibs /Ribs.
The dealer said that the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service had tested the 370 and we're mightily impressed.
I did have a look at the underside of the 435 which was trailered.
It was hard to see the underside of it properly tho it certainty wasn't flat but didn't have a deep v either.
The Funyak and Whaly plastic tubs tick every box in every respect of my requirements - its just the performance in the ruff I'm unsure of.
I doubt that any of the aforementioned tubs will be less capable than my honwave sib tho.
What I have established without a doubt from this thread is that I'm willing to compromise some deck space for a console and a jockey seat and I'm going to have to save up a bit more.
Quite content pimping my Sib up for another season tho.
Roll on 2016 and some decent weather
Old 11 November 2015, 19:59   #36

Town: Epsom
Length: no boat
Our sea scouts run a whaly 435 as a safety boat. Loads of space, tough as old boots but definitely not a soft ride.

It can feel very safe as you definitely sit in rather than on the boat

RichClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1447289936.104077.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	109681
Old 12 November 2015, 03:51   #37

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
kaman

don't know if you get powerboat & rib but to throw another type of boat in the orkney longliner 2 has a good write up 4.88 LOA 1.83 beam weight 270 kg power 6 - 15 tiller 15 -25 steering boat only £4392.

Golden Arrow Marine

cheers
Old 15 November 2015, 10:14   #38

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather
Make: Whaly
Engine: 30hp Mariner
RIBase
I got a whaly 435 and swear by it for a cheap, tough, unsinkable boat which needs little maintenance.
Old 15 November 2015, 11:35   #39

Hi Papajoe.
Don't know what your experience of Sibs and Ribs are - just wondering how you rate the performance of the 435 by comparison to similar sized Sibs and Ribs.
The Whaly 435 ticks all the boxes in terms of durability, space and budget.
Just not sure of the Whaly performance in a rough chop tho???
Has been mentioned that the hard plastic and flattish hull of the Whaly could make for an unforgiving ride in a chop.
I'm looking at possibly a Whaly 435 or Funyak 390 or similar with a 30hp on remote steering.
I've presently got a Honwave 3.5ae with tiller controlled 20hp.
Old 15 November 2015, 17:43   #40

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather
Make: Whaly
Engine: 30hp Mariner
RIBase
I'd say that sib and ribs handle chop better and the whaly can be a wet ride full pelt but I tend to run about 15-18knots to reduce spray. Saying that I've had it in good-size swell and I was really impressed with the performance.it's an ideal arounder and I get 9mpg with a 2stroke mariner If I had 10k then I'd have a rib, but I haven't and the whole set up cost me under £2500 for a new boat. If you're down south then come for a spin

Tags
rib