Old 27 July 2006, 14:40   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: 3m +
RIB Newbie

Hi there- please forgive me for being such a novice, but i have just tried an outing on the devon coast for the first time in an RIB and I'm totally hooked.
I'm looking at purchasing a Jetmarine 3.35m. Has anyone any recommendations for a particular type of outboard motor? The craft will only be used occasionally up at the lake district or when i go to Devon annually with a max of about 3 persons in it at any one time. Do you have to register to cruise around the lakes? Sorry for being a pain, but this is all completely new to me and want to set sail again asap!

Cheers

FWP.
Old 27 July 2006, 17:10   #2

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Hi, welcome to the forum! The first boating experience is always good, and then it gets better! We had a 4.2 zodiac sib with a 25 mercury and that was great for wizzing round the lakes on. It was when we did a trip round the Farne islands that we realized we could realy do with a proper hull! But they are good fun. You should be fine with a proper hull. In the lakes you dont need a licence, but the speed limits are everyware, 10 mph, so it does curb the fun somewhat. We had our sib for about 8 months, but they do have limits which can annoy you a bit. (a limit on how many in boat being the main gripe) I think if you bought the newest and most economical outboard you can find, thats the way to go, do a search on here for all the major makes, same with jetmarine, happy and safe boating!
Old 27 July 2006, 18:23   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: rage
Make: Ocean Dynamics
Length: 9m +
Engine: Inboard Weasel
buying the boat is only part of the process think about getting some training understanding the various buoys, tides and safety etc etc iss an imortant part of boating have a look at one of the various schools advertised on here and consider doing the L2 power boat course.
Old 27 July 2006, 19:42   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince
In the lakes you dont need a licence,
Don't think that is accurate? Pretty sure Windermere requires registration as will many of the other lakes with speed limits (to help enforce it).

Quote:
I think if you bought the newest and most economical outboard you can find, thats the way to go, d
Fuel economy matters less at this end of the engine market though. 30 L will probably last you all day on a 20HP. Fuel is expensive at the moment, but +/- 20% isn't going to cripple you or save you a fortune (whereas with a much bigger engine burning 30L/hour it might!).
Old 27 July 2006, 20:47   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Lake District Special Planning Board will issue you with numbers for a charge but heavily regulated up there. Speed limit on Windermere Coniston etc and from memory national Trust will not let you launch powerboats from their land -of which there is a lot! Speak with the wardens at Ferry Nab launch ramp,Bowness for chapter and verse. I gave up on the lakes years ago. We used to ski there sometimes and teach up there for Tower Wood outdoor pursuit centre on occasion but the speed limit stopped that as far as we were concerned.
Old 27 July 2006, 21:04   #6

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Don't think that is accurate? Pretty sure Windermere requires registration as will many of the other lakes with speed limits (to help enforce it).

Fuel economy matters less at this end of the engine market though. 30 L will probably last you all day on a 20HP. Fuel is expensive at the moment, but +/- 20% isn't going to cripple you or save you a fortune (whereas with a much bigger engine burning 30L/hour it might!).

Yup, forgot about that! been some years since on windemere, but if you went to ullswater, no licence needed there, (only there in spring) great fun island hopping!
Our 25 mercury used about 4/5 litres all day, happily at 23mph (when the lakes patrol guy was off the lake! only short bursts of course! )
Now we have a 135 mariner! (gulp swig swig)
FWP 5000 You will get pretty bored with the lakes as far as boating is concerned, a few times there and you`ll be gaggin for some more speed!
As ribrage says, though, have a think about getting properly kitted up first on the safety side, having the proper equipment only adds to the fun!
Old 28 July 2006, 09:05   #7

Thanks for the words of wisdom folks - appreciated!!

FWP
Old 28 July 2006, 10:15   #8

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
FWP

To launch at Windermere, you have to be registered which costs a small fortune from memory. I was up at Coniston a couple of weeks ago, and you can launch at the Coniston Boat Centre for £6.50 for a 3.5m RIB. No registration needed, just stick to the speed limit. £6.50 for the whole day is a lot cheaper than their £16 for an hour in a little electric thing!

I would echo everything else about wanting the speed and getting bored on lakes. Just get some training first. I did a VHF course with Dave Mallett at Wavelength in Fleetwood and would recommend him.

Tim
Old 28 July 2006, 11:07   #9

Thanks for the advice Tim