Old 09 March 2003, 19:28   #1

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Rib.net Discount scheme

JK given that the membership of this forum is circa 500+ what scope is there of offering a rib.net discount scheme for a major online chandlery / boaty type retailer

Charge fee from us to gain discount and offer reciprocal advertising for said chandlery

Probably loads of reasons why not possible, but otherwise is anyone else aware of any other boat discount schemes such as membership with RYA ?? , etc , if so what sort of discount do they offer ??

PS

Boat Jumble on next Sunday 16 March at Goodwood for people as tight / skint as me
Old 09 March 2003, 19:32   #2

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Put me down for joining if there are any membership fees.
Old 09 March 2003, 19:37   #3

CH

I guess you're very much used to burning 20 pound notes at the moment and whats a few more notes on the fire.
Old 09 March 2003, 19:41   #4

Yep sure am but I think its a good idea if Jk agrees it will maybe be of use to ribsters for yrs to come.And it all started here.
Old 09 March 2003, 22:22   #5

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
count me in
Old 10 March 2003, 09:22   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Another approach............

Hows about this for a thought. If anyone of us is looking to buy certain equipment - anything from VHF's to fenders, to chartplotters to TCW3 oil then we could post on a thread. After a set period of time , say a week, some kind vounteer or nominee could take the result and go to a number of chandlerys and say "I need 6 Simrad Dsc radios" (or whatever) "whats your best price?". If we can guarantee the multiple sale then we should get a discount. Probably far better than a general 10% off for RIB.net members as we could target the things we want to buy and maybe also the things that particularl discounts are available on.

'Course this requires someone to do the foot work - maybe the person who first posts the "anyone need a VHF?" thread. Perhaps it would work better with its own forum or as part of the buy and sell one.

Other idea would be for things that we all need like TCW3 (Ok those of us running 2 strokes) for someone to buy in bulk and resell to the rest of us?

Alan
Old 10 March 2003, 14:59   #7

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Alan good idea. I'm in for this one!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2003, 16:53   #8

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
www.letsbuyit.com uses bulk buying to get discounts. I have never used it so can't comment on whether it works or not.
Old 10 March 2003, 17:36   #9

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
I will give discount for Soltron to RIB Net members. dont know how I will be able to sort it yet, I will think about that one.

Personally if you want a very good deal then best to go to allgadgets.co.uk as John has very good prices which I think are hard to beat.

Dom
Old 10 March 2003, 20:38   #10

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

Given the other post going at the moment on the price of RIB's and this one it is clear that many people belive they are being very ripped off, which for the most I agree.

I priced up a a anode kit for the Bravo 2 in the US and could get 10 sets including shipping for the price of one in the UK.

However I am sure their are people (shops) etc out there who will do a good deal.

And I belive these shops want supporting where the ones wanting to rip us of can get lost (being polite).

To aid this how about having a section, page etc where, if people find a bargin, good shop they can post the details. People could then look their first and take advantage of what others have found.

Just a idea but see no reason why it could not be made to work.

Regards Gary
Old 10 March 2003, 21:39   #11

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by Garygee
Just a idea but see no reason why it could not be made to work.
I think that is a good idea!!
Old 10 March 2003, 21:40   #12

same here but we must get JK support or it will die a death.
Old 11 March 2003, 07:03   #13

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
The best ideas are always the most simple in theory.

These are my thoughts on the subject.

This a very good idea if we can get a major retailer involved. From the band of proffesionals that use this forum any ideas as to who may want to partake in this type of scheme. I suggest that we might approach such firms as (Force 4, Marinespeed, The Discount Superstore @ Port Solent, Aladins Cave ect).

However, if we start to sell advertising space dose this make this web site a commercial one? If so would we then need to subscribe ala BIBOA? Would this lead to memberships, committee, financier's ect.

I personally like the idea as long as the cost were kept to a minimum, say none proffit making but, is this really the way forward for Ribnet?

Most of us who use Ribnet are here because we want to be, as Rib enthusiasts, not commercial businessmen. Please I ask you all not to lose sight of this.

Being a very new member of the Ribnet I hope that my views are not too outrageous.

Regards
Old 11 March 2003, 11:59   #14

Hi folks,

Think you have got the wrong idea Aging Youth.

The idea is that people (us) put on the good deals we have found and NOT the dealers. If its just dealers & shops it would just become another advert site !!.

We dont have to stop at good deals, for example

We know a lot of marine diesels are similar to lorry units, well if we find that the XXX lorry filter is the same as the Yanmar boat filter but half the price this could go on.

It would be a "database of sorts" which allows people to find the best deals if that be the best boat shops of other suppliers outside the marine industry.

For examples I know of stainsless steel fastner supplier, quite a few switch/wiring pannel suppliers all of which you can buy the same stuff as from a chandlers but at a fraction of the price.
This is typical as many things are not make just for the boat market.

What your thoughts John is it do able and would people support it.

Regards Gary
Old 11 March 2003, 12:01   #15

AGING YOUTH

I'm with you on this one!!

Although is for JK to advise is my opinion that RIBNet should stay a non-profit making organisation. This is for the best I recon.

I have an example of the French RIB forum.

In this forum there are adverts of boat manufacturers, chandlers etc but I think is a non-profit making organisation. The people who advertise pay the Forum. There is no membership fee. Members have to register their details. Same as in the RIBNet.

So, if some of us are prepaired to devote a little bit of time to organise this one I think that we will succeed in getting better bulk prices on many items (even RIBs!!) and have a few adverts on the RIBNet site.

Possibly I am trying to 'teach my grandmother how suck eggs' here and all the above have been tried out but this me thinking loud
Old 11 March 2003, 12:22   #16

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
I Think you have got the wrong idea Aging Youth.

Hi Garygee,

I have gone through this post again to make sure I understand what was being said.

If I have interpreted what has been said correctly, there are two issues being discussed:-

1/ To set up a database of manufacturers, suppliers & retailers who are offering parts for sale at a reasonable cost to us Ribnet users/general public, though not necessarily offering additional discount . This information is to be provided by Ribnet users.

2/ To develop the Ribnet site into a commercial website selling advertising space to those same manufacturers, suppliers & retailers who want to offer discounted parts for sale.

If my understanding is wrong, then please could someone clarify this thread!
Old 11 March 2003, 12:44   #17

Yes your right on both counts, it has split into two areas.

What I am talking about is database of alternatives, suppliers etc done by ribnet members, not an advertising area

However both are being talked about on here, its getting confising but i feel they both are looking for the same end goal, to stop us getting ripped off and make ribbing cheaper.

Regards Gary
Old 11 March 2003, 13:05   #18

Data base of manufacturers etc

This data base may be useful.

However, thinking about it why we could not as RIBNet members contact the actual manufacturers. I always go to the source rather than the middle man.

i.e. If there is a group interested in purchasing say GARMIN , ICOM, MUSTO, TYPHOON etc products or may be also 2/3 new RIBs or engines to contact the manufacturers direct with a bulk order.

In this case we get rid off the middle man (who makes the profit) and we secure a good discount as well on the order. Is a thought but don't know how easy it will be to work in practice.
Old 11 March 2003, 13:12   #19

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi all

Yes think Garygee has a good idea, a database with good suppliers or suppliers willing to do good deals would be a good thing, then when a potential newbee like myself comes along looking for a gps or vhf they can compare details.
One other good point to remember though is yes we all like to get a good deal but there's a line between buying cheap and buying a good product that will last and has the manufacturer backup.
For general research purposes i've found the sites search facility very helpful indeed.
I dont think JK should allow advertising on here either as the site would become to commercial and thus spoil it, a database of useful information would be a great addition.

R
Old 11 March 2003, 18:04   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilge Rat
Hi all

I dont think JK should allow advertising on here either as the site would become to commercial and thus spoil it.

R
On the Rib.net homepage it says " please support our advertisers "

I therefore assumed ( wrongly ?) that JK was kean on having advertisers for income

Click on each different link & a different ad comes up, doubt they are there for free !

and why wouldnt he ? given the enormous amount of time he spend maintaining & developing this site surely he should be remunerated

Funny how JK is so quiet on this thread & not pitched in yet, especially when we are planning his life for him !