Old 10 July 2017, 20:45   #1

Town: kingsbridge
Make: ring 18
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 tohatsu
Rib moulds / hulls

How hard or how often do rib mould come up for sale etc?

anyone have information to share i'd be very interested thanks
Old 11 July 2017, 15:59   #2

Town: London
Length: 6m +
I would have thought this would be very rare. Its like selling the golden goose.

I would have thought that if / when a mould gets to the end of its useful life it is destroyed to avoid a company's intellectual property being ripped off.
Old 11 July 2017, 19:01   #3

Town: Dartmouth
They come up every now and again, we missed out on a 9mtr+ mould which we could have put to good use.
Are you looking for one yourself?
Old 11 July 2017, 19:08   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post
I would have thought this would be very rare. Its like selling the golden goose.

I would have thought that if / when a mould gets to the end of its useful life it is destroyed to avoid a company's intellectual property being ripped off.
It's quite common - I've seen them for sale on here. A large number of RIB hulls in the UK are splashed derived from pre-existing boats and many manufacturers seem to believe that "Intellectual Property" is the house that Stephen Hawkins lives in.
Old 11 July 2017, 20:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
They come up every now and again, we missed out on a 9mtr+ mould which we could have put to good use.
Are you looking for one yourself?
I would be interested if the right one came along - trying to gather info
Old 12 July 2017, 09:54   #6

Town: Dartmouth
I have a 6.1 mtr hull mould here in Dartmouth with a part built hull in it. It's a design of our own, non splashed/copied but we are not using it anymore.
Give me a shout if interested.
Old 12 July 2017, 13:40   #7

Is it possible to pm me some images and some info etc?
Is this demon rib hull / ribeye? Or another brand etc

Thanks
Old 12 July 2017, 15:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It's quite common - I've seen them for sale on here. A large number of RIB hulls in the UK are splashed derived from pre-existing boats and many manufacturers seem to believe that "Intellectual Property" is the house that Stephen Hawkins lives in.
Yes of course it is possible to make a mould from an existing boat....

However I sincerely doubt that a RIB manufacturer will sell their moulds...it is far better to destroy them for obvious reasons.
Old 12 July 2017, 16:46   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
However I sincerely doubt that a RIB manufacturer will sell their moulds...it is far better to destroy them for obvious reasons.
Look back two posts...

And do a search for "Mould" on here - there have been quite a few here over the years. It's really not uncommon. Read the "Big Yellow" MAIB report where the sale and resale of moulds in the UK industry is detailed.
Old 12 July 2017, 17:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Look back two posts...

And do a search for "Mould" on here - there have been quite a few here over the years. It's really not uncommon. Read the "Big Yellow" MAIB report where the sale and resale of moulds in the UK industry is detailed.
Yes, Section 1.5.1 of the report. However, this relates to the sale of moulds when a company is in receivership. All standard stuff where the liquidator is maximising returns for creditors.

Receivership / liquidation excepted, I still standby by my point that it is highly unusual for a boat builder (intending to remain a going concern) to sell their moulds...otherwise you are giving the game away to your competition...
Old 12 July 2017, 17:37   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Yes, Section 1.5.1 of the report. However, this relates to the sale of moulds when a company is in receivership. All standard stuff where the liquidator is maximising returns for creditors.

Receivership / liquidation excepted, I still standby by my point that it is highly unusual for a boat builder (intending to remain a going concern) to sell their moulds...otherwise you are giving the game away to your competition...

Sadly rib makers running out of money is not that unusual. I also recall one firm who stopped making ribs, but were still on the go doing other stuff and I think those moved around a few times between private people and very small operators. Some of the dodgier provenance moulds have also been sold on, because if you are splashing ribs you probably don't have enough business nous to worry about copies of your boats. It really isn't that unusual to see a mould being sold on.
Old 12 July 2017, 20:59   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:

You're tilting the machine now. You stated above that moulds rarely come up for sale. This is not correct, as they do, regularly. It is correct that established/solvent RIB manufacturers do not sell on their moulds. This is a different question entirely and we are in complete agreement on it.

Tags
rib